Author Topic: First Mile in the morning with Jazz CVT  (Read 3383 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: First Mile in the morning with Jazz CVT
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 01:27:03 PM »
If i had wanted a Manual gearbox, then i would have brought one, not that half hearted attempt at automating a manual box.
Kenneve is not saying that the paddles make it a manual box but that if you want to do the gear changing yourself you're better of with a manual transmission.
Manual gearboxes that have been modified to try and make them automatic have been around for ever (Ford in the UK had them back in the 50's), but they have never been particularly successful. As a lover of automatics I can not see past the well tried, tested, and loved, hydraulic auto box.

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 02:12:35 PM »
'If you want to do gear changing by yourself you are better off with a manual'

I do not want to push the clutch peddle up and down and move the gear lever in and out, i do not want to 'hold it on the clutch' I want all the bite and(no lag) of a manual without the peddles and gear stick, the I-shift gives me all that.
Instant bite,no drag, no clutch peddle, no gear lever and great to drive.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 05:12:50 PM »
All you who like the cvt are probably old duffers that just drive in auto all day.

There you go again, with the 'Old Duffers', I guess you will be old one day, if you live long enough with your style of driving ;D

I do not want to push the clutch peddle up and down and move the gear lever in and out, i do not want to 'hold it on the clutch' I want all the bite and(no lag) of a manual without the peddles and gear stick, the I-shift gives me all that.
Instant bite,no drag, no clutch peddle, no gear lever and great to drive.

If that's what you want, then get a CVT, it does all of that, without all the jerkiness of automated changes on a Manual gearbox, Like 'Jocko' says, that style of gearbox has been around since the 50's, time to move on.
I think you and I must have been driving different versions of the I-shift ;D

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2019, 07:35:10 PM »
I have driven a CVT many times. I prefer the I-shift. Please understand I NEVER drive either in AUTO, always use the steering wheel paddles.

Both cars are poor in Auto, imo.

I think we will call an end to this conversation as this discussion could go on for ever.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2019, 08:37:11 PM »
Amen to that!

evijaymohan

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 Jazz ES CVT7
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2019, 08:40:57 PM »
Thanks all for the contributions.

Before we end the discussion, Is it good enough to assume that the cold start would always be with high rpm in MK2 CVT ?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2019, 09:02:36 PM »
I have driven a CVT many times. I prefer the I-shift. Please understand I NEVER drive either in AUTO, always use the steering wheel paddles.

Both cars are poor in Auto, imo.

I think we will call an end to this conversation as this discussion could go on for ever.

Here you go coffee up, you are in good company preferring semi-automatic paddle change,  according to this article it is preferred for high end and performance applications.....fill your boots.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_transmission

I have driven conventional automatics and CVT and the only reason I would buy either is if vast majority of my driving was in city traffic, but as I live in the country I'll stick with manual,  never driven an I-shift but I am sure I would like it..as I prefer simplicity over complication any day.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2019, 09:20:46 PM »
I would buy either is if vast majority of my driving was in city traffic, but as I live in the country I'll stick with manual
I was of the same opinion, then back in 1990 I bought an automatic Vauxhall Carlton. Not really through choice, but I needed a reliable car and my brother was parting with his. I knew its history and the price was good so got it. I had it for seven years and fell in love with the automatic, for all driving conditions. He then offered me his automatic Vauxhall Cavalier and that gave me nine faithful years. I then bought an automatic Volvo S40 and the love affair with automatics continued. After nine years with that I downsized to the Jazz. If a CVT had been available, locally and at a similar price to what I paid, I may have got it. Now that I drive a manual I put up with it, but would swap for a hydraulic automatic at the drop of a hat. My brother has an automatic BMW 320D, and if I get the chance of that, when he replaces it, I will jump at it.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2019, 09:44:39 AM »
Thanks all for the contributions.

Before we end the discussion, Is it good enough to assume that the cold start would always be with high rpm in MK2 CVT ?

All cars have an engine temperature sensor which measures coolant and if cold, assumes starting up so richer mixture and higher idle speed.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2019, 10:13:59 AM »
I would buy either is if vast majority of my driving was in city traffic, but as I live in the country I'll stick with manual
I was of the same opinion, then back in 1990 I bought an automatic Vauxhall Carlton. Not really through choice, but I needed a reliable car and my brother was parting with his. I knew its history and the price was good so got it. I had it for seven years and fell in love with the automatic, for all driving conditions. He then offered me his automatic Vauxhall Cavalier and that gave me nine faithful years. I then bought an automatic Volvo S40 and the love affair with automatics continued. After nine years with that I downsized to the Jazz. If a CVT had been available, locally and at a similar price to what I paid, I may have got it. Now that I drive a manual I put up with it, but would swap for a hydraulic automatic at the drop of a hat. My brother has an automatic BMW 320D, and if I get the chance of that, when he replaces it, I will jump at it.

I now buy manual cars for the same reason I would not buy an automatic motorbike, I like to change gear when I want to and not rely on some preset map(s) dreamed up by some software nerd.  The other reason is that despite doing big mileages in my cars I have never had to replace a clutch or have gearbox looked at ( except for a Vauxhall Viva clutch - and that clutch was on the way out when I bought it,  I swore then never to get involved with a Vauxhall again and I never have, I had a Ford Sierra straight after the Viva and I thought I had died and gone to heaven after driving the probelematic and under-powered Vauxhall lump ).  I drove conventional automatics overseas for about 10 years and my wife had a CVT in UK.  People complain about cost of having a manual gearbox fixed,  but for a CVT you can multiply the figure by at least 5..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: