Author Topic: too much road noise  (Read 12520 times)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Re: too much road noise
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2019, 08:55:37 AM »
How can you tell if a rear bearing is noisy then? With my duff hearing I often can't tell where a noise is coming from.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2019, 09:25:31 AM »
I am pretty certain mine are noisier than they need be, but it has passed at least 3 MOTs like that so maybe I am mistaken.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2019, 10:45:57 AM »
How can you tell if a rear bearing is noisy then? With my duff hearing I often can't tell where a noise is coming from.

Not easy, the noise sort of comes vaguely from the back seat & boot area when it's getting bad, the problem is that it transmits around the whole of the tub. It's not even easy to decide which side it is sometimes.

If I suspect a rear bearing, quickest way I have found to diagnose is as follows. Chock front wheels, release handbrake, jack the back end up and remove the wheels. Pop the bearing caps and wheel centres, replace the wheels and spin each by hand in turn, listening with a long screwdriver or bearing stethoscope (they are only a few quid for a cheap one) on the end of the stub axle shaft. You should hear a clear difference if you have one bad bearing, but you might find both have some noise on the Jazz, if they haven't been done.

I guess if your hearing is not 100%, you may need an assistant for this.

Worked for me, I replaced the noisiest sounding one on the nearside, and all was quiet again. I expect the offside one will be the next...

I am pretty certain mine are noisier than they need be, but it has passed at least 3 MOTs like that so maybe I am mistaken.

Ours sounded horrible, but didn't get a mention on the MOT, so it is possible. When the weight is off them, they feel okay.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:52:15 AM by sparky Paul »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2019, 10:58:54 AM »
I had local Honda dealer MOT bloke fail a rear bearing on my wifes GD that was barely audible even with screwdriver on axle - my mechanic mate was shocked that it failed, and there was no noise when driving.  I did the bearing myself.  I don't use any MOT place that does repairs as well as they have a vested interest in failing the car to get the work, but have yet to convince my wife, maybe this is the year I can change her mind LOL.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2019, 11:53:34 AM »
I had local Honda dealer MOT bloke fail a rear bearing on my wifes GD that was barely audible even with screwdriver on axle - my mechanic mate was shocked that it failed, and there was no noise when driving.  I did the bearing myself.  I don't use any MOT place that does repairs as well as they have a vested interest in failing the car to get the work, but have yet to convince my wife, maybe this is the year I can change her mind LOL.

Yes, there are some cheeky buggers, even a new bearing is audible with the screwdriver.

Best advice I can give is to find a decent independent that knows you do the repairs yourself, and stick with them. After moving here, I was recommended a local family run garage by a friend in the trade, and I've used them now for 20 years, previously dealing with the father, now the son who is about my age. All the cars plus my dad's go there for MOT, I have always done the jobs that they recommend doing and occasionally give him stuff to do if I'm too busy, and after a few years you build up a bit of trust. He can be very helpful, and I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Some council depots do MOTs for the public too, but no repairs, and they usually have a good reputation.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2019, 12:03:35 PM »
My son-in-law takes my car to the MOT station that checks the HGVs for the fleet he maintains. They do do heavy vehicle repairs, but not private cars. If anything needs done, they just tell John and he does it.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2019, 12:17:25 PM »
My son-in-law takes my car to the MOT station that checks the HGVs for the fleet he maintains. They do do heavy vehicle repairs, but not private cars. If anything needs done, they just tell John and he does it.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

I know people who take their cars somewhere different every year, whoever they can find charging £25 or £30, but it's a false economy in the end. I pay for an hour's labour at £35 trade rate for an MOT, but even the £40 he normally charges is worth it for a honest test.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2019, 10:07:51 PM »
I have seen many car reviews in magazines refer to lots of road noise and this is bound to put potential car buyers off -why any car maker would fit noisy tyres as original equipment is beyond me.
I suspect that manufacturers prefer tyres which give the best mpg during testing.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2019, 09:10:50 AM »
I have seen many car reviews in magazines refer to lots of road noise and this is bound to put potential car buyers off -why any car maker would fit noisy tyres as original equipment is beyond me.
I suspect that manufacturers prefer tyres which give the best mpg during testing.

I would think that quieter tyres also give best mpg, it takes energy to produce noise.... they may be more interested in the cheapest price from supplier, a case of saving pennies and losing customers.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2019, 10:06:49 AM »

On the subject of MOT's, I have had a couple of advisories but I am struggling to remember the last time I actually had a fail. It was certainly a long time ago and I certainly don't replace a car every 4-5 years. If I do, I would aim for a careful owner with typical or higher mileage which is only just run in. When you consider the test is designed to check road worthiness and seems to be more extensive each year, it must logically reflect on the overall quality of modern cars. Wear and tear aside, it seems to me the main headache these days is electrics which has limited real relevance to the test, well at least in my experience.

Tags:

anything