Author Topic: Optimal gear changing, acceleration, revs, braking and other driving behaviors  (Read 4318 times)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
I stand corrected.
Have to check mine more closely. Of course it's the bigger engine. Would they give the smaller engine higher gears?!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 09:41:50 AM by springswood »
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

culzean

• Approved Member
I am confused by this Honda thing, the Civic with its 1.8 140 bhp engine and 6 gears does pretty much the same revs at 70mph in 6th as my wifes mk2 1.4 with 100bhp in 5th.  My first Civic 1.5 had 90 bhp and 5 gears and  tootled along quite happily at 70mph at 2500rpm.  I would expect top gear to be like an overdrive, but the Civic will go up quite steep hills in 6th and I rarely use 5th - quite honestly I think Honda messed up on gearing.

The green ' change up '  light on manual gearboxes comes on when you hit 2000 revs so I would imagine that is the right time to shift the cogs for best economy..... bit of a minefield.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 09:50:25 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
I agree culzean. I think it's what they call a black art - so many variables there is no one correct solution.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
According to the Haynes manual, the manual transmission for the Mk 1 is the same, with the same ratios, irrespective of the engine size. Mine does have the steel wheels with 175/65 14 tyres.
Both 4th and 5th gear are technically "overdrive" gears (ratio less than 1), but I find the car very low geared. I am constantly looking for a higher gear when in fact I am in 5th (Top), and have even slipped out of 5th, thinking I was in 3rd, only to have to slip it back in again. I find 1st extremely low (being almost as low as reverse), with a jump to 2nd. I invariably block change past 4th, both changing up as well as down.

Tags: