Author Topic: Selling a car privately  (Read 3714 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Selling a car privately
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 08:53:57 PM »
I would defy ANY body putting the car on a ramp and being able to find many pounds worth of work. Especially as it had a MOT last Monday under the new rules.

Rather than "find", perhaps I should have said "invent". They rely on the average punter knowing nothing.

if they want to pay by cheque they will have to wait FIVE clear days for it to clear.

I bank with NatWest unfortunately, but that's another sorry tale... they say that although funds are available for withdrawal on day 4, cheques can be bounced up to day six of the clearing cycle, so take care.

Also, be very careful of bank drafts and building society cheques. There are fakes in circulation which are so good that they complete the clearing cycle, and bounce weeks, and sometimes months later when the the transaction is noticed by the hijacked payee account. The money will be recalled, and there is no comeback for you. If in any doubt whatsoever about a bank draft, contact the issuing bank.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:58:23 PM by sparky Paul »

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2018, 02:33:49 PM »
Thanks for the tips but these are all reasons for insisting on cash. The money advice service suggest taking the buyer with his money to your bank and let them count and check it. I was dubious as I thought the bank would kick up but they said no, perfectly OK. All other forms of payment they have caveats.
As to inventing problems, they can try but  I suppose I am fortunate to be 'blessed' with a mechanical mind and understand motor cars. NOT the new stuff with all its electrical gizmos too much for my knackered elderly brain.

I would like to thank Culzean for his suggestion re Evans Halshaw, their figure was £3922 a bit better than We buy any car.
 I Emailed We buy any car as they claimed that their estimate was as good as P/X and challenged them as about a month back I was told P/X  £4000 in good order £3750 if problems against even a S/H car from a large Dealer.  Reading Evans Halshaws  conditions they state that price takes into consideration mileage and age. Problem is what price? their gestimate or what they knock off, we shall see. Still their price gives me a bit more room  to have money  knocked off.
If no luck by Thursday I shall be in contact with Evans Halshaw. Fortunately a bus stops close by them  that will get me within  5 miles of home. Then a taxi.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 08:25:44 AM »
When BCA auction had 'sure sell' for private motorists they were unbeatable for a quick cash deal, then BCA bought out WBAC and things went away west, the other company Evans Halshaw has an interesting collection of comments internet review sites, I will never use then again but that maybe just local issues.

Tags:

anything