Author Topic: New to us Gen 3 Jazz SE  (Read 3672 times)

orcadian

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz SE
New to us Gen 3 Jazz SE
« on: December 24, 2018, 06:26:40 PM »
Hi folks,
Just got our 2015 Jazz SE home (you’ve been tango’d) and so far very impressed, even after having many Civics and more recently a Gen 2 CR-V Premiere.  Lots of other stuff (bikes and cars) still in the cupboard!
Anyway, I have an issue with the service book which is the point of my question.  The book has two dealer stamps, one at 9000 miles after about a year from new, then the service we asked for at purchase with 16000 ish miles last week.
This book looks very new and there is nothing written in the ‘Your Car’ section - no reg number, no vin number, no radio code, no PDI stamp - absolutely nothing! The empty dealer copy part is also still there.

I can’t believe that this is just shoddy paperwork by the supplying  dealer but more like a previously lost book.

The previous owner died and it took some time to sort out his estate so the book could have been misplaced.  All relatively OK, except for the fact that the first service is stamped with the original name of the Honda Dealership, whereas the second, although the same dealership is under their new name.

If this is a replacement, then they still have the old stamp, which is close to fraud or at least deception. 

Has anyone else ever had a service book with no information to tie it to a specific vehicle, which in my eyes renders the service history totally invalid? It could refer to absolutely any car.

I realise Honda keep computerised records of all work done, so we should be able to get the required info but if we ever sold the car, the buyer would not want to do that.

Yes, I should have checked but there was that much to do that day, I only checked the service stamps.

Obviously the holiday will now intervene so I can’t get back to them til NewYear.

Regards,
Ian

Footnote: although quite impressed with the 2012 Hybrid on offer, we think this is a better choice for not much more money.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 06:56:57 PM by orcadian »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: New to us Gen 3 Jazz SE
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 09:30:32 PM »
It does seem a bit odd and no I haven't had the exact set of circumstances you describe. First step would be to see what the seller of the vehicle has to say about this. On top of that, if the services have been done at a main dealer there should be a computer record on Honda's main database.

orcadian

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 11:35:26 PM »
Hi peteo48,
Many thanks for the reply - yes I will speak to them as soon as they reopen after the hols and see what they have to say. We are both really pleased with the car and hadn’t realised just how far things had moved on. I won’t let this spoil our experience of what is an excellent car in all respects.
I’ll post back with their side of the story but you can imagine a bit of wriggling taking place.

Regards,
Ian

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 09:48:42 AM »
I have never had any real problems with service records of Jazz's bought from Honda dealers except the failure to record oil changes on the CVT gearbox. Every time they have checked the records, which I have had shown to me, and the service book has been brought up to date.

Vic.

orcadian

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 01:29:02 PM »
Thanks Vic,
If you get the chance, can you tell me if what has been entered in the ‘Your Car’ page in your service details (not the actual numbers of course!) and if the PDI box has been stamped.

Many thanks and all the very best,
Ian

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 10:23:33 AM »
When I bought mine new, the title page was completed and stamped by the dealer, and the salesman talked me through the PDI page, we both signed it and he then stamped and dated it.  I think this is standard practice, but where the original owner has died, locating the service book could obviously be difficult.

orcadian

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 11:12:13 AM »
Thanks Downsizer,
Yes that was my understanding of what the supplying dealer had to do and as I said I fully understand the difficulty following the death of the original owner.  I could accept all this if I had been told before buying (we weren’t) but what I am very dissatisfied with is either the rather underhand way they have made a duplicate with no details or PDI info (if that is what has happened) or a very lax paperwork exercise of an important document in the beginning and not spotted at resale if this is actually the original.  With no tie up of the service book to the actual vehicle, I shall seek a fully documented explanation.  Yes, perhaps I am being pedantic but this is not just a pair of trousers we are talking about and doubt the Dealer or other purchaser would accept a service history from me which is worthless.

On the plus side we are both really pleased with the car which is almost as new in all respects, the car really speaks for itself conditionwise.  We still have our CR-V Premiere in case we didn’t get on with this smaller car but I can see it going in the Spring.

Thanks again,
Ian
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 11:16:31 AM by orcadian »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 03:40:38 PM »
Talk to your dealer and put your concerns to him in writing - keep a copy- ask to see the HPI/Experian check they carried out & give them a couple of days to rectify matters then take a route which satisfies your peace of mind.
I'm sure they will want to help you out.
Let the forum know how matters pan out.

orcadian

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 06:59:14 PM »
Thanks olduser (me too!)
As I say, as soon as the hols are over, I need answers from them - I have an HPI report and am comfortable with the service stamp dates and mileages but need to know why there is no PDI stamp and nothing written in the vehicle details to connect it to our car - incompetent or verging on the fraudulent? - I’ll find out which soon enough!

I’ll definitely report back with the outcome.

Ian

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 10:56:06 PM »
The only really satisfactory explanation would be if the book had been lost between registration and first service, but you would think the dealer would have completed the relevant entries. Dealers will happily supply blank service record books, for a fee of course, if you happen to misplace yours.

I did have a Vauxhall a long time ago which had all the service stamps in the book, including the PDI, but never had the vehicle particulars filled in. Perhaps this laxity still goes on at some dealers. Come to think of it, I might still have the book somewhere, the car was nicked off the driveway!  >:(

Jeangenie

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 08:20:20 AM »
I have been reading this thread with some interest since it is about 6 weeks until I get my new car. It strikes me that maybe the service book could not be found on the previous owners demise. The dealer has therefore populated a new book with the service history from Honda's computer record. Most subsequent owners are only interested in the service history. Not what was or wasn't done at the pre delivery inspection.

orcadian

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 08:38:34 AM »
Hi folks,
Yes I am aware that they can ‘repopulate’ a service book from their computer records if one is lost and the loss in this case is to some extent understandable, however we should have been told this - a small point perhaps?  The issue I have is that if they have made a new book, then what would be the reason for reproducing the first stamp with a different pen and signature using the Dealership stamp with the company’s previous name before takeover, other than intent to deceive?  Then forgetting to put the vehicle details in so it becomes worthless in future.

Still love the car though - they have certainly moved on a bit in some areas.  It should be a pleasure to fill with fuel and check around the engine bay, were it not for the missing top coat of paint in those (and other) areas - I know this has been discussed before though.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 08:40:43 AM by orcadian »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 08:41:03 AM »
This has prompted me to look at the service book for my HR-V which was delivered 3 weeks ago.  Nothing filled in anywhere.  I will be discussing it with them.

orcadian

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 11:06:25 AM »
Hi,
Downsizer in reply#5 has it spot on as to what should have happened in both cases and the Dealer has a page to fill in and sign after explaining what the PDI involved.  Some salesmen, certainly not all, only see the commission and forget their legal obligations.  This is after all, part of a contract between buyer and seller.

I should find out later today in my case, let us know how you get on too.
Ian

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 12:22:40 PM »
The issue I have is that if they have made a new book, then what would be the reason for reproducing the first stamp with a different pen and signature using the Dealership stamp with the company’s previous name before takeover, other than intent to deceive?

The only thing you can do is the ask the dealer if the book was indeed a recent replacement in order to complete the paperwork, although it would be easy for them to plead ignorance and suggest that any substitution must have occurred previous to the first service.

It all hinges upon the date the book was replaced, if indeed it was. Do you know if the same dealership was the the original supplying dealer? If not, it gives them another option for them to wash their hands of it all. Any print date tucked away anywhere on the service book?

If the book did indeed turn out to be a recent fabrication by the dealer, then I too would find the use of the two different ink stamps highly suspect.

Tags:

anything