Author Topic: Questions about turning the display on and off.  (Read 3708 times)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Questions about turning the display on and off.
« on: June 11, 2016, 12:07:23 PM »
I have only had my Mk3 SE a few days, and can't so far find the answers by experimenting or in the manual.

When I start the car I get the start up message on the display. If I ignore it the display shuts off after a few seconds. If I click OK the display starts up.

Question 1: If after a while I want to turn the display completely off, how do I do it?

Question 2: If the display is off (because I did not click OK at startup), how do I turn on the display?

Question 3: Is there a way of making the default so that the display always comes on, without having to click OK each start?

Sorry if these are RTFM questions!

Thanks

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Questions about turning the display on and off.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 04:41:40 PM »
Touching the screen somewhere near the top right corner will turn it off or on.

There is no way that I know of to stop that annoying message and OK button. IMO it's a safety hazard as it is a distraction. Pressing the OK before starting the engine doesn't get round the problem as the system restarts and there is then a significant delay before the OK button appears again, by which time I'm driving.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 07:27:34 PM »

Thanks John, your answer got me on the right track. Actually its the physical brightness button (sun and moon symbol) at top left (on right hand drive cars), which toggles the screen brightness between daytime mode->nighttime mode->off->on. Page 251 in the manual.

A lot of the illustrations in my manual seem to be for LHD cars, including the one on p251 which shows the brightness button on the RH side.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 07:29:19 PM by mikebore »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 09:13:45 AM »
Q1
This doesn't work on mine. This may be one of those things that only works if you start from the right place, ie you need a particular screen showing first, and it might also be dependent on whether you have (or have not) enabled the alternative skin. That's worth doing, BTW, it not only changes the look it also gives you some subtly different functionality like the ability to display a big analogue clock.

This topic was previously explored in this thread ...
http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7958.0
... which also concluded that the brightness button was the thing to use, plus you also have to turn the volume down (or power-off the audio) if you want quiet.

Q2
You might have found this by now, but if you touch the top menu icon (which is top-right of the screen), you get the nag screen back so you can then OK it and it'll display something that may or may not be what was on it when you last turned it off.

Q3
I completely agree with John Ratsey's comment.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 09:39:50 AM »
Thanks Colin, that older thread completely solves the problem....wish I had seen it before. The brightness button does it for SE and EX.

Q2 In case of doubt, the brightness button will also turn on the display if it is off.

Still leaves the problem of not being able to have the screen start by default without the OK. I am guessing this is a legal requirement.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 10:16:37 AM by mikebore »

Tags:

anything