Author Topic: Error Message  (Read 20774 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Error Message
« on: August 30, 2017, 07:38:08 PM »
I am regularly getting an error message that says ' Site cannot be reached' when trying to connect to Club Jazz.
Is anyone else getting this?

Vic.

guest4871

Re: Error Message
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:52:42 PM »
Not had problems here or by using Google Search.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:02:15 PM »
Constantly. You click a thread and it comes up with the error. Go back and try again and it works. I did a screen dump, intending to post the question a couple of days ago, the lost the dump!
I use Windows 10 with Google Chrome as my browser.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:25:19 PM »
yeah,  get it fairly regularly - just keep trying
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 10:41:49 PM »
Yes - I've had this - not often but I do get it. No rhyme nor reason from what I can see.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 11:19:45 PM »
Hi

It most likely a resource issue on the hosting platform

Common reasons are

If shared platform - too many connections

If vps, too much resources used or too many connections

The end result is error 404, page cannot be displayed

I would be surprised if it was dns, but if you think it is, just try pinging website and you should see if it resolves

Another thing to try is website downforall (you'll need to google it for correct URL)

Hope that helps

Many thanks

John

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 03:01:40 PM »
The end result is error 404, page cannot be displayed

Thanks for that John, it's a bit beyond me but thanks anyway.
The error message actually says: 'Site cannot be reached'  and gives a couple of suggestions as to what to do.
It's annoying rather than a real problem and it effects other people too apparently but Club Jazz is the only site I get the message on.
I use Google Chrome and Windows 10. I'll have to try it on Edge.

Regards, Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »
I use Google Chrome and Windows 10. I'll have to try it on Edge.
The problem is you will have to use Edge all the time. If you get the problem on Chrome, then change to Edge you may think that has solved it. But closing then reopening Chrome can have the same effect.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 06:20:47 PM »
Hi

Many thanks

Sorry I may not have explained too well sorry

Firstly, the issue is not with any particular browser (refreshing a browser could cause the browser to use cache over live if visited usually on the same day)

I suspect it is a too many connections issue (a 404 error maybe scripted to show a customised page)

To explain in more terms that most may understand better I hope

Imagine the browser call to forum/jazzorg is a request to your phone for you get into your car and drive 200 miles, but your on the phone already, so the caller gets a destination unreachable because your on the phone. When you end the call, it then rings

In very simple terms, this is how a hosting platform works, but with say 30,000 phone lines, and each line is autoanswered many times a second. Once all the lines are in use, it gives destination unreachable

We are an ESP and have many shared hosting servers, which are clustered, so each server could handle say 50,000 calls on each, and if you have say 5 servers clustered together, it gives you 250,000 calls total

I hope that makes more sense but please understand, I do know what this site uses, and it is purely a guess as to why it happens (albeit an educated guess without any knowledge of the platform etc)

Many thanks

John

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 06:48:29 PM »
Just an 'engaged' signal from the website then, I must admit that when I occasionally get the error if I try again straight away I get the site up,  so it is a fleeting thing.

I remember when the clubjazz site had its bandwidth problem a while ago one of the first signs was the site cannot be reached error.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

d2d4j

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 06:57:07 PM »
Hi culzean

Yes, I think you've got the idea

It may appear fleeting, but this is due to speed of the server handling requests.

So in one thousand of a second (say 146ms), there maybe say 1000 requests, and the very next thousand of a second, after server let's say had handled 850 of those 1000 request previously made, there maybe 600 new request, so within the 2 thousand of a second, 1600 requests made, with 150 requests still outstanding to be performed

This is ongoing but hopefully gives a little insight 

I guess it's very like the computer controlling your ABS

Many thanks

John

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 08:35:42 PM »
I'll look into this to see what the problem is. It is not browser related though.

We moved severs recently to allow a SSL connection and to increase bandwidth.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 08:40:33 AM »
Well as our IT department has closed off lots of ports on the server I was blaming them what I had the 404 error. but not seen it for the last week or so.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 09:57:16 AM »
I've been getting a lot of this this morning.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 10:23:16 AM »
Hi jocko

Many thanks, that helps a little from my perspective

I think I maybe wrong sorry in my educated guess earlier and it could be a simple case of misconfigured dns (NS to be precise)

A quick check reveals the nameservers are inconsistent to each other, giving different set of NS records

Even if I am wrong again (very possible sorry), the nameservers should be fully resolved

I am not posting any details on here sorry, but if Richard wants to pm me, I'll send him the details, or a live check can be performed

Jocko, there is a simple test which may prove if I'm right in above, by adding an into your computer host file.

I can give the details and how to do this if you want, as you seem to be having this issue.

After a few days (or when past the time frame you would normally see the issue), if you still have not an issue, you can delete the entry

I'm sorry if I should not be posting, and no details have been given but just trying to help a little

Many thanks

John

Tags:

anything