Author Topic: Occasional thump from the boot area.  (Read 2077 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Occasional thump from the boot area.
« on: April 18, 2018, 07:07:21 AM »
I occasionally get a creak or a thump from the boot area, so decided to clean it out. After removing my snow shovel, two pair of dancing shoes, and assorted detritus, I checked everything was tight in the spare well. It was the first time I checked what was in the tool bag, and was surprised to find they had never been used. Neither has the spare wheel. I realise they may gave been replaced some time recently. The tyre certainly doesn't look 12 years old.
Whether I have cured my noise I will find out in due course. My MOT is due shortly, so that should show up anything mechanical.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
Re: Occasional thump from the boot area.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 09:38:25 AM »
You can check the date of your spare tyre. My Jazz is 10 years old and I don't think mine has ever been replaced.

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age

Mike.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 09:56:09 AM »
Thanks. I just checked it out and it is the original Bridgestone space saver tyre, supplied with the car back in 2006. It has never touched the road. It still has the little pips of rubber a new tyre has on the edges of the treads. I checked it thoroughly, and there are no cracks, splits of glazing anywhere to be seen. I was particularly vigilant between the treads, but it is for all the world like a brand new tyre - if it wasn't for the date stamp.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 10:03:44 AM »
Just off the top of my head, would there be a problem? You are supposed to stick to low speeds and, as long as it gets you home or to a tyre place, it will still do its job unless there is some law I don't know about.

guest4871

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 10:23:01 AM »
You can check the date of your spare tyre. My Jazz is 10 years old and I don't think mine has ever been replaced.

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age

Mike.

Notice also the treadwear number in the top left corner of the photo. This is useful when comparing value/ price of tyres. Cheaper tyres will  have a lower number and wear quicker.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 03:36:45 PM »
It was the first time I checked what was in the tool bag, and was surprised to find they had never been used. Neither has the spare wheel. I realise they may gave been replaced some time recently. The tyre certainly doesn't look 12 years old.

Probably hasn't, tyres barely deteriorate if they're kept out of sunlight.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 04:10:38 PM »
It was the first time I checked what was in the tool bag, and was surprised to find they had never been used. Neither has the spare wheel. I realise they may gave been replaced some time recently. The tyre certainly doesn't look 12 years old.

Probably hasn't, tyres barely deteriorate if they're kept out of sunlight.

Same applies to human skin,  but some people still lie out in the strongest sun they can find (eg Australia, Egypt )  :o
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 06:53:34 PM »
I contacted Bridgestone, direct, and this is the reply I received:

Thanks for your mail, which has been passed to me for reply.

For this space saver tyre, if the tyre has been stored in good condition and is displaying no signs of ageing then it should still be suitable for emergency use. However I would stress that space saver tyres are a temporary mobility solution and if used, should be changed for a full sized tyre as soon as possible, driving for a maximum of 50 miles at 50mph.

As with any natural product, rubber does age and will become more susceptible to cracking as it does. The rate of ageing depends on how the tyre is stored and what it is exposed to. We cannot offer an official cut-off point at which a tyre should not be put into service but based on my own knowledge I would recommend changing a tyre of this type once it is 10 years from date of manufacture.

I hope this helps, and if you need any more info, let me know.

Best regards
Pete

Peter Moulding
Lead Field Engineer
Bridgestone UK Ltd

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 11:51:34 AM »
Peter Moulding
Lead Field Engineer
Bridgestone UK Ltd

What a brilliant name for someone working for a tyre company.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 01:28:14 PM »
Exactly what I thought.

Tags: