Author Topic: Finding it hard to adjust...  (Read 6633 times)

guest7677

Finding it hard to adjust...
« on: May 07, 2018, 07:29:44 AM »
Just bought a 2017 EX and am very pleased with the service given by my Honda garage, and the car in general - it seems to have all we are looking for in space and economy as well as a bundle of electrical features that I am sure will come in handy once I get used to car itself. But however hard I try, this doesn't seem to be happening.

I simply can't get comfortable behind the wheel. It feels flimsy and vulnerable, with no perceivable bonnet; rather like driving around in a shop window, if you see what I mean. I also find the six-speed gearbox, though positive and slick, extremely hard work - in normal driving conditions my left hand is hardly on the steering wheel. (Didn't opt for the auto version as I heard they were noisy and power hungry but wonder if that was a mistake.) Obviously, I gave it a test drive and it seemed fine - still does, inasmuch as the steering is light and positive, the brakes reassuringly direct and the car itself very responsive; I also like the generous doors and ease of access. But however much I adjust the seat / wheel . mirror, it never feels "right".

Last car was an Audi A4 1.9 diesel; very plain, (as you might expect from something named after a size of paper), and bulky to manoeuvre. But she was a much easier drive.

Really want to get on with the Jazz - she looks a peach and cost more than any other car we have bought to date. Also our local dealer has such a good reputation and is literally walking distance away. So I'd be interested to know if anyone else has suffered problems adapting to a Jazz. Is there a transition period - will it suddenly feel comfortable? Anything anyone can suggest? (I do hope so, as there is so much to like in the car.)

Incidentally, I've been driving for over 40 years and have had everything from big SAABs to tiny Peugeot's, regularly hire heavy vans and recently took up cycling again in my 60s - so am reasonably adaptable when it comes to new driving experiences.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: Finding it hard to adjust...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 07:39:09 AM »
The feel of the car is a personal thing and I'm sure given time it will be just as much a 'glove' as the last car you owned.  As for the gears, you don't have to use them all, all of the time.  I frequently skip gears, fifth hardly get used at all.  The difficult thing for me to get used to was allowing the engine to rev high as I too changed from a diesel.

Good move though, it's a good little (on the outside) car and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

guest7677

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 07:43:34 AM »
Thanks, ColinS, I certainly intend to persevere. (And will try missing out a few gears once in a while).

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 07:50:01 AM »
I am 6' tall and it was a long while before I got comfortable. I find that having the seat right back on its sliders, in its lowest position, with the back reclined two detents with the steering wheel right out and it's rim level with the instrument cowl comfortable for me. I transferred these settings from my SE to my Sport, without problems and as expected. Getting comfortable is a personal thing, keep experimenting, it will come eventually. My SE was a manual, as said above choose the gear you need, 1, 3, 5, or 2, 4, 6, or any combination that works for the situation. My fifth gear must have felt neglected, it was rarely used.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 07:55:16 AM by Deeps »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 07:50:41 AM »
I moved from an automatic Volvo S40 to a manual Jazz so I know how you feel. As Colin says, just use the gears you need. I have a 5 speed and seldom use 4th. I happily change down from 5th to 2nd approaching tight junctions and potter about town using 3rd and 5th.
Only time I miss being able to see a bonnet is when parking close to another vehicle, but your spacial awareness soon comes. I have never felt the car flimsy or vulnerable.
I am sure you will grow to be comfortable and to enjoy your new purchase. Keep us informed of your progress.

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 07:56:28 AM »
I found it took about a week to get used to the car after Ford Fiesta Ecoboost. The seating position is more upright and it took a few tweaks of the recline and seat position to get it right for me. I'm 6' 1'' so I have the steering column up as high as it will go and maximum extension and I have the seat as low as it will go.

All the road tests talk about a noisy CVT but I have not found this to be the case over the last two months. I do have the 1.5 engine and I believe it makes a difference mated to the CVT. When I compared it to the 1.3 the car I noticed the engine did not rev so much when accelerating. Power wise more than enough for me, the trip is showing 50.9 on mixed driving now I have got used the CVT and engine characteristics.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 08:25:25 AM »
I suspect the noisy CVT reports come from so called journalists thrashing the car to see how fast it will accelerate and haven't got a clue how a CVT works.

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 08:30:06 AM »
I suspect the noisy CVT reports come from so called journalists thrashing the car to see how fast it will accelerate and haven't got a clue how a CVT works.

I did my first motorway drive only 15 miles but cruising at 70 with the throttle backed off the car was much quieter than my old Fiesta, so what is this CVT noise that the road testers talk about?

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 09:16:12 AM »

Really want to get on with the Jazz - she looks a peach and cost more than any other car we have bought to date. Also our local dealer has such a good reputation and is literally walking distance away. So I'd be interested to know if anyone else has suffered problems adapting to a Jazz. Is there a transition period - will it suddenly feel comfortable? Anything anyone can suggest? (I do hope so, as there is so much to like in the car.)

Yep, that have been the same for me.
Coming from years and years driving a Renault Clio and some fiats, it took me some months to feel good with this Jazz, clutch, engine behavoiur and brakes were different from what I was used to drive. Brakes are very "ready" since the first part of pedal travel, while the engine is not strong at low revs.
You only have to drive it..

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 09:43:53 AM »
Yes I agree with the comfort problems. Coming from various 4x4 vehicles, mostly Landrovers, i was used to the high driving position. Driving the Jazz initially felt like driving on a roller skate, so low I just could not get used to it.

However I had some seat spacers made to raise the seat runners 1" at the back and 1/2" at the front, with new longer fixing bolts. This combined with the seat right back and raised to max height has made it much more acceptable and as others have said, it now fits like a glove. Incidentally my head still misses the roof by at least an inch.

I think Borrel was misinformed  regarding CVT noise. There is no noise from the gearbox and you only really hear the engine when it's much above 3000rpm. My consumption over 16k miles shows 51.9 mpg and like Culzean says, the higher the mileage check, the more accurate the fuel figure is likely to be.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 10:04:34 AM »
I do wish that the steering column didn't intrude quite so much. I've often thought that in a collision my right kneecap could be at risk of injury if (as will presumably the case) I am braking. But I'm only 1.8m tall so I would be concerned if I couldn't fit any car.

As for the gearbox - it seems okay when I've used it in courtesy cars but the position of 6th is a bit scary being so 'close' to 'R'.

(Didn't opt for the auto version as I heard they were noisy and power hungry but wonder if that was a mistake.
Yes, I believe that was a mistake. But then I think that anyone buying a new car with a manual gearbox is making a mistake. I feel that they've had their day and should be consigned to motoring history ;)

Hopefully you can find a comfortable position soon. As for the view out of the screen - that's typical of all small modern cars. You get used to it :)

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 10:24:00 AM »
We had similar issues when moving from a Mercedes 190 to Honda Jazz the following Highways Agency guide was helpful:

http://drivingergonomics.lboro.ac.uk/downloads/vehicle%20ergonomics%20and%20best%20practice%20guide.pdf

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 11:11:07 AM »
I came to the mk3 after 7 years in a Mk 2, so I suppose I was used to the short bonnet.  However, I do like the seat well up to give better visibility, and then lift the steering column high enough to stop the key fob tickling my right knee!  The front corner sensors are useful when manoeuvring.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 11:25:14 AM »
My front and rear corner sensors are handy too. They are plastic, blue, and match the car - apart from the odd scratches and scrapes where the paint is missing!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 11:43:07 AM »
Seating comfort is such a personal issue. I find the Jazz suits my particular collection of joint ailments and I find it much better than the Civic because of the slightly raised position. Equally, when I had my Civic I used to visit Civinfo.com and you would get people complaining about the Jazz if they got it as a loan car.

Hope you manage to get the right position for you after tweaking the various settings.

Tags: