Author Topic: oil dilution for direct injection  (Read 6326 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
oil dilution for direct injection
« on: April 27, 2019, 12:22:45 PM »
is it just the 1.5 jazz engine that has a problem with oil dilution or the 1.3 as well

i cant even find if the 1.3 is a direct injected engine or multi point port injection

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: oil dilution for direct injection
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 12:39:15 PM »
If that's the issue mentioned here https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11071.0 then I wouldn't lose any sleep about it. There needs to be extreme cold to cause sufficient fuel to not evaporate to cause this problem. UK winters are relatively mild.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 12:53:43 PM »
If that's the issue mentioned here https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11071.0 then I wouldn't lose any sleep about it. There needs to be extreme cold to cause sufficient fuel to not evaporate to cause this problem. UK winters are relatively mild.

yeah it was the fit 1.5 in the us that were having the problem

so the 1.3 is a direct injection engine as well as the 1.5 ?

thanks

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 07:01:31 PM »
so the 1.3 is a direct injection engine as well as the 1.5 ?
It says fuel injection here https://www.car.info/en-se/honda/jazz/jazz-13-i-vtec-7897964/specs but doesn't say which type of injection. Both the 1.3 and 1.5 engines have the same bore but different strokes. I would have expected the engines to have the maximum number of common parts in order to simplify manufacturing and inventory.

We know that the Honda engines don't need their oil topping up between services but neither have there been any reports in UK of the oil level increasing.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 08:53:59 PM »
From my research it appears that the Jazz, from 2015 update, has direct injection in all models. I am willing to stand corrected as information is not easily found!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 11:18:06 PM »
From my research it appears that the Jazz, from 2015 update, has direct injection in all models. I am willing to stand corrected as information is not easily found!

I would think so, most petrols are going that way these days.

I hope they have managed to do something about the high pressure pump failures which plagued the early attempts at direct petrol injection in the 1990s.

proxsteel

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2015
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 06:55:57 AM »
For Gdi engines only.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 10:47:41 AM »
is it just the 1.5 jazz engine that has a problem with oil dilution or the 1.3 as well
The link posted by John Ratsey (and the onward link in that post) refers specifically to 1.5 turbo engines. AFAIK, the 1.5 in the UK-spec Jazz is normally-aspirated, therefore oil-dilution in extreme cold is not applicable to that car. To put it another way: don't worry about it.

beerbelly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC 2019
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 01:33:39 PM »
From US Fit freak Forum :

Scotty Kilmer is a dipstick. His YouTube video blamed the problem on Honda's EarthDreams Direct Injection engine. He doesn't seem to be aware that the problem is with Honda's EarthDreams DI TURBO engine. That turbo engine is in the Civic and the CR-V and is causing all kinds of oil dilution problems in these vehicles in North America and especially China. There is no problem with the EarthDreams DI non-turbo engine as used in the Fit.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 10:05:33 AM »

I hope they have managed to do something about the high pressure pump failures which plagued the early attempts at direct petrol injection in the 1990s.
No, no doubt that my 2017 1.3 has indirect injection, and the 1.5 has direct injection. You also can check it  in Honda News website.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 03:42:59 PM »

No, no doubt that my 2017 1.3 has indirect injection, and the 1.5 has direct injection. You also can check it  in Honda News website.

This site says 2015 1.3 model still had multi point indirect injection but 2017 facelift got direct injection. 

https://www.auto-data.net/en/honda-jazz-iii-facelift-2017-1.3-i-vtec-102hp-32643
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 04:05:20 PM »
That is what I meant by information is not easily found.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 04:21:53 PM »
https://hondanews.eu/gb/en/cars/media/pressreleases/125475/2018-honda-jazz-15-i-vtec
They talk about the 1.5 direct injection, but nothing about the 1.3 who appears unchanged, consumption data apart (but there's been the change from NEDC to WLTP).
Moving from indirect to direct fuel injection is not so easy, it means a deep change in an engine head. Honda knows how to do it, but I think they would have enlighted this major change. So, in my opinion, autodata is making a mistake.
Anyway, oil diluition is quite a common issue in GDI engines; in Europe it becomes an important problem, leading to early oil change, only in very cold weather and short trips: the gasoline dropped in the oil pan evaporates as  the oil temperature rise, so usually european gdi engines work fine.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 04:42:54 PM by jazzaro »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 10:32:30 PM »
Wikipedia has a section on Honda advanced technology, including this quote under the Earth Dreams sub-heading for 1.3 to 1.5 litre engines: "Employs VTC, direct injection technology and the Atkinson cycle using the DOHC, VTEC technologies as the base. Extensive friction reduction measures have been implemented."

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 10:49:40 PM »
Wikipedia has a section on Honda advanced technology, including this quote under the Earth Dreams sub-heading for 1.3 to 1.5 litre engines: "Employs VTC, direct injection technology and the Atkinson cycle using the DOHC, VTEC technologies as the base. Extensive friction reduction measures have been implemented."
Yes, but not together on both engines.

Tags:

anything