Author Topic: Smelly air con  (Read 1728 times)

RobS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 67-plate 1.3 S
Smelly air con
« on: May 02, 2019, 02:10:41 PM »
My aircon smells (badly) for up to five minutes if it hasn't been used for a day. I assume this is due to mould growing somewhere. Is this something I can sort out myself or is it a job for the dealer?

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Smelly air con
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 02:42:09 PM »
This is quite common and can be cured by buying a 'bomb' from a car accessory shop. This is an aerosol type can that you set off in the car with aircon on max heat and fan speed and set to recirculate.
I have used them and they work.

Vic.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 03:18:56 PM »
Yes, the bomb usually works fine.
Another way is switching off the aircon some minutes before leaving the car, and leaving the fan to dry the cabin cooler.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 03:23:59 PM »
This is quite common and can be cured by buying a 'bomb' from a car accessory shop. This is an aerosol type can that you set off in the car with aircon on max heat and fan speed and set to recirculate.
I have used them and they work.

Vic.

Yes have used them in the past, bought two last year a Comma one and an STP one, found them in garage yesterday when cleaning up ( they were on special somewhere so a real bargain and I bought them ' just in case ' ).  The STP one feels full but the Comma one felt decidedly light and empty ( still in original box ) pressed the trigger down on Comma one and it was empty, all leaked away..... 

Have not had to use one for years though because what I tend to do is turn aircon off for last mile of journey to allow condenser to dry out,  if you leave aircon on all the time the condenser will be damp when vehicle is left standing and this encourage mould to grow, which is where the smell comes from.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 03:25:36 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RobS

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 67-plate 1.3 S
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 04:01:54 PM »
Thanks all.

Is the best place to put this aircon-bomb in the passenger footwell or doesn't it really matter?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 04:03:35 PM »
I bought Comma Air Con Cleaner for my Volvo, and when I set it off there was virtually nothing in it, I then bought Normfest Viro, from Euro Car Spares (currently £10.99). You spray it in the vents. Worked great. I also changed the pollen filter, but doubt that would be necessary on such a new car.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/Accessories/Car-Care/Air-Conditioning/Air-Conditioning-Cleaner/?NOR2897300&0&cc5_101&gclid=CjwKCAjwqqrmBRAAEiwAdpDXtNjbhqBEQ3yvrCEQ-jqXJTZIoVpzlnYyWD-mW2p4jVhKttvbNp5PXBoCHw4QAvD_BwE

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 04:12:19 PM »
Depends on the make,  some say passenger footwell others say front passenger seat fully forward and then in the rear.

Also set the air con the max cooling,  fan max, temp cold and recirculation mode.

Have tried comma air con to good effect  and also simoniz brand works well

Tags: