Author Topic: Spare Wheel / Under Boot Storage Finishing..  (Read 16170 times)

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
Spare Wheel / Under Boot Storage Finishing..
« on: June 18, 2018, 03:17:39 PM »
Is everyone else's mk3 boot finished like this? Not great, why is that?

I was just taking a look and considering a spare wheel (in future).

Pic of full area as well for anyone interested.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 03:27:14 PM by JazzyJJ »

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
Re: Spare Wheel / Under Boot Storage Finishing..
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »
Anyone got a pic of the same area with a spare wheel installed? Curious how much space is around it and on top for storage.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 04:41:42 PM »
Anyone got a pic of the same area with a spare wheel installed? Curious how much space is around it and on top for storage.

If you have a Honda spare wheel kit there is a small amount of storage around the wheel but none on top as the tool and Jack storage / floor support fits closely to the wheel. There is some shallow storage on top of the floor support, about one and a half inches deep. I keep my user manual, a torch and a few other odds and ends there.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 04:51:26 PM by Skyrider »

guest7494

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 05:13:20 PM »
I purchased a spare wheel on Ebay so not the full kit as Honda supplied but I have the Jack,foot pump and odds and sods inc Tools  stored etc.
I found that if you put wheel off centre and used the bolt and cup etc in a wheel nut hole to safely secure it.
It provided more space to accomodate the above accoutrements.at the side by placing Tyre pump in box into centre of wheel,it provided substantial support for the cardboard floor that is supplied.
Hope this is of interest and perhaps some help.
You need to move wheel around abit to maximise the available space.
Good luck.

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC SE MT
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 07:13:58 PM »

Full size wheel in the attached picture. Scissor jack wrapped in cardboard on the left. Biggest problem is finding suitable support for the flimsy boot floor as there is an inch or so gap between it and the wheel. If it was as sturdy as the MK2 boot floor I don't think it would be a problem. Thanks Honda for saving a few pennies here and making things more difficult.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 07:21:33 PM »

Full size wheel in the attached picture. Scissor jack wrapped in cardboard on the left. Biggest problem is finding suitable support for the flimsy boot floor as there is an inch or so gap between it and the wheel. If it was as sturdy as the MK2 boot floor I don't think it would be a problem. Thanks Honda for saving a few pennies here and making things more difficult.

It is not Honda's fault if you buy a DIY spare wheel and it does not support the boot floor. Honda's kit fits perfectly and supports the boot floor.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 07:54:10 PM »

It is not Honda's fault if you buy a DIY spare wheel and it does not support the boot floor. Honda's kit fits perfectly and supports the boot floor.

Skyrider is 100% right  :-X

Buy a piece of foam to sit on top of wheel and glue some hardboard on top, or maybe just the foam will do it if it is firm enough.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 08:21:48 PM »

I bought a Honda kit for my MK2 but it was one of those space-saver wheels and I wasn't going to spend £100+ on another one of those kits. Whilst this may be a DIY job, I would rather have a full size spare.

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 08:32:37 PM »

When you finally get around to upgrading your Jazz to a MK3 I will be interested to know what option you choose a) rely on the supplied bottle of gunk b) buy a Honda space-saver kit for £100+ or c) buy a full size spare and do a bit of DIY?

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 09:24:29 PM »

When you finally get around to upgrading your Jazz to a MK3 I will be interested to know what option you choose a) rely on the supplied bottle of gunk b) buy a Honda space-saver kit for £100+ or c) buy a full size spare and do a bit of DIY?

Your new Jazz will cost you many thousands of pounds over its time with you, why begrudge £100 for a spare wheel kit that fits the car? You could sell your random wheel and jack. It is spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar.

PS

The tyre pump and bottle of glue also fit in the correct floor support along with the tools, jack, user manual wallet, and a few other bits of your choice.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 09:31:31 PM by Skyrider »

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 10:04:18 PM »
Your new Jazz will cost you many thousands of pounds over its time with you, why begrudge £100 for a spare wheel kit that fits the car? You could sell your random wheel and jack. It is spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar.

PS

The tyre pump and bottle of glue also fit in the correct floor support along with the tools, jack, user manual wallet, and a few other bits of your choice.

But like the MK2 kit - the MK3 kit it includes a space-saver wheel? If so I've been there and done that and don't want another space-saver. I would rather have a full size spare and that's the choice I've made the second time around. If your kit includes a space-saver and are happy with its limitations then that's fair enough.

I would argue that it's Honda is spoiling the MK3 ship for a ha'porth of tar by not keeping the MK2 arrangement of providing a sturdy boot floor with a carpeted under floor boot storage area should you be happy with the gunk and not require a spare. Best of both worlds.

PS May I ask how much you paid for your MK3 spare wheel kit?

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 10:05:16 PM »
I think I can avoid yet another rant over what Honda did with the boot floor on the Mk3. Took what was a clever and innovative storage arrangement and destroyed it

The Mk2 had:

* A carpeted wheel well.
* A solid floor that could support pretty much any load you cared to put in the boot.
* The floor, although supportive, had a flap that gave access to a small cargo net area underneath.
* The floor could either lift up completely or could hinge in the middle with catches to keep it hinged while you accessed the main well area.

The Mk3 has a bit of felt covered hardboard and on my version at least they've not even painted over the primer.

The Jazz sells on its amazing storage capacity. And Honda went and ruined one of the more clever solutions they'd come up with.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:07:13 PM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 10:14:16 PM »

PS

But like the MK2 kit - the MK3 kit it includes a space-saver wheel? If so I've been there and done that and don't want another space-saver. I would rather have a full size spare and that's the choice I've made the second time around. If your kit includes a space-saver and are happy with its limitations then that's fair enough.

I would argue that it's Honda is spoiling the MK3 ship for a ha'porth of tar by not keeping the MK2 arrangement of providing a sturdy boot floor with a carpeted under floor boot storage area should you be happy with the gunk and not require a spare. Best of both worlds.

PS May I ask how much you paid for your MK3 spare wheel kit?

It was discounted as part of the deal when I bought my 2016 car £50, I transferred it to my 2018 car. I think the full price is about £100.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:18:21 PM by Skyrider »

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 10:26:00 PM »
It was discounted as part of the deal when I bought my 2016 car £50, I transferred it to my 2018 car. I think the full price is about £100.

£50 is a good price - I can see why you went for the kit.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 10:36:10 PM »
The spare wheel is a bit academic anyway, I have the five year warranty and care package, so five years of AA cover, and they carry multifit spare wheels. I have had one slow puncture in the last decade or so.

https://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/news/aa-multi-fit-spare-wheel-saves-hours.html
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:38:05 PM by Skyrider »

Tags:

anything