Author Topic: Traffic updates on Satnav  (Read 1122 times)

mikehibbert

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Traffic updates on Satnav
« on: May 03, 2019, 01:02:56 PM »
Hello all,

I'm a new Honda Jazz (EX Navi 65 plate) owner and so far I'm impressed. All except for the poor updating of traffic on the satnav. I'm normally a Waze user and the traffic updates are very accurate, however since switching over to the on board one in "Jeff" I've found myself getting frustrated.
I've yet to see it tell me anything about any traffic, and last night I was stuck in 2 miles of tailbacks while it gleefully reported "no traffic ahead".

Am i doing anything wrong or is it just a bit rubbish?

cheers
Mike

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
Re: Traffic updates on Satnav
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 01:23:41 PM »
Hi Mike

No you are not doing anything wrong. The Garmin system uses TMC which uses FM radio stations to transmit a very small amount of traffic data. Other systems such as Waze use traffic data via the internet. The higher volume of data allows much greater detail of traffic delays and also enables much more frequent updates. 

In contrast to the situation you found yourself in last night, TMC can still indicate a problem which cleared hours before.

Hope this helps

Nigel

mikehibbert

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Re: Traffic updates on Satnav
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 07:49:43 AM »
Thanks Nigel, I kinda get how they work but just amazed that the built in one can’t be updated with anything useful.
I’m going to buy a car mount for my phone and carry on using waze. But it’s a shame that the in car one is so useless.

Tags:

anything