Author Topic: My DIY tools for basic maintenances  (Read 5472 times)

JazzGD1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz GD1 2008
Re: My DIY tools for basic maintenances
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 11:01:44 AM »
Sorry JazzGD1 we do not know which country you live in,  can you put a flag below your Avatar ? - otherwise we assume you live in Britain (except for $ prices on the tools you bought).

I live in Singapore, where car is most expensive in the world. We have to bid among ourselves to get paper legal right ~ S$40,000 = $30,000 = 22,000 GBP to register, own and use a vehicle in Singapore for a period of 10 years. After 10 years, bid among ourselves again and pay another ~ S$40,000= $30,000 = 22,000 GBP for another 10 years paper. Poor us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_of_Entitlement

I bought 10 years old Jazz GD1 2008 on Feb 2018 for S$9,800 = $7,500 = 5,300 GBP. The car's paper right will expire on Jun 2018, I can only use this car for 4 months. Pay 5,300 GBP to use a car for only 4 months. Is it most expensive car in the world? On June 2018, I have to pay another 22,000 GBP for paper right to keep the car from Jun 2018 to Jun 2028. Poor me. I want to migrate to UK to own car freely.

The same 10 years old Jazz GD1 2008 car in UK will cost only 2,000 GBP and you can keep the car until you want to sell it.

The prices I quoted on my tools are US Dollar.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 11:31:14 AM »

I live in Singapore, where car is most expensive in the world. We have to bid among ourselves to get paper legal right ~ S$40,000 = $30,000 = 22,000 GBP to register, own and use a vehicle in Singapore for a period of 10 years. After 10 years, bid among ourselves again and pay another ~ S$40,000= $30,000 = 22,000 GBP for another 10 years paper. Poor us.

Wow, that's a pretty harsh system.

I think it would be public transport for me...

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2018, 11:40:28 AM »

Wow, that's a pretty harsh system.

I think it would be public transport for me...

That is really harsh, but I guess government want to push people towards public transport - in a lot of UK outside London and some other major cities public transport is almost non-existent.

Also read that people in Japanese urban areas need to prove they have a parking space before they can buy a vehicle, garage  in Tokyo probably costs more than a house in most of UK.

People in UK will moan a lot,  but we are luckier than we know on pretty much everything....
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:55:10 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JazzGD1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 01:07:27 PM »
People in US and UK are most luckiest car owners in the world.

1. Car prices, petrol prices and parking prices  are cheap.

2. No paper price to own car, just pay for car price and keep the car.

3. A lot of useful tools for DIY.

4. Amazon US and UK provided free shipping.

The prices I quoted on my tools are US dollars and didn't include shipping cost. I paid another $20 shipping cost for each tool to ship from US to Singapore.

I bought following tools from US because I couldn't find them in local stores.

Lisle Spill-free funnel
Rhino Ramps
Fumoto valves

Total shipping cost for 3 tools is $60.

Why Amazon does not open e-store in Asia?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 03:00:09 PM »
I guess car ownership is relatively cheap in the UK. On the other hand, public transport is expensive and pretty poor if you don't live in a town or city. The problem here is that the roads are getting choked at busy times.

I've shipped a few non-car related items to Singapore, I always found buyers from SE Asia countries to be some of the best buyers. However, it is very expensive to post anything from the UK to non-EU countries though, and I'm not sure if you face import duties, as we do.

You can buy some of these sorts of items direct from China and Hong Kong, eBay is a good source for tools, and even some non-critical car parts - my last pollen filter came direct from China at a fraction of the cost of a UK sourced item.

JazzGD1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 03:37:30 PM »

An impact wrench and a torque wrench are not really comparable, they are two different beasts.

The one culzean linked to at amazon is just a wheel brace, not a torque wrench. I have a couple of this type, one I've had for 25+ years - I would think that the broken one in the bad review was either defective or has been grossly abused. This type of extending brace works well because you shouldn't be able to over-tighten when closed, and it gives you the extra leverage to undo tight nuts when extended.

A torque wrench is not essential for wheel nuts, so long as you are sensible when tightening them up, but they are useful when doing other work on the car, especially around the suspension. For that, a cheap one will do, something like this type if you can get one locally

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633567-Torque-Wrench-28-210/dp/B000LFTSG6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1522402731&sr=8-3&keywords=torque+wrench

I use a nice torque wrench I've had for many years, but I have used these cheap ones before and they are fine - certainly better than nothing. You can find them here for less than 20GBP. Look after it, and they don't go out of calibration for years.

I could not find cheap torque wrench (< 20GBP) locally.

I google "torque wrench singapore" and found this Stanley torque wrench S$160 = $122 = 87GBP in Singapore.

Here are product description:

ISO 6789, ASME B107.14
Accuracy: +/- 4%
Visual and audible indication
Dual Way direction(C.W./C.C.W.) Click Type
Dual scales (N.m & IN.LB.)
Quick release button
Adjusting ring locking system
Aluminum Alloy handle with anodic treatment
Si‐Cr‐Mo spring
Cr-Mo pawl
Cr-Mo square driver

Here are product specification:
Product code    Drive    Range (Nm)
STMT73587    1/4"    5-25
STMT73588    3/8"    10-50
STMT73589    1/2"    20-100
STMT73590    1/2"    40-200
STMT73591    1/2"    60-340
STMT73592    3/4"    150-750

I will buy this torque wrench for doing other work on the car to follow service manual's tightening torque. Thank for your suggestion, I will take good care of this expensive torque wrench, hope it will not go out of calibration for years.

Which drive and range should I buy? Drive 3/8" has range too small.

JazzGD1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 04:24:30 PM »
I guess car ownership is relatively cheap in the UK. On the other hand, public transport is expensive and pretty poor if you don't live in a town or city. The problem here is that the roads are getting choked at busy times.

It is government job to fix the roads are getting choked at busy times. Build more roads above and dig more roads underground will fix the issue. If government can not fix it, government has to resign or pay paper right (for apologize not doing government job) to citizen instead of forcing citizen bid among themselves to pay paper right to government.

I've shipped a few non-car related items to Singapore, I always found buyers from SE Asia countries to be some of the best buyers. However, it is very expensive to post anything from the UK to non-EU countries though, and I'm not sure if you face import duties, as we do.
Buyers from SE Asia countries tent to be some of the best buyers because we could not find the products that we need locally. Die die must buy from US and UK and bear high shipping cost. We are not rich customers, we are poor customers. I will face import duties if product values > S$400.

You can buy some of these sorts of items direct from China and Hong Kong, eBay is a good source for tools, and even some non-critical car parts - my last pollen filter came direct from China at a fraction of the cost of a UK sourced item.

Yes, before buying any product, I will do my homework to compare product price + shipping cost from amazon, ebay and aliexpress. I also need to do homework to compare forwarding services. i.e ship product to virtual address in US, then ship from that virtual address to Singapore.

I bought 3 following products from China. Prices quote are US Dollars and include shipping.

1. Portable Car Impact Wrench 12V 380N.m ($55)

2. Portable Air Compressor Heavy Duty 12V 150 PSI Pump ($34)

3. Tire puncture repair tool kit ($5)

For non-critical products, I will buy from China. However, for critical/safety products such as Rhino Ramps and Fumoto valves, I will buy from US even though China may have similar but cheaper products.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 07:06:02 PM »
In my opinion, the 1/2" 40-200Nm the best range to start with for car repairs, if you are going to have one.

I will face import duties if product values > S$400.

That's not too bad, here in the UK we pay taxes and duty on goods >15GBP, unless it comes from within the European Union - in which case there are currently no duties to pay. This, of course, is likely to change when we leave the EU.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 09:42:06 PM by sparky Paul »

JazzGD1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 10:07:48 AM »
I bought this TEKTON 24335 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (10-150 ft.-lb./13.6-203.5 Nm)  ($35)

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24335-2-Inch-ft-lb-13-6-203-5/dp/B00C5ZL0RU/

Service manual:

1. Spark plugs
Apply a small quantity of anti-seize compound to the plug threads, and screw the plugs into the cylinder head finger-tight. Then torque them to 18 N·m (1.8 kgf·m, 13 lbf·ft).

2. Wheel nuts
Torque them to 108 N·m (11.0 kgf·m, 80 lbf·ft)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 10:27:11 AM »
I bought this TEKTON 24335 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (10-150 ft.-lb./13.6-203.5 Nm)  ($35)

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24335-2-Inch-ft-lb-13-6-203-5/dp/B00C5ZL0RU/

That's the sort of cheap one I was talking about - I've got a spare one exactly the same as that. They work absolutely fine, and for the price, you can't go wrong.

guest5079

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 10:42:38 AM »
Person opposite hasn't taxed his van for a year. Perhaps I should copy the info re Singapore and wake him up. Mind you I don't think even a bomb would. What is worrying is he is an electrician. Won't be coming near my electrics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I suspect the system in Singapore is to try and control their pollution problems. I understand Singapore has VERY strict laws on litter etc. We in Britain could certainly learn from their example.
As to Japan, Captain Slow of Top Gear Mk1 did an item on Tokyo and the cars produced in Japan to cope with the narrow streets and parking. Unfortunately the brain can't remember what the cars were called. Of course that is how Mr Honda managed to sell many many million Honda mopeds throughout the world because he saw a niche market

JazzGD1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 01:28:45 PM »
3. I also want to learn DIY change brake fluid maintenance. However, change brake fluid maintenance is too advance maintenance for me. I am afraid that I don't know how to test and deal with brake fluid low pressure and trapped air pockets in brake system.

You can't use the vacuum oil extractor for brakes.

Changing brake fluid is not difficult, and you will find the various techniques described online and in service manuals. If you can get hold of one where you are, the Haynes manuals are good for a beginner.

If you have the use of an assistant, a set of brake spanners, a bottle and a piece of clear pipe is all you need to change the fluid. To do the job without an assistant, a vacuum brake bleeding kit is the best  thing to use. You can find perfectly usable cheap ones over here for around 20GBP or less.

After search google/youtube, I found two techniques to change brake fluid:

1. use vacuum pump to suck the brake fluid out.

2. use brake pedal to push the brake fluid out.

I was about to buy Silverline 919236 4-Liter Oil and Fluid Extraction Pump ($38) to suck the brake fluid out.

https://www.amazon.com/Silverline-919236-4-Liter-Fluid-Extraction/dp/B00PQ8E4VM/

However, after watching EricTheCarGuy's  "How To Replace Brake Fluid by Yourself", I decided not to buy any vacuum brake bleeding kit. Eric did not use any Oil Extraction Pump, he used brake pedal to push the brake fluid out.

You are right. Changing brake fluid is not difficult. I think I can do it follow second technique "use brake pedal to push the brake fluid out". A set of brake spanners, a bottle and a piece of clear pipe is all I need to change the fluid.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:30:55 PM by JazzGD1 »

Tags:

anything