Author Topic: Is the MK3 better than MK2 revisited?  (Read 4921 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Is the MK3 better than MK2 revisited?
« on: April 26, 2018, 05:17:01 PM »
I was inspired to give my impressions by dogbiscuit's excellent review of his car. I offer a slightly different perspective however although we both "graduated" from the MK2. In my case the issue has been further complicated by the transition to a CVT from a manual. For this reason I won't touch on the gearbox.

A pleasant surprise with the MK3 has been the infotainment screen. I'm still sceptical about these things but I have found it pretty easy to use. It's certainly better for the mobile phone in that you can see all the numbers on screen and I was able to transfer numbers across much more easily - in fact it was seamless. Likewise the audio system gives you much more information. I find this particularly useful when I use my own music on a memory stick. The controls on the steering wheel are still there so, overall, I concede the new system is an improvement. The only niggle is the stupid warning that comes on after every start.

A huge improvement has been the automatic light system. On my MK2 (there was some heated debate about this!) the system was worse than useless. You could be driving on the motorway in pouring rain and dark conditions and the lights simply refused to come on even with the wipers in operation. This car works as it should and dipped headlights come on when it rains. The annoying tendency of the lights to come on late in the day despite bright sunshine is still an issue however. I think this must be a Honda issue because it doesn't seem to happen with other cars in the same conditions. It doesn't happen on my daughter's Qashqai for example.

Staying on lights I like the "follow you home" feature. We have a darkish driveway and this is a boon covering the time before our security light comes on.

The cabin is a mixed bag. Some useful storage has been lost. I felt, and this is a bit intangible, that my MK2 had a slightly better quality feel. That said the Mk3's cabin is slightly larger.

Another intangible area is the outward appearance. I prefer the MK3 - it seems to have a bit more presence.

The engine is a difficult one in that performance is tied up with the change to a CVT but the new car is a much more composed motorway cruiser. At 70 you are doing less than 2,000 rpm on the motorway and that may well be the same in the manual with the sixth gear over the 5 speed box in the MK2.

Suspension seems a bit more able to handle bumps and our crappy potholed roads but I have gone down from 16 inch wheels to 15 inch wheels so higher profile tyres might be helping here.

So I would recommend this car. I'm glad I've stayed with the Jazz. I only need a small vehicle given the type of driving I do but it is composed on the motorway and is an excellent load and/or passenger carrier when the situation demands it.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Is the MK3 better than MK2 revisited?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 05:52:05 PM »
My MK3 SE is my first Jazz, coming from decades of diesel cars, Mrs Deeps calls it "A gutless slug" but she is a low rev diesel trained driver. I don't have this problem as I use the full range of revs when required. Having driven the 1.5 with the torque converter fitted CVT the car is transformed, in my opinion Honda went too far for economy over drivability with the 1.3 Atkinson cycle engine. Is the MK3 any good? With the  1.5 engine yes, to the point I bought one, my 1.5 Sport CVT arrived at the dealer today and is handed over on Monday.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:40:00 PM by Deeps »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 08:24:49 PM »
Another intangible area is the outward appearance. I prefer the MK3 - it seems to have a bit more presence.

The engine is a difficult one in that performance is tied up with the change to a CVT but the new car is a much more composed motorway cruiser. At 70 you are doing less than 2,000 rpm on the motorway and that may well be the same in the manual with the sixth gear over the 5 speed box in the MK2.

Suspension seems a bit more able to handle bumps and our crappy potholed roads but I have gone down from 16 inch wheels to 15 inch wheels so higher profile tyres might be helping here.

I must admit to liking the MK2 look more than the MK3,  the MK2 looks smooth where the MK3 looks a bit boxy and similar to other cars, especially Korean ones.

The sixth gear would not help,  even on the Civic with the 6 speed box and 1.8 engine it is still pulling over 3000 revs at 70,  my first Civic was a 5 speed 1.5 and that pulled less than 2500 at 70 with less power than the Jazz - seems to be a modern Honda thing to be low geared.

My wifes MK2 has just had a set of 15" alloys and new Avon 175/65R15 ZT5 shoes fitted and it has improved the ride no end,  also much quieter than the 185/55R16 boots it had on before.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:10:54 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7642

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 10:56:29 AM »
I have no experience of owning a mk2 but I see plenty around and have been in a few.

The looks have made it more acceptable to a slightly younger demographic(!)  I probably would not have chosen a mk1 or mk2 based on looks.  This is obviously not an objectively good or bad thing but if it was Honda's intent then it has worked - at least in my case.

My wife wanted a smaller car that *had* to have 5 doors and seats and so we looked at: Micra, Juke, Polo, Ibiza, Corsa, Clio, Fabia, Yaris. We were really tempted by the Yaris as there were come excellent deals.  I suggested we should look at Honda and the Jazz mk3 clearly offers the best big car experience in a small car package.

I was concerned about the new 1.3 as it is NOT nippy - but could not really justify the 1.5 as we are hoping my eldest daughter will use this car as a learner (and perhaps a 1st car) - however you can make progress if you work then engine and gears.

I like the gear change action  (wife does not) though I find the lever and knob a bit cheap!

On the motorway with cruise control at 70 it feels far better than I expected.

It's not perfect but I am hoping it will be stress free for the next 10 yrs of ownership.

guest7675

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 05:56:23 PM »
Not being rude in saying is dogbiscuit a swindon worker as he seems to have a problem with the japanese built jazz and all i hear from people is how reliable the mk 3 is.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 06:07:22 PM »
Not being rude in saying is dogbiscuit a swindon worker as he seems to have a problem with the japanese built jazz and all i hear from people is how reliable the mk 3 is.

I have suffered UK built cars , never again.

guest7675

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 07:06:52 PM »
I remember deep in the 80s a nissan datsun dealer telling me since cars like the bluebird were made in uk the quality control including wiring was not up to standered of japanese cars he had stocking there were more issues with quality that they had to rectify and not long after that he went over top toyota but as we know they now make some models in uk.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 07:14:51 PM »

I have suffered with UK built cars as well,  but not with Japanese cars built in UK - I have spent most of my career involved in motor industry (building of cars and sub-suppliers) and know the difference between old UK quality control and systems and Japanese quality and systems.   My first Civic and Jazzes and Civics I have had since were all built in UK ad they have all been faultless.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 09:19:47 PM »

This would be the ones labouring under old British management and worst of all those operating as offshoots of the government. Japanese owned marques have generally been good quality. The Mk1 and Mk2 Jazz were both very reliable. In fact speaking personally I've had more issues with my Mk3 than with either of the earlier models both of which were manufactured in Swindon.

Neither my Mk1 or Mk2 ever needed anything other than servicing. But so far my Mk3 has had:

* An infotainment unit that kept crashing.
* An engine that struggles to start in the winter in the mornings (possibly humidity related).
* Wing mirrors that sometimes don't unfold until the button is pressed multiple times.
* Passenger door that needed adjusting to close properly.

But mainly the design just doesn't feel as integrated or as thoughtful as prior versions. I don't know how much input the guys and gals at Swindon had but I'm betting they had some influence and am prepared to credit them with making the Mk1 and Mk2 better suited to the UK market.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 09:24:14 PM by andruec »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 10:58:20 PM »
But so far my Mk3 has had:

* An infotainment unit that kept crashing.
* An engine that struggles to start in the winter in the mornings (possibly humidity related).
* Wing mirrors that sometimes don't unfold until the button is pressed multiple times.
* Passenger door that needed adjusting to close properly.
My experience was recorded here:
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9589.msg53214#msg53214
Not quite like andruec’s experience although the “transmission mount” - if that is really the cause of the transmission noise - is creaking again, so that’s going to need another dealer visit before the warranty expires. This car was supposed to be a keeper based on Honda’s reputation for reliability, but now I’m not so sure, it’s not proving any more  fault-free than any previous car I’ve owned.

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC SE MT
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »

No I don’t work for Honda I have just owned 4 different Honda Jazz models for the last 14 years. No real problems with two Japanese built MK1s. Owned UK built MK2 for over 7 years (110k miles) that let me down once with a failed battery. Japanese built MK4 delivered new in January 2018 with faulty parking sensors, cold starting issues plus some other electrical funnies regarding tyre pressure warnings and central locking issues. In my experience Japanese built Honda cars do not guarantee build quality.

nrgmilano

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: SE CVT Mk3
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 09:25:15 PM »
My car is a 220cdo Mercedes yet i love driving my wife's Mk3 CVT SE Jazz. Its much better than the Mk2 we had is our opinion although the Mk2 did us proud and still in use by our daughter also a cvt

Tags:

anything