Author Topic: Spare Tyre Stories  (Read 33111 times)

Hebden

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ SE CVT NAVI (mark III)
Spare Tyre Stories
« on: October 28, 2015, 06:49:04 PM »
It seems Honda will only supply a Space Saver and these are on back order. My nearest dealer's parts person was perplexed about when these would arrive - he suggested December and then back-tracked to late January. Said there was a long order list. 

However, A bit northerly a Honda dealer with a discount parts website is selling a full size alloy wheel with Bridgestone tyre and fixings for £189 - free next day delivery. Talking to them today they have put this together themselves from Honda components and are sending them all over the world. Lots in stock. Sounds like a winner to me if you don't want a spacesaver.

If all goes to plan tomorrow with car change I shall be ordering one!

Geoffers

• Approved Member
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes!
  • My Honda: 2016 HR-V SE-Navi Diesel
Re: Spare Tyre Stories
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
Could you post the web address so others can have a look?  ;)
Geoff, York, UK.             Now driving an HR-V after 4 Jazzes!

guest5589

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 09:03:31 PM »
£189 with alloy??? not too bad actually

if you are after non-alloy why not look on eBay and buy a space saver wheel or if you want full size even then it wouldn't be more than £69.

space saver for 2008-15 with Jack and Wheel wrench thing
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPACE-SAVER-SPARE-WHEEL-HONDA-JAZZ-2006-2015-AND-JACK-KIT-/231733675546?hash=item35f467461a:g:T~oAAOSwwbdWJ9lY

full size 15inch spare wheel
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPARE-WHEEL-TO-FIT-HONDA-JAZZ-15-195-60-R15-4-STUD-UN-USED-DUNLOP-TYRE-/191718110294?fits=Car+Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3AJazz&hash=item2ca34a3456:g:D7UAAOSwYHxWInU8

which you can pair with the genuine Jack if you want for £30
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-FRV-2004-2009-TOOL-KIT-JACK-SET-WHEEL-BRACE-JACK-GENUINE-/281837454229?hash=item419ed24395:g:dxkAAOSwl9BWKz8n

If you tell me the size / model of your car I can find your specific size.. the top links are just examples

Hebden

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 12:14:38 AM »
Wasn't sure it was permitted to post links - could be thought of  as advertising...

http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/2016-jazz-spare-wheel-options-c-24_1044_1048.html

We have a  16" spacesaver with the EX which will be going to the dealer as trade in tomorrow. Wrong size though as the SE is 15".

Of course should have taken it out and sold it on ebay. But sometimes the trauma of deciding about changing a car, should it be an old model pre-reg EX or the new model SE wipes all common sense away.  If all proceeds as expected tomorrow will order the spare tyre from Cox. We've bought replacement Honda mats from them before next day free delivery.

Seems like its a mixed bag from all the comments and reviews. Hope there's enough to love.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 08:10:41 AM »
Wasn't sure it was permitted to post links - could be thought of  as advertising...

http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/2016-jazz-spare-wheel-options-c-24_1044_1048.html

I would note that while this is an alloy wheel it isn't the same style as the alloy wheels on the car. Nonetheless, it will look a lot better on the car than a space saver.

My dealer has Honda's space saver on order for me but I'm tempted to send him this link.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 08:13:25 AM »
Avoid the dealer prices first ask fro abetter deal then check new steel wheel + new tyre from mytyres.co.uk scroll for new wheel/tyre combination. I've used them for many years, you maybe able to get cash back via quidco.com

Hebden

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 02:33:57 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Not my local dealer though so would be buying from the spares department either over the internet or telephone.

I've had a look at mytyres they don't appear to be listing tyres and wheels for the 2015 'new' jazz.

guest4871

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 07:37:48 PM »
I'm not expert but I would not be surprised if the spec for a Mk3 steel rim is the same as for a Mk 2. Perhaps someone else may be able to confirm?

However, if the alloy rim style in the link matches the exact style of those on your car, spoil yourself and buy one (I would).

Hebden

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 12:10:43 AM »
Decided to get one. Due to be delivered Monday.

Hebden

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 01:31:57 PM »
Spare tyre fitted into the well perfectly. Able to get jack and other bits around it. However as others have noted the floor of the boot now needs support with the removal of the black polystyrene tool box etc. I imagine it you get the space saver kit you get a tray to go above the tyre which provides this. Hmm. I've seen some people are using plywood - any other good solutions?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 03:13:35 PM »
Since my dealer couldn't forecast when the official space saver I ordered with the car would show up he gave me a refund and I bought the Cox Motor Parts alloy wheel mentioned above. Fitting the wheel in the hole was straightforward (the fixing bolt was included with the wheel).

Supporting the boot floor was somewhat more challenging and made more interesting because the wheel does not sit horizontally but is tilted towards the front of the car. It's easy to use suitably sized bits of scrap wood to support the floor over the wheel (make sure that one of the bits of wood is under the joint in the middle of the floor). but this leaves the font section of boot floor unsupported so I had to fit a piece of wood under this area and provide a leg to support it from the bottom of the spare wheel cavity. I hope the photos will explain what I did - it looks fine once the boot floor is down.

Perhaps the reason for the delay in the arrival of the offical part is that Honda are still trying to design a more elegant solution.

[attachment deleted by admin]
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest907

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 12:59:44 AM »
Another reason not to bother with the Mk3 for a couple of years till they sort all this out. My wife's new i10 they've gone back to space savers from inflation kits!

guest3342

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 01:56:14 AM »
Recently had a call from the dealer letting me know the spare wheel kit has arrived.
My question is will the 15" spacesaver from my MK2 fit my MK3 so that I just have to buy the foam topper.
Or do they just sell them together so it will mean me maybe having two wheels the same size? The dealer intimated that it all came together & could not be split. Are they upselling or is that the case?

guest5643

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 05:46:49 PM »
Your Mk 2 wheel may fit the Mk 3,the Honda spacesaver come as a complete kit,jack and wheelbrace, the wheel is secured to the boot floor and a foam insert, similar to the one supplied with the inflation repair kit,fits over the wheel to support the boot floor.My dealer told me the reason for the delay was Honda had some issues (faulty?) with one of the components in the kit.

guest3342

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 07:13:55 AM »
Cheers, looks like I will just have to buy the whole kit then & ebay the other wheel.

Tags: