Author Topic: Wheel / tyre size confusion  (Read 2072 times)

CATech

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 67 plate EX CVT
Wheel / tyre size confusion
« on: April 25, 2018, 09:53:36 AM »
Hi all
Just "upgraded" from a 16 plate SE to a 67 plate EX. I bought a space saver wheel/tyre for the 15" SE ( tyre Dunlop space miser Mk III  T135/80 D15).
Now have the 16" diamond cut alloys ( tyres Dunlop Sport 185/55R16 -  "do not mount on 16.5 inch rims" ). Thought I would have to sell the space saver and buy a bigger one for the EX.
BUT....holding the old wheel up to the EX, it appears to be the same overall diameter.

Question is....can Iuse the old space saver on the EX?  ( i.e. is it safe, legal, and will it get me home if I need to use it rather than fill a tyre with gunk? )

Thanks

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Wheel / tyre size confusion
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 10:00:09 AM »
is it safe, legal, and will it get me home if I need to use it
Provided you follow the space saver speed restrictions and change it out as soon as possible, I would say, yes.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 11:24:15 AM »
Certainly on the mk2 it was the same 15" space saver that was used for both 15" and 16" set-ups.  Caused a lot of confusion as they had different ordering codes and people would order the 16" and the 15" would turn up.  If I recall correctly the difference was the sticky label on the space-saver was different.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 11:32:09 AM »
The overall diameter has to be the same on all models, or all sorts of engineering problems would arise.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 12:34:58 PM »
I am keeping the spare wheel kit from my SE and am transferring it to my Sport. I have told the dealership this and they have not queried it. I am sure they would not miss an opportunity to try and sell me another spare wheel kit if there was a different size one. I believe that the same spare wheel kit is used for all Mk 3 Jazz versions.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 12:36:56 PM by Deeps »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 10:30:40 PM »
The EX has bigger wheels but lower profile tyres which give a very similar overall diameter. Here's a calculator https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php. The official space saver for my HR-V is about 5% different in diameter relative to the standard tyres.

You'll probably notice that the ride quality takes a step backwards in the EX as there's less flexible rubber between you and the road. Vehicle manufacturers' fascination with big wheels and low profile tyres at the expense of ride quality baffles me but maybe the people who decide these things haven't travelled on British roads.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: