Author Topic: GD 1.4 Not Holding Revs on Gear Changes etc  (Read 4955 times)

JackH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GD 1.4 Sport
GD 1.4 Not Holding Revs on Gear Changes etc
« on: May 15, 2018, 10:04:20 PM »
I’ve just bought a manual GD off my dad. High miles but drives well overall.

The last manual GD we had seemed to hold the revs between gear changes etc - when you lift off the throttle in this one, the revs drop immediately to idle and it can lead to gear changes / pull away sometimes being a bit jerky.

Is there anything known for causing this?

Starts and idles fine. Appears to have a drive by wire throttle rather than cable.

TIA

(Comversely, the GE that my dad now has seems to hold the revs for longer than needed.)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: GD 1.4 Not Holding Revs on Gear Changes etc
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 06:10:37 AM »
My GD5 immediately drops the revs between changes. That is the way every manual car I have ever had behaved. Doesn't seem to be a problem to me.

JackH

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 07:43:14 AM »
Well I’m sure the other one we had did it. I’ve driven other modern stuff that does it too - it’s to help smooth gear changes more than they’d otherwise be.

It’s even more pronounced on the GE that my dad has to the point you have to be a bit more measured on the throttle and clutch when changing up than you might usually be.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:51:58 AM by JackH »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 09:42:37 AM »
Well I’m sure the other one we had did it. I’ve driven other modern stuff that does it too - it’s to help smooth gear changes more than they’d otherwise be.

It’s even more pronounced on the GE that my dad has to the point you have to be a bit more measured on the throttle and clutch when changing up than you might usually be.

GD has a cable throttle (physical mechanical cable connection between throttle pedal and throttle body) GE went to drive by wire (variable resistors on the throttle pedal connected to throttle body via the ECU). This means on GE throttle input can be tweaked between loud pedal and throttle body and has a more 'disconnected' feel.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JackH

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 10:13:51 AM »
I’ve seen at least one person on here mentioned on here that some GD models have a throttle cable and others have a fly by wire throttle. They went as far to mention the difference in MPG between the two.

I recently sold a GD CVT-7 and that had a throttle cable. We looked under the bonnet of this one too and no cable.

Will check again later(!)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 10:31:15 AM »
My 2006 GD5 is fly by wire. There is a short length of cable from the pedal itself to the potentiometer, but the throttle body is controlled electrically.

guest5079

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 10:50:47 AM »
Whilst a while back, we were taught if you wanted to get a smooth gear change you had to do what was called a sustained rev gear change because when one took one size ten off the throttle the revs dropped. On our EX Ishift as far as I can remember the revs drop when foot removed from throttle. The car definitely has a fly by wire throttle

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 10:57:00 AM »
The revs do drop, but it can be disconcerting that they seem to drop slower on later models, there seems to be a delay somewhere. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 11:04:09 AM »
Two points I missed blame it on age: If the revs did not drop on release of the throttle it would be dangerous and of course a sustained rev gear change was for DOWN shifting.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 01:33:12 PM »
Some Jazz models have a damper on the clutch. Don't know if that could have an effect.
I was taught to drive when synchromesh was a luxury. I was taught to time my changes and to double-declutch on down shifts (and on some vehicles going up as well). I even had to prove I could double-declutch on my driving test (as I had a three gear car with no synchomesh on first). Like the Driver Assists we have discussed elsewhere, manufacturers are always introducing something to help (and deskill) driving.

JackH

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 09:52:32 PM »
Whilst a while back, we were taught if you wanted to get a smooth gear change you had to do what was called a sustained rev gear change because when one took one size ten off the throttle the revs dropped. On our EX Ishift as far as I can remember the revs drop when foot removed from throttle. The car definitely has a fly by wire throttle

The gear change is fine overall. It’s first to second and pulling away that seems to be more the issue - difficult to do it smoothly. That and I noticed today that the engine can jerk a little if you lift off and on the throttle when at low revs in traffic (checked engine mounts and they look fine).

I never experienced any of this in our last manual Jazz (and nigh on everything else I drive and have driven over the last 28 years), so it does suggest maybe there’s a reason why this car isn’t as smooth.

Idles fine but I do wonder if it’s a little low as it looks like around 700rpm on the Rev counter once warmed up. Thinking about it, it pulls away etc fine when the engine is cold as the car is idling that bit higher.

Have read that maybe there’s a throttle reset procedure involving disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it, starting the car and then let it idle until the fan kicks in on these so maybe it needs that?

Got 56mpg on a long 70ish run yesterday so there can’t be that much wrong with it but I am finding the love isn’t flowing for it like the last one as of yet due this issue making it unpleasant to drive round town and especially so in heavy stop start traffic.

As for the GE... quite disconcerting how long this effectively delays the dropping of the revs but it’s obviousky a trait of these (the manual, at least).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:54:27 PM by JackH »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 07:00:55 AM »
Sounds exactly the same as mine. As I have never had a Jazz, and came to the manual after 25 years with automatics, I figured it was just me and changed my driving to suit. If you find an answer, be sure to post it so I can do the same.
Regarding a reset procedure. Nothing in the Haynes manual about it.

JackH

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 09:07:30 AM »
Had we not owned one previously, I might have just assumed this is the way they are and would likely be looking to get rid of it as we speak as it really is that unpleasant in heavy traffic.

However we did, it isn’t and I’ll persevere with it for the time being whilst we try to find a solution. 👍

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 02:35:08 PM »
What sort of revs do you pull in 1st before changing into second?

Jeffyjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz se sport
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 02:41:01 PM »
change gear quicker ;D

im not sure if the EGR valve issue that some people seam to have would contribute to the revs falling quickly. ive been driving mine for 8 years i couldnt even tell you if the revs drop or not but i cant imagine they have enough time to fall that much in mine

Tags: