Author Topic: Problem with rear boot latch mechanism (2005 GD Sport)  (Read 2428 times)

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
Problem with rear boot latch mechanism (2005 GD Sport)
« on: June 02, 2019, 11:00:14 AM »
Hi All,

I know this is topic that has been discussed quite a few times on this forum but it seems I may have a different problem to others.

We've been having problems with our rear boot lock latch mechanism intermittently for a little while now but it's getting worse so I thought I'd try and fix it myself. Having read a lot of the posts on this forum it seems the problem I am experiencing is not quite the same as what others have had.

Basically, when I try to open the boot door, the latch seems to just click. It feels like there is something inside that is slipping/not quite catching onto the rest of the mechnism to release the lock.

I have managed to remove the trim and can see that when I pull the lever, the steel cable does indeed move. So it seems the problem is not with the lever but with the latch mechnism. I've tried to spray lubricant as well as WD40 in the mechanism to no avail. So I try to remove the mechanism but it won't come out. I removed the front 3 bolts but there seems to be something else catching. Also the hole in the chassis seems too small for the mechanism (white box) to come out from.

Would be very grateful for any advice on this!  :)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Problem with rear boot latch mechanism (2005 GD Sport)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 04:18:29 PM »
If the mechanism click but won't open it is the little plastic lever just above the number plate not returning to its fully forward position after being pulled backwards to open the boot, corrosion of the bracket holding it stops the spring returning it to fully forward. I messed with the mechanism inside the tailgate for ages and no joy, then it clicked that when the plastic lever was not fully forward and locks were operated something did not line up in the tailgate lock and the lever was not connected properly to release the tailgate lock...  make sure plastic lever is pushed FULLY FORWARD and then lock and unlock the door locks with fob or key on drivers door.

The lever does indeed move the cable but it is when the lower end of the cable is out of position when all the locks are released by central locking ( due to plastic operating lever not returning to fully forward position, and it is only a few mm ) that does not latch into system properly and lever will not operate the unlock function of tailgate.

This is the only problem I have had with locks on both MK1 and MK2 Jazz, and until I solved the sticking external plastic lever I could not even unlock tailgate by removing plastic bung inside tailgate and moving lever inside car with a screwdriver.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 05:07:23 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 10:49:08 PM »
Thanks for your advice much appreciated, but I don't think it's the plastic lever under the number plate as that all seems to be working fine.

I had another go today and managed to get the whole mechanism out this time - Honda really couldn't have made the access hole in the chassis any tighter! :'(

I managed to open everything up and simulated the cable release which seemed fine but I was trying to find out what the clicking noise was and it turned out to be a plastic dowel (red arrow) that's meant to slide into a metal bracket recess (blue arrow) to allow the lock to catch another metal lever as you open the boot lock. The plastic dowel is moved into the metal bracket by an electric motor. It seems the dowel is not sliding fully in (only about halfway) and so it's not engaging properly. Hence it pops back out when you try to release the boot lock.

I haven't worked out how to fix this yet, but it seems either the motor is not strong enough (possibly dirt build up causing friction) or the mechanism has loosened too much over time (the plastic parts do seems a little loose).

I guess the easiest way is to replace the whole mechnism/motor but I'm hoping to find a solution without having replace it. The motor box seems to be glued shut, I really wanted to have a look inside to see if there's anything I can do to improve it. Has anyone successfully opened this?

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 11:09:50 PM »
I've managed to change the whole boot lock mechanism now and it seems to be opening fine now but I've run into another problem. The used lock mechanism I bought off ebay seems to have caused the boot light not to work.

It seems the car doesn't know when the boot door is open. This also causes the alarm to sound when the boot is open which is really annoying.

Could it be a sensor or something with the replacement lock mechanism that's faulty? Or do I need to reset the electronics or do something for the car to accept the new part?  Any ideas?

Scotty

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2005
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 12:04:42 PM »
Hi
New to forum.
Recently bought a honda jazz 2005 great car but problems with the locks. I have kind of fixed the drivers door but now want to tackle the boot lock. How easy is it to remove the mechanism?
Regards
Scotty

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 01:56:27 PM »
I would first try the techniques you will find here on a few threads. The best way to describe it is that you push the moving part of the boot lock forward as you unlock and then you will find it frees up. Once you have it open, get some lubrication on it and you should be golden. Just search for better descriptions in other posts here. It has sorted my 2005 SE.

Tags:

anything