Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Handbrake well stuck.
« Last post by culzean on Today at 09:49:57 AM »
This morning, when I came to drive car out of the garage, I found the handbrake was well stuck. It took 3 attempts, about on the verge of stalling, before it released and for the first couple of brake applications afterwards the brakes were audible in their action.
I put the car away at Saturday lunchtime, after a 40 mile drive in heavy rain, surface water and spray. Today was the first use since.
As I seldom use the brakes they didn't get a chance to dry out, and the pads obviously stuck to the disc. I will try and remember to leave the handbrake off when the car is in the garage. I always leave it in gear anyway.

If I was parking on a level garage floor or even a level driveway (ours is anything but level) I would always leave car in gear with handbrake off as ours have stuck a few times (the rear drums never used to). I always leave car in 1st gear even when handbrake is used anyway - I don't trust handbrakes as a cable can give way at any time and I don't trust disc handbrakes at all.
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Recommended Oils
« Last post by culzean on Today at 09:44:42 AM »
On my previous car (a Polo) I used fully synthetic oil which remained clear for most of a year at about 8,000 mile p.a.
However, on my 63 reg Jazz CVT, semi-synthetic has been used (by both Honda dealership and independent garage) and I've noticed the oil gets black within 100/200 miles. Is this normal and do most members of the Forum a) use fully synthetic or b) notice the oil turning black very quickly?

If an oil turns black it is doing its job to clean out the engine and mop up combustion products that blow by the piston rings etc. also heating the oil will darken it (oil is used as a coolant as well as a lubricant in engines).   I use fully synthetic Castrol Magnatec 5W30 in Jazz and Civic and it is going black within 1000 miles,  but neither of them use a drop of oil between changes, non of my Hondas ever have, even when I was covering 25,000 miles a year +.   I have used semi and fully synth in the past (remember using Mobil 1 fully synth in a Ford Sierra when the oil first came out in late 70's early 80's and it went black pretty quick). VAG vehicles used to be notorious for developing the 'black sludge' due to being very heavy on their oil,  a lot of engines were ruined that way until engines redesigned and better oils cured the problem,  but VAG still recommend using their own branded engine oils (as my bro found out with his Skoda).   A lot of car engines were ( maybe still are if incorrect oil used or left in too long), prone to develop sludge - but IIRC Honda was never among them.

https://blog.amsoil.com/why-does-motor-oil-turn-black/

https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/vw-audi-settle-class-action-suit-over-engine-sludge/

http://casestudies.atlanticmotorcar.com/vw-passat-v6-engine-oil-sludge-incorrect-oil-grade-used/

When I check oil level (about once a month, but never varies) I will rub the oil from dipstick between thumb and forefinger to see if it still feels 'slippery' - if it feels 'sticky' I take that as a sign the oil will ned changing soon.
« Last post by hemming on Today at 09:22:46 AM »
On my previous car (a Polo) I used fully synthetic oil which remained clear for most of a year at about 8,000 mile p.a.
However, on my 63 reg Jazz CVT, semi-synthetic has been used (by both Honda dealership and independent garage) and I've noticed the oil gets black within 100/200 miles. Is this normal and do most members of the Forum a) use fully synthetic or b) notice the oil turning black very quickly?
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: How do you wash your wheels?
« Last post by culzean on Today at 08:46:03 AM »
I did! With silicone sealer.
Not what I'd call an adhesive. I would use super glue or Gorilla glue.
Not back in those days, you wouldn't!

Nothing wrong with s/s, applied sensibly. I have even repaired shoes, sticking on, new soles.......

Superglue has been around a long time, they used it in Vietnam war to stick wounds together rather than stitches. I had a gash on my head superglued together by local hospital a few years ago...

Araldite (two part epxoy) was used to stick Mosquito planes together in WW2,  they have recovered parts where the wood was pretty much gone but the glue was as strong as ever.
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: My Honda App
« Last post by ColinB on Today at 08:40:00 AM »
Just noticed the edit to Reply#8:
... nothing Honda can use is not what they already know or could easily find out anyway, I am not sure what personal data you think it can give them, as I have stated before in the settings you can choose what information you wish to be transmitted or even disable it ...
ďPersonal dataĒ is any data that can be associated with an individual. Section 1 of the Privacy Policy (Annex 1 of the Ts&Cs) defines the data Honda collects, and tells you that it can be associated with you as an individual when aggregated with other records (eg they know the identity of the individual who owns the car with that VIN). So they correctly define the whole lot as Personal Data (see 1.3). And none of the stuff about car performance, driving style, location, etc, is available to Honda through any other means so your assertion that they already know it all anyway is not correct.

Once again you are completely ignoring that you can control what is sent and collected by Honda and you can just allow what information if any you want to be collected by them while still using several of the useful features of the app.
No, I didnít ignore that comment, which is why I said ...
... if youíre going to turn it off, why have it in the first place ?

But the main point here is that having this system or not is an individual choice based on personal attitudes and values. As Iíve said several times now, anyone making that choice needs to understand the implications for their personal privacy, and that is important to many people which is why Iím highlighting it. That is not criticising anyone elseís choice.

Incidentally, I see the Ts&Cs & FAQs have been amended since the last time I looked to prevent you receiving someone elseís personal data after youíve sold the car. Thatís a step in the right direction, although it can take up to 6 months to kick in.
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Handbrake well stuck.
« Last post by Jocko on Today at 06:47:16 AM »
This morning, when I came to drive car out of the garage, I found the handbrake was well stuck. It took 3 attempts, about on the verge of stalling, before it released and for the first couple of brake applications afterwards the brakes were audible in their action.
I put the car away at Saturday lunchtime, after a 40 mile drive in heavy rain, surface water and spray. Today was the first use since.
As I seldom use the brakes they didn't get a chance to dry out, and the pads obviously stuck to the disc. I will try and remember to leave the handbrake off when the car is in the garage. I always leave it in gear anyway.
« Last post by Jocko on Today at 06:05:48 AM »
Gearbox and final drive are one and the same and you should use Honda's recommended gearbox oil. Castrol is great in the engine. Use fully synthetic of the correct grade, and change the oil filter too.
New Members / Re: Newbie
« Last post by Jocko on Today at 06:01:59 AM »
Welcome, Alan. An excellent buy, but it depends on what you are paying for it. Do you know why it has done so few miles? My 2006 has done 104,000 miles and that is classed as lower than average miles. Has it been serviced by date, as against by miles? I am sure you will enjoy the flexibility and economy you will get from the Jazz.
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: Jazz discs and pads
« Last post by kevinivtec on Today at 12:33:40 AM »
hi please see my recent detailed post regarding from and rear pad and disc replacement if  if you cannot remove the discs screws by almeans's try an impact wrench if not use a pin punch to  punch the screw around in an anti clockwise direction the screws i had were fitted at the swindon factory and had a blob of blue thread lock on them bit of a pig to release get new ones on e bay 6 mm csk  i got all mine out this way and when replacing them just gave a sear of coppaslip for next time, still would fit them back as it can be a bit of a nuisance to assemble everything back just makes it easier and dont forget to grease your slider pins with high temp grease NOT COPASLIP!!!, also front pistons push back rears turn back hope this helps a very easy job to do good luck
ps used pagid discs and pads all round superb!!!!!
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Recommended Oils
« Last post by Izzy on June 17, 2018, 10:32:18 PM »
High guys
  I just wondering what oils does every one recommend for engine, gearbox and final drive pls I do like Castrol my self.
Does the forum have discount's from any major supplier. Your help is most appreciated. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10