Author Topic: Brake pad wear  (Read 2196 times)

David_B

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1st Gen
Brake pad wear
« on: May 24, 2019, 11:03:54 PM »
My car suddenly started making a Thunder and lightning sound when I was driving.

I was terrified. But apparently it's just brake pads wear out and metal rubbing against other metal.

I don't know anything about brakes at the moment so please run me through it from the beginning.

Where are the brake pads located and how do i inspect them to see how much is left? Can anyone provide photos?

Are there early warning signs of brake pad wear? Like a noise? Can anyone link to a video or sound recording?

How much does it cost to replace? Pads, disc, callipers etc?

What are the different stages of wear? If I hear the thunder and lightning sound have I likely damaged the disc and callipers too? I drove like it for half an hour.

Has anyone else experienced this noise?

Anyone have any good diagrams to illustrate how the brake system works so I can understand the different parts etc?

Any other useful info for a beginner?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Brake pad wear
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 09:17:05 AM »
My car suddenly started making a Thunder and lightning sound when I was driving.

I was terrified. But apparently it's just brake pads wear out and metal rubbing against other metal.

I don't know anything about brakes at the moment so please run me through it from the beginning.

Where are the brake pads located and how do i inspect them to see how much is left? Can anyone provide photos?

Are there early warning signs of brake pad wear? Like a noise? Can anyone link to a video or sound recording?

How much does it cost to replace? Pads, disc, callipers etc?

What are the different stages of wear? If I hear the thunder and lightning sound have I likely damaged the disc and callipers too? I drove like it for half an hour.

Has anyone else experienced this noise?

Anyone have any good diagrams to illustrate how the brake system works so I can understand the different parts etc?

Any other useful info for a beginner?

My advice is that if you don't even know where the brake pads are you need to get a garage to fix them for you, brakes are the most important part of the car and not to be messed with if you don't have basic skills.

If you heard a 'ringing, shrieking sound' that is just the wear indicator and it wont damage the discs,  if you heard a lower pitched heavy rubbing / grating sound that means that there is no pad material left and the steel pad backing plate is rubbing on the steel disc, and that will damage the discs.

The other option is that sometimes a piece of the grit off road surface can get stuck between pad and disc and can really make an awful lot of noise, sometimes reversing and putting the brakes on can dislodge it, but if not you will need to get  someone to look at the brakes.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 01:35:12 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

David_B

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1st Gen
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 07:48:19 AM »
Turned out the caliper had seized up from rust and cause the brake pad to press against the disk. It wore away until metal was running Against metal.

Has to get a calliper changed, two brake disks and two brake pads.

Cost me £240.

I learned something from it though.

I never heard any noise to warn me the brake pads were wearing out though.

Can the brake pads be seen from the outside to determine if they’re worn out in future?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 08:20:39 AM »
I certainly cannot see the pads on my 2006 Jazz. You would have to remove the wheels to check for wear. I don't bother, other than at the annual service. However, the first sign of problems (noise or brake issues), I will not hesitate to get them checked out.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 08:35:18 AM »
I can just about see the pads through the alloys on my 2008 Sport, but it's not much use. They have a warning system where you get a high pitched squeal at low speed when the brakes are getting worn. I got that, had a look through the wheels and decided it was the rears. Bunged it in the garage and it was the fronts!
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 09:52:35 AM »

Has to get a calliper changed, two brake disks and two brake pads.

Cost me £240.

Can the brake pads be seen from the outside to determine if they’re worn out in future?

Good price - was £300 at a Honda dealer just for rear pads and discs on our 2014 car.  I did check another garage but they were suggesting around £200.  I had hoped Honda woud cover or at least contribute to the cost - got a free MOT, but that was it.

As for checking them, you can see the outside pad but the issue on ours was an inside pad had worn.  As it hapenened, it was one with acoustic wear indicator so the noise was apparent.  Otherwise, whoever services your car should advise on how worn the pads are.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 10:09:39 AM »
I have the steel wheels and you can see butter all through them. Alloys give a much better view. Unless you have a sticking caliper, or badly scored disc, both pads should wear at more or less the same rate. If the front one still has plenty meat on it the chances are the back one is the same.

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 12:05:51 PM »
Adding this to an old article about brake pad wear indicator.

Had annoying squeaky noise coming from back right wheel area.

Turned out to be wear indicator rubbing on disc. Great to resolve the solution. See pics of old pad. Weird it wore out unevenly. See attached photos
Saw a small amount of the metal wear indicator was shiny where it was rubbing on disc.

Great to notice a noise and able to resolve it.
  :)

Tags: