Author Topic: Oil change vacuum pumps  (Read 2330 times)

bobby boy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.2S
Oil change vacuum pumps
« on: April 04, 2019, 04:02:04 PM »
Anyone had experience of using these on their jazz,thinking of the Pela  6.5 litre model. Always wary off stripping threads on alloy sumps, if changing oil traditional way.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Re: Oil change vacuum pumps
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 12:56:17 AM »
I bought one last year and it worked a treat!

We do many short trips, so i like fresh oil twice a year. I change the oil with the pump in spring and in October the oil + filter is changed by the garage the other (normal) way.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 08:48:47 AM »
I've got the 6.5 litre one, exactly the same as the Pela, it is available badged under different brand names. It's very robust and has served me well for many years.

These don't work on every car, I couldn't use it on the old Ford Galaxy we had because of the baffles and balancer shafts in the sump, but it works a treat on the Jazz. Most modern cars are designed to have the oil extracted in this way, the lowest point of the sump is below the dipstick. The fresh oil is hardly tainted by the residue, and stays nice and clean.

I used to drop the oil though the bottom of the sump every 3 or 4 changes, just to make sure there was nothing in there, but I don't think it's necessary at all. Just get the oil hot before starting work, and pump it out as soon as you switch the engine off.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 08:55:24 AM »
Just make sure you get rid of the old oil responsibly. No pouring it down the nearest drain!

bobby boy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 AM »
Thanks for your replies,will get one ordered. Always take old oil to recycling centre.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 02:53:22 AM »
I take all my old oil to my MOT man, he's got a licensed waste oil burner to heat the whole workshop.

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 04:23:06 PM »
I can see the vac pump will be ok but , what about the filter, you still need to get under the car to remove the under tray, its a pain in the bum to do, there should be a small cover to remove so you can get to the filter with out removing the rest of the tray.

Plasma.

bobby boy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 04:51:56 PM »
Hope to change filter from above if not too tight. I have long arms, just hope my hand grip is up to it.

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 06:21:12 PM »
Hope to change filter from above if not too tight. I have long arms, just hope my hand grip is up to it.

If you do that ,you will have oil running out of the filter all over the engine and in to the under tray.

Plasma.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 06:57:18 PM »

If you do that ,you will have oil running out of the filter all over the engine and in to the under tray.

Plasma.

Yup, there is a surprising amount of oil left in the filter that does not drain back to sump, some vehicles have 2 amounts of oil requirements for an oil change, a full amount if you change the filter and an amount about 300 or more ml less if you don't change filter.

The filter on my Civic is horrible to change - as well as removing about 7 screws to get the large undertray off, the filter itself is almost vertical and hidden in a 'tunnel' with only a bit of the end visible so much so I has to buy one of those 14 sided cups that fit on an 1/2" square socket wrench.  But it is not just the oil in the filter the internal pipe leading to filter is still full of oil,  what I have to do is slightly slacken the filter ( just so I know I can remove it fully ) and then either bash a hole in the end with a hammer and screwdriver or drill a hole to drain the oil from the filter and the pipe above,  its no good just leaving the filter intact because there are a few 100ml still in the pipe above filter that drains all over your arm even if you keep filter upright...

You are also supposed to wipe the filter sealing face on the engine block to clean it thoroughly before oiling the face of the seal with fresh oil and screwing it on,  any dirt trapped under seal can cause oil leak.  Filter hand tight + 1/4 turn only otherwise it can leak as well as it distorts the seal too much.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:29:57 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 08:37:41 PM »
IMHO it is worth using vacuum pump just to avoid keep unscrewing the sump plug, I will still get car up on ramps to change filter and have  good look underneath and maybe spray some anti corrosion stuff around underneath ( wynns clear motorcycle chain lube, which goes on thin but soon the carrier evaporates and leaves a tenacious film behind on threads and bushes - it is rubber friendly so won't attack bushes and engine mounts ).

Having a look under car when you are doing other work can spot potential problems and do a bit of preventative maintenance..

I got a vacuum pump about six months ago, not used it for oil yet but came in useful for other stuff so far..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 08:50:17 AM »
I got a vacuum pump about six months ago, not used it for oil yet but came in useful for other stuff so far..

That's where my petrol went :o.

Tags:

anything