Author Topic: Snow test  (Read 4224 times)

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
Snow test
« on: December 12, 2017, 11:59:54 PM »
This arctic weather has given me the chance to try out the Jazz in the snow and ice. It struggles a bit. Tyre treads are OK. I found it had a mind of its own on occasions especially in the slush. Main problem is lack of weight. Whereas heavier cars just plough through, the Jazz tends to get a bit sidetracked. Fair enough for a light hatchback but the throttle link and clutch action are not great and certainly makes life interesting in challenging conditions. At least I know the ABS system works, well, on the driver's side at least. However, it could of course just be the wrong kind of snow.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 12:02:36 AM by MartinJG »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Snow test
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 09:07:57 AM »
Winter tyres make all the difference. When I had my MkII I put four on and nothing stopped me.

Don't use the MkI much so not bothered with that one yet.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 03:56:56 PM »
I found GD Jazz pretty good on snow with 175/65R14 summer tyres,  Wifes GE with 185/55R16 wheels was not nearly as good,  about the same as my Civic with 205/55R17 summer tyres (more power in Civic was also problem, although easier to pull away in second gear).

Wifes GE and my Civic with Nokian WR-D3 winters are absolutely great,  used pretty much every day we had recent snow in Shropshire (and we had a boatload) - on one run over Shropshire hills only other vehicles I saw were Landrovers Defenders and tractors,  I could re-start on snow covered hills no problem - I went up roads I would never have attempted  with summer tyres (in fact I would probably have stayed at home).    Saw a few 4x4 obviously over confident on their summer tyres with wheels spinning but going nowhere,  and laughed at some BMW's LOL........

Been an eye opener for me about difference between summer and winter tyres.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 06:38:09 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 10:16:55 PM »
In the Netherlands we also had winter weather with more than enough snow to make nice xmas photos.
And when the neighbour was still trying to get his bmw from the driveway, our Jazz was already long gone. While finally on the road he needed both sides.  He - big alloys with summer low-profile tires for the looks, we - 15" steel wheels with Michelin Alpin tires. I really don't understand those people, he was a danger on the road!

guest5079

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 09:37:28 AM »
I have had no opportunity to drive our Jazz in the snow. My experience with both front wheel and rear wheel drive cars is that the front wheel drive scores over the rear wheel drive. Both the Metros I was issued with did well in snow when the rear wheel drive cars had problems. It seems most motorists have no concept of what to do and the most important thing is to keep the drive wheels turning, once they spin, the snow is polished and you have the 'ice rink surface'. Keep revving is totally counterproductive  unless enough heat is produced and you melt all of the snow 'neath your wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!! High a gear as possible and light as you can be on the throttle. If the wheels start to spin just roll back a bit and try again.  I fear the I shift might be a problem as there is no control over the clutch, just hope the higher gear in manual does the trick. Hills of course are a totally different ball game. ( police Land Rover in 4 wheel drive hand brake on just slid down a hill of sheet ice it was parked on, idiot driver didn't think to turn the front wheels to the kerb. Fantastic sledge).  Not my wisdom but good old Roadcraft as taught by plod driving schools.
Incidentally Audi are pushing their SNOW mode. Our 2003  Rover 45 with V6 engine and Jatco auto transmission had a snow mode. When I had cause to use same it worked. I know it merely locks the transmission into a higher gear and presumably allows the torque converter to perhaps slip a little more giving flexibility when pulling away. Never the less it worked well. I hope I do not have to 'test' the Jazz in snow.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 09:50:45 AM »
I found GD Jazz pretty good on snow with 175/65R14 summer tyres,  Wifes GE with 185/55R16 wheels was not nearly as good,  about the same as my Civic with 205/55R17 summer tyres (more power in Civic was also problem, although easier to pull away in second gear).

Wifes GE and my Civic with Nokian WR-D3 winters are absolutely great,  used pretty much every day we had recent snow in Shropshire (and we had a boatload) - on one run over Shropshire hills only other vehicles I saw were Landrovers Defenders and tractors,  I could re-start on snow covered hills no problem - I went up roads I would never have attempted  with summer tyres (in fact I would probably have stayed at home).    Saw a few 4x4 obviously over confident on their summer tyres with wheels spinning but going nowhere,  and laughed at some BMW's LOL........

Been an eye opener for me about difference between summer and winter tyres.

Exactly my experience too. Living up a steep hill, before having the Winter tyres I would have stayed at home. With them, nothing phased me.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 10:01:25 AM »
Up here, if Fife, we haven't had any snow at all. In fact, since getting the Jazz, 18 months ago, I have never driven it in snow. I have 175/65T14 on steel wheels, and with my brand new tyres I am not expecting trouble. My last three cars were all automatics, and with "Snow" mode they coped quite well. The Volvo "Snow" setting just locked it in 4th. Exceeding 50 mph disabled "Snow" mode. Even the 85 Carlton, which was rear wheel drive, coped well being an automatic.
My daughter had a Vauxhall Frontera 4x4, and it was useless if there was more than two snowflakes. It had wide, chrome, wheels, and even with its "butch" tyres went nowhere in the snow.
My son-in-law is brilliant at driving in snow. His Mercedes-Benz Sprinter is RWD, but heavily laden with tools. His job, all winter, is rescuing broken down snow ploughs and gritters, all over the Highlands. So if the snow plough can get there, he gets there! He has chains, but never uses them.

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 12:38:59 PM »
I did look at getting a set of winter tyres for my Jazz but they were too expensive really to make it worth doing. I do try and keep an eye out for cheap winter tyres but I would also need a set of steel wheels to put them on as well.

If you look up videos on YouTube about winter tyres they almost look like magic at how uch grip they have on pure ice.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 01:46:44 PM »
I did look at getting a set of winter tyres for my Jazz but they were too expensive really to make it worth doing. I do try and keep an eye out for cheap winter tyres but I would also need a set of steel wheels to put them on as well.
You can try a Honda dealership for good used ones. I did that last year and found in September a 15" steel wheel set with Michelin Alpin A4 tyres which came from a 2014/15 Jazz and had been used for about 2000 kilometre (1250 miles). They also came with the original Honda wheel caps and i paid a total of € 200.

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 02:17:05 PM »
Wow that's a very good price!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 04:32:59 PM »

You are much more likely to find bargain winter tyres/wheels in Europe as there are a lot more of them in circulation because it is law they have to be fitted,  in UK it is not so not likely to find such a bargain over here.  Try mytyres.co.uk for steel wheel / winter tyre deals,  paid £80 a corner for my wifes 175/65R15 Nokian WR-D3 on steels fully balanced.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 04:51:22 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
Snow test
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 07:32:53 PM »

You are much more likely to find bargain winter tyres/wheels in Europe as there are a lot more of them in circulation because it is law they have to be fitted,  in UK it is not so not likely to find such a bargain over here.  Try mytyres.co.uk for steel wheel / winter tyre deals,  paid £80 a corner for my wifes 175/65R15 Nokian WR-D3 on steels fully balanced.

I think i was lucky that i started looking for them in the late summer, sitting in the garden surfing the dealers websites nearby. A good set complete winter wheels in the winter are gone in the blink of an eye. And when i hadn't find them, i would have bought them new, but without the wheel caps.

We live close to the Belgian en German border. In the Netherlands and Belgian winter tyres are not required by law, France the same. In Germany they are required in winter conditions,  Luxembourg falls under the same regime as in Germany, they are mandatory in winter conditions. The rest of Europe i never visit with a car, so i don't know the law for winter tyres there.

MartinJG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 12:01:02 AM »

Thanks for some interesting feedback on the winter tyres. Trouble is that snow is a bit of a rarity in this country these days. Astonished that Jocko is a stranger to the stuff in the land of the Haggis of all places. I have never really seen the merit in switching to a winter set unless of course you live in parts where the white stuff is a regular event. I believe Snake Pass is predictably unpassable in mid winter but that is an extreme. For most of us, it boils down to simply dealing with it if and when it happens. Reminds me of a story an old Aussie farmer told me when I was over there many years ago. Joe, an aborigine worker used to help out on the farm from time to time in between walkabout. Rainfall was infrequent but on the occasions it fell, he would fashion a crude shelter by peeling bark from trees and huddle under it until the rain passed. Needless to say it was not particularly effective. The farmer observed this routine and suggested he build himself a proper shelter. 'No point, boss' he said, 'don't need it when it's not raining'. I suppose he had a point. The snow seems to have largely disappeared so I guess I'll stick with my regulars.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 07:21:06 AM »
Trouble is that snow is a bit of a rarity in this country these days.. The snow seems to have largely disappeared so I guess I'll stick with my regulars.

I'd say that winter tyres show the biggest difference when the temperature is below 7 degrees C and in particular when it's icy. Our car will probably get stuck in a 3 foot deep snow drift whatever type of tyres it has on, but if it has the winter tyres fitted, it's more likely to get up an ice covered hill than its summer tyres shod equivalent. So the lack of white stuff is almost immaterial.

YMMV.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 08:07:22 AM »
In 50 years driving I have never had winter tyres and never felt the need to have winter tyres. Here in Fife, if it snows it is gone in a couple of hours (good gritting and traffic), and if it is deeper than normal then other drivers make it best just to avoid driving.
This is about the limit of the snow we have here and I have never had problems driving in it.

The worst snowfall I have experienced recently was this one, eleven years ago. It fell on a Sunday, but the following day I was able to get about with no problems.
If you get snow like this, regularly, you live in an isolated area and you desperately need to get about in your car, then winter tyres could be a good thing.

My uncle retired and went to live in Speyside, a number of years ago. He bought a Lada Cossack 4x4 for the winter weather. The first heavy snowfall he dug it out of the snow in his drive, drove up the hill to the top of the village, and found that the snowplough had ploughed the main road leaving a 10' wall of snow isolating the village. He just went back and sat by the fire!

Tags:

anything