Author Topic: Loss of power  (Read 1943 times)

PR1988

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Loss of power
« on: April 13, 2019, 11:06:14 AM »
Hey guys,

I am having a bit of a funny issue with my jazz. I’ve been searching around a bit but can’t seem to find people describing the same mix of issues/fault codes. I’ve seen threads of the same problem but with different fault codes and different MY.

So it’s a 2002 1.3 manual.
Start it up in the morning, runs fine. After about 15 mins or so of driving, I (most of the time but not always) feel a little splutter and the engine light comes on, lose all power in all gears and it splutters when trying to accelerate. (Feels like an old carby car starving for fuel)

If I switch the car off and back on again (even while I’m moving lol) the problem and engine light is gone for maybe 5 minutes and then it comes back, this keeps repeating once it has started, until cooled down.

Have checked fault codes, only code I’m getting is - P0171 B1S1 lean code. Have tried replacing the sensor, no good. Have checked fuel pressure before and after then engine was running bad. Same result, around 35-40psi.

I know egr valves are an issue with these cars but the symptoms don’t seem to line up with egr issues.

Anyone else come across this problem accompanied by this code?

PR1988

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Re: Loss of power
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 11:11:41 AM »
Also, with engine light on and no power. Still revs fine in neutral

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 11:22:49 AM »
Could be a dodgy ignition coil, has it done a lot of miles.

stu1690

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz 1.4l
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 11:31:46 AM »
It could be any number of things from a dodgy coil pack/spark plugs, failing oxygen sensors or failing catalytic converter.

I would buy yourself a cheap OBD2 reader. The bluetooth one's are under £5 and use a free app on your phone to get the codes when the EML light comes on when the car starts stuttering. Just type the code you get from the app on your phone into google and it will tell you whats wrong.

I have used one for my Honda Civic Type R a few times and it has saved me a packet instead of taking it to the dealership to diagnose.

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 08:45:23 AM »
He's checked the codes!!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 11:34:59 AM »
Sounds like a poor spark. When the engine is under load, more fuel goes in and it shows up a weak spark. As it's fine when it's cold, I would also plump for an ignition coil.

P0171 is probably because of incomplete combustion, pity you're not getting a cylinder specific misfire code. Normally, you would try disconnecting the plug leads or coils in turn, see if you can find one which doesn't make the misfire worse, but the twin sparkplug arrangement on the Jazz makes it tricky to work out what's going on... and probably the reason it's idling okay.

Check the plugs, see if you can narrow it down to a cylinder by the plug colour.

You might have to resort to substituting the coils in turn.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 11:37:30 AM by sparky Paul »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 08:53:08 PM »
So it’s a 2002 1.3 manual.
Start it up in the morning, runs fine. After about 15 mins or so of driving, I (most of the time but not always) feel a little splutter and the engine light comes on, lose all power in all gears and it splutters when trying to accelerate. (Feels like an old carby car starving for fuel)
If it's a 2002 Jazz with the DSI (Dual Spark Ignition) engine, when were the back four spark plugs last changed? Many mechanics don't know they are there! And if the plugs haven't been changed for a long time then the coils might be suffering.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: