Author Topic: New to CVT transmission - need advice...  (Read 1879 times)

JazzMan2018

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 53mpg
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4 SE CVT
New to CVT transmission - need advice...
« on: May 22, 2018, 12:01:49 PM »
Hi,

2006 1.4 Sport CVT

Very pleased with it but sometimes notice minor judder when geer changes (or adjusts? - do these actually have any gears - CVT after all!)

Normally very smooth so if this usual then I can live with it. Asking in case its a potential sign of trouble/cost to come

Background - 88k miles. 1 previous owner. FSH (mostly Honda). Last serviced 24 months, 15k miles ago.

First thought was CVT oil?

Cheers

Alan

JazzMan2018

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: New to CVT transmission - need advice...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 01:30:57 PM »
Hi,

read quite a few topics/posts on here regarding CVT...

The 'problem' is not when pulling away but when driving along. Pull away is fine.

Might be plugs/coil packs?

Booked into my nearest Honda dealer, but maybe I should stick to the independent garage I have used for years as some posts don't seem to rate dealer workshop expertise/prices?!

Cheers

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 06:59:55 PM »
The CVT doesn't have stepped gears hence 'Continually Variable Transmission'.
If you take the car to a non Honda workshop and they decide to change the transmission oil they must only use Honda CVT-F gearbox oil.

Vic.

ob13

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 jazz
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 07:23:27 AM »

Might be plugs/coil packs?

Cheers

When i bought mine it was absolutely perfect on the test drive(flat area),before i got it home it had an occasional judder , and once home and on our local hills it got worse at times it almost seemed to me as if it was going to kickdown and then up again very quickly. As time went on over next week or so and it got more regular i realised it was a missfire.

Mate told me "that 'll be plug gaps" so i took the back ones out and looked and could visually see without measuring that they were too big, tapped plugs on floor(looked better but didn't measure gap!)  put them back in and he was proved right, perfect.  1.50 each from halfords so changed all 8 the next weekend,for the sake of less than an hours work and 12quid its worth a go?

JazzMan2018

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 08:31:35 PM »
Thanks

It sounds like the same symptom - very slight hesitation then ok - just like a small jolt then car runs ok. Trying to live with it but believe CVT should be 100% smooth across all speeds etc??

Changing plugs doesn't look too difficult (famous last words!) so I think I'll try it. Which was easier - front or back?

Seen some comments that back ones got left as dealers/garages don't even know they exist!

Cheers

ob13

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 jazz
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 05:39:14 PM »
People say the back ones are hard and often get missed when servicing? i don't know how as they are the ones you can see!
Because of the angle you cant use a long extention attached to the plug spanner(14mm?) as there isn't the clearance so you have to put plug spanner in hole(keeping hold of it)and attach a short one you can fit in,then another etc til down far enough. I was expecting it to be much worse ,if you are used to motorbikes? you have loads of space to work!
So although you have to remove a cover before the coils etc i suppose the front is slightly easier as less tools,they are fairly tight and deep little recesses so make sure the tools you have are not too fat. To get plugs back in thread i used small plastic tubing tight enough to slip tight over plug as i found the rubber insert stayed on the first plug i put back in and i had to remove plug again!(still tightened properly but using plug spanner without insert after picking up thread)

Yeah gearbox is wierd to get used to no step unless you boot it and it kicks down.I love it now and done a couple of reasonably fast motorway trips lately and doesn't seem too revvy at all once you are going.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 06:04:58 PM by ob13 »

guest7720

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 08:55:25 AM »
Mr VicW

Can you please attach a link, with where to purchase the Oil in europe???

Thanks!!
The CVT doesn't have stepped gears hence 'Continually Variable Transmission'.
If you take the car to a non Honda workshop and they decide to change the transmission oil they must only use Honda CVT-F gearbox oil.

Vic.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 03:13:06 PM »
You can purchase Honda CVT-F oil from any Honda dealer. I don't know if it is available from a non Honda source.

Vic.

Tags: