Author Topic: Towing with a cvt?  (Read 1668 times)

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
Towing with a cvt?
« on: May 29, 2018, 11:09:17 AM »
Hi,
Can anyone tell me why i am not supposed to tow a trailer with my 2011 cvt? I have just come back from a camping trip using the magic seats folded up, the boot crammed and a roofbox full of bedding and clothes. Computor average of 48 mpg over 300 miles between 60 to 70 mph. No problems with car so how can a car allowed to take 5heavy persons plus a bootful of luggage not pull a trailer? It doesn't actually have to carry any weight, just pull it along 😕.I know there are speed restrictions on trailers but I really can't see why honda say no towing,
Chris

guest7630

Re: Towing with a cvt?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 09:04:15 PM »
You'll have the weight of the people, the luggage AND the weight of the trailer to drag along perhaps

Bristolroversfc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2013 EX
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 07:42:22 PM »
Maybe something to do with the manafacturers recommendations taking into account the type of chassis,stability of car,braking etc....

chrisv

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 11:12:45 AM »
Hi,
The manual version is ok to tow, its just the cvt,
Chris

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 01:01:32 PM »
Don't forget the legal side to this. What you can legally tow depends upon the numbers stamped on the VIN plate.

There will be 3 or 4 weights in kg. The last two are maximum axle loads, and can be ignored.

The first one is the gross vehicle weight, the second number is the gross train weight. Subtract the second from the first to work out the maximum trailer weight you can tow. If you get into an accident or are pulled by DVSA, and put on a weighbridge, the GTW is the number that they will be interested in.

If the second number is blank or 0kg, then it is likely that the vehicle is not homologated (approved) to tow, and you cannot legally tow anything.

Tags:

anything