Author Topic: 2006 Jazz Sport Heavy Steering No Return to Centre  (Read 4148 times)

JazzyJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 EX
2006 Jazz Sport Heavy Steering No Return to Centre
« on: June 03, 2019, 06:19:33 PM »
Hi All. Just acquired a 2006 Jazz Sport, 104K on the clock, new MOT and lots of receipts. Drives great with no issues EXCEPT, I have noticed today, especially whilst driving at 70mph in a straight line on the motorway, the steering is very notchy/heavy when making slight adjustments. I've also noticed that at low speeds (and at high I guess) the steering wheel doesn't naturally return to the central position after turning. Is this a feature of the Jazz Sport or something I should be concerned with? Everything else is fine steering wise, no clunks, knocks, whirring, etc.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: 2006 Jazz Sport Heavy Steering No Return to Centre
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 06:34:03 PM »
First thing to check are your tyre pressures. If they are okay I would suggest getting the tracking checked. If that is okay then you may want to think about the battery. The power steering is electric and there have been numerous "strange" behaviour stemming from a battery that is past its best.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 06:39:54 PM »
First thing to check are your tyre pressures. If they are okay I would suggest getting the tracking checked. If that is okay then you may want to think about the battery. The power steering is electric and there have been numerous "strange" behaviour stemming from a battery that is past its best.

+1 for battery,  EPS draws a lot of current...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 06:53:45 PM »
Aaaargh...

...not the notchy steering problem. It's a fairly common issue, you might want to have a search of the forum as there are multiple threads about it on here.

You have to work out whether the problem is the normal lifeless power steering of the Jazz, or the notchy, sticky steering feel that afflicts some cars. When I had this problem, I can remember being told that they were all like that, and it was a characteristic of the car, but I can assure you that it is not normal - ours is absolutely fine now. It's still fairly lifeless and weak to centre, but there is none of the notchy, rubbery feel that developed after a few miles driving.

There are some things that you need to check as Jocko says, including front wheel alignment, battery, tyre pressures, etc., but the problem is sometimes a fault in the rack - and conventional thinking says that you have to either live with it, or spend £££ on a new rack. I had this problem with ours, and cured it entirely by accident - and I'm still not absolutely sure how.

Have a read here.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10475.0

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10179.0

Lots more if you punch 'notchy steering' into the search box.

JazzyJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 07:28:08 PM »
Is there a definitive DIY way of determining if it’s just ‘normal’ Jazz steering or something more sinister? If it is the sinister form of steering, is it dangerous or just annoying?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 07:37:28 PM »
I believe it is just annoying. My steering feels notchy at times but I just live with it. Feel it on smooth straight motorway and a couple of fast bends where the curvature changes as you go round. I just adapted to it.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 08:09:12 PM »
Ours was terrible, and I found it extremely annoying. I would find myself weaving down straight roads as small corrections to the steering wouldn't move the wheel until the stickiness 'gave way'.

It's fine now, with no hint of the notchiness at all.

JazzyJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 08:12:47 PM »
What fixed yours sparky Paul?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 08:34:13 PM »
What fixed yours

I'm not certain what fixed it to be honest, but a year on and it's been fine ever since. Have a read of the thread here

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10179.0

I'm not sure what exactly, but I must have disturbed something. Others have had replacement racks under warranty.

JazzyJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 08:43:52 PM »
Just read the post you mentioned. Great it was fixed but no real reason. When people are mentioning a known issue with the steering rack that Honda have admitted to, any idea what was wrong with the original design? Honda must know what the issue was? I guess the most important question to ask is... is the car safe to drive?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 09:08:17 PM »
I don't think Honda have ever admitted a 'known problem', but some members here have had new racks fitted. It's certainly been a known issue on here.

As for whether it's safe, I think that it's more an irritation than anything. Once I realised it was doing it, it just bugged me. I can't remember anybody else thinking it was dangerous, or of the steering failing or losing power assistance suddenly, but you need to use your own judgement - after all, posters on here can't tell how bad it is.

It would be interesting to know if the problem with your Jazz is less evident in the morning when everything is cold. I found that ours was usually fine when the car had been standing and the engine bay was cold, and gradually got worse as the everything warmed up - usually around 10 miles or so.

Try it first thing tomorrow, taking note of the steering feel.

You need to decide if it is that notchy, rubbery feel, and the feeling of actual resistance to the wheel turning, or if it's just dead around the centre - that could be as simple as too much toe-out on the front wheels.

As for mine, I can only think that the thumping it had to remove the old wheel from the spline disturbed something - maybe moving the shaft upwards out of the rack, or disturbing the EPS motor brushes? I really don't know, as it was completely accidental. If the problem returned, I would do the same again - thump the steering wheel from the dash side with a soft hammer, see what happens.

JazzyJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 09:26:53 PM »
I shall monitor it tomorrow and update!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 09:38:05 PM »
Just read the post you mentioned. Great it was fixed but no real reason. When people are mentioning a known issue with the steering rack that Honda have admitted to, any idea what was wrong with the original design? Honda must know what the issue was? I guess the most important question to ask is... is the car safe to drive?

Honda were one of the first adopters of EPS so you may expect a few niggles on MK1 Jazz,  they did uprate the motor on MK2, but the downside is it draws more power.... ( about 40 amps IIRC ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JazzyJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 05:15:31 PM »
So here's the update. Steering appears to be normal when first started and when driving around town (no matter for how long I drive) except that it doesn't return to centre. However, on the motorway when driving in a straight line for extended periods the steering feels 'notchy' ie it will take a noticeable amount of force (though slight) to turn the wheel and it feels as if it's turning in very small steps if moved slowly. Any ideas if 'normal'?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 05:27:01 PM »
That is pretty much how mine feels.

Tags:

anything