Author Topic: Seriously considering moving on.  (Read 8371 times)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Re: Seriously considering moving on.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 08:29:58 AM »
The noise never bothers me when we first set out, it is just as we near home after a long day it gets a bit wearing.

I recognise the feeling from when I first got my Jazz. Honestly the trick with rubber washers on the front struts fixed it for under a fiver.

Also you seem to have such a gem of a Jazz for economy I'd be reluctant to let it go.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 11:00:56 AM »
Hi Jocko
I have to say, with the greatest respect, your car is around 13 years old and the Jazz has moved on a mile since then.
Whilst I have no experience of the Mk1 Jazz, my previous Mk2 and the current Mk3 are as quiet as most other cars.
I regularly drive up to my daughters, a 240 mile round trip in a day, without any undue stress.
I even done circa 400 miles in a day from Birmingham up to Fort William without any problem.

My motoring history is basically Rover/Landrover having worked for them 44 years, driving anything from Rangerovers, Discovery, Rover 200/400 to Metros and I have say the Jazz is no more tiring than any of them, certainly a lot less than Metros!
Tyre noise is vey much subjective, currently I'm on Dunlop SP 2020 and can't say I find them particularly objectionable.

I think moving to diesel would be a backward step, you know from our previous posts that my Mpg is very similar to yours, and of reliability is second to non, so I would certainly stay with Jazz.
I hope it all goes well for you.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 12:25:12 PM »
I think a lot is just to do with where we are at at the moment. We are both worn out and the least little thing is an irritation. We have just been to see the Endocrinologist this morning and she has pencilled my wife in for two more scans, between now and her op in just under a fortnight! This last month she has had more pictures taken than the Taj Mahal.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 12:33:19 PM »
Engine noise is not a great issue, it is more tyre and road noise.

So sorry to hear about your good lady wife Jocko, you both have my best wishes. I know how tiring it gets, we have just had the father in law in hospital for 6 months, and even small problems can soon get top side of you. 

I took the Jazz for the test this morning, to be honest I find it pretty quiet and refined for what it is. The only problems I have with it is the short suspension travel on these crappy potholed roads around here, and the engine revs at motorway speeds - although it still sounds like a sewing machine at idle, with 167K on the clock.

Some of these modern diesels are very good indeed. I swapped our number one car for a large diesel estate, after driving a petrol Ford Galaxy for many years. According to the fibometer, it's averaging over 56mpg, and the road tax is £30. That's saving me around £1500 a year in fuel and tax over the old bus. It's very comfortable and refined, and just eats the miles up, and with 160bhp, it goes well too.

As for the Honda 2.2 diesel, I think they do have their problems, but they are supposed to drive well. Not the most economical small diesels, 45-50mpg in the Civic apparently. Cracked exhaust manifolds and DMF and clutch problems seem to crop up on a regular basis, as well as some timing chain failures. Make sure the service history is good, and look out for DMF problems - shaking at idle, and rattling on standing revs.

The 1.7 diesel in the older Civic was a bullet-proof Isuzu unit.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 12:50:49 PM »
All the best with the scans and the forthcoming op for Mrs Jocko.

jaytee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 12:56:59 PM »
hi jocko i enjoy your posts and hope that things get a little easier for you and family in future. just to add to the debate we are a2 jazz household mk 1 and 2 . i enjoy my mk1 but for a trip of more a few miles its got to be the mk2 for comfort and that extra bit of power makes a difference on the motorway.stay with the jazz ! i am sure im not the only one who would miss your posts.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2019, 04:32:36 PM »
Had a look at a Honda Civic 1.7 CTDi SE. The old style, 2005. No great leap from the Jazz so I doubt I will go down that route. Today I was just driving the Jazz in town, and only a few miles at that. Cannot fault it in that environment. Tomorrow it is back to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and Western General, so that will be a long day. I'll try not to be too critical of it!

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2019, 06:54:27 PM »
Jocko. Hate to say this but the Frogs have always made cars that are generally good on rough road comfort, if you can get them to start, that is....
The only French car I have ever owned was a Peugeot 504. It was supremely comfortable but falling to bits and rusting away. It is the only car I have ever owned with a rusty dip stick! Really.

You must have had a goodun. I think the old joke about woodworm applies. It's the rust that holds them together. Stay strong on the health front.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2019, 07:01:45 PM »
Hi Jocko
I have to say, with the greatest respect, your car is around 13 years old and the Jazz has moved on a mile since then.
Whilst I have no experience of the Mk1 Jazz, my previous Mk2 and the current Mk3 are as quiet as most other cars.
I regularly drive up to my daughters, a 240 mile round trip in a day, without any undue stress.
I even done circa 400 miles in a day from Birmingham up to Fort William without any problem.

My motoring history is basically Rover/Landrover having worked for them 44 years, driving anything from Rangerovers, Discovery, Rover 200/400 to Metros and I have say the Jazz is no more tiring than any of them, certainly a lot less than Metros!
Tyre noise is vey much subjective, currently I'm on Dunlop SP 2020 and can't say I find them particularly objectionable.

I think moving to diesel would be a backward step, you know from our previous posts that my Mpg is very similar to yours, and of reliability is second to non, so I would certainly stay with Jazz.
I hope it all goes well for you.

I have had diesels and I loved them but the modern ones are a potential headache. Let's not forget about the DPF that is waiting to be replaced at some point in the future and they are not cheap by all accounts.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2019, 07:36:26 PM »
I wouldn't be looking at a newer one. Just something with a year's MOT to get me through the next 12 months. I still hope to go EV in the not too distant future.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2019, 07:38:26 PM »
I have had diesels and I loved them but the modern ones are a potential headache. Let's not forget about the DPF that is waiting to be replaced at some point in the future and they are not cheap by all accounts.

It's a fair point, there's a lot to go wrong on modern diesels. It's just the temptation of fuel economy and cheap road tax.

As well as the DPFs, you also have potential for the disaster with the injector pumps on direct injection, and injector seal problems, which on the small Peugeots can then lead on to oil contamination and subsequent turbo and crank failures.

I was a bit worried the DPF and failed regens when we got the diesel last year. I don't do that many long journeys and there are no motorways around here to give it a regular blow out. I've monitoring the soot levels periodically in the DPF with the diagnostic tool, and so far it's been okay - it seems to be handling regens okay on the driving I do.

If the DPF ever bungs up, it will be getting the pressure washer up it!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2019, 07:42:02 PM »
Halfords do a DPF Deep Clean for £85.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2019, 07:59:47 PM »

The trouble with a blocked DPF is the other problems it can cause. The car burns the soof off the DPF by injecting diesel on the exhaust stroke, and any back pressure from a semi-blocked DPF forces the unburnt diesel into the sump oil. On the other car we have, this can cause a known issue with that particular engine where an oil sump pickup pipe seal hardens due to the diesel in the oil, and subsequent loss of oil pressure and crank failure.

A lot of DPF problems are caused by failed regens, when the exhaust never gets sufficiently hot for the car to burn the soot off. Lots of short journeys does them no good at all. I bit the bullet, and it seems to be working out so far - a big comfortable estate car that's actually cheaper to run and tax than the Jazz is.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2019, 09:02:02 PM »

The trouble with a blocked DPF is the other problems it can cause. The car burns the soof off the DPF by injecting diesel on the exhaust stroke, and any back pressure from a semi-blocked DPF forces the unburnt diesel into the sump oil. On the other car we have, this can cause a known issue with that particular engine where an oil sump pickup pipe seal hardens due to the diesel in the oil, and subsequent loss of oil pressure and crank failure.

A lot of DPF problems are caused by failed regens, when the exhaust never gets sufficiently hot for the car to burn the soot off. Lots of short journeys does them no good at all. I bit the bullet, and it seems to be working out so far - a big comfortable estate car that's actually cheaper to run and tax than the Jazz is.

I learned to drive on a tractor so diesels were really just a short step in that direction. I think we are all aware about the NOX and carcinogenic issues. It is a pity. Heat engineering, coupled with a turbo is efficient and works well. I always found diesels to be relaxing to drive with that mid range poke in just the right part of the power band to be useful for everyday driving. Took me a while to get used to the Jazz with that little egg beater under the bonnet. No complaints though. It's a sweet little egg beater though I do find myself tempted by one of these for those occasional flirtations with the Devil.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:04:53 PM by MartinJG »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2019, 10:00:05 PM »
I drove diesel vans for a while and I found them excellent, especially the Citroen Berlingo. Maybe I should look for one of them, they are cheap enough?

Tags:

anything