Author Topic: Alternator - loose connection  (Read 899 times)

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Alternator - loose connection
« on: May 28, 2019, 11:56:37 PM »
Started the Jazz this morning after not using the car for 3 day's and it started but the battery seemed low, not it's usual self. However drove to work and I have a battery condition indicator plugged into the power socket and it was reading 'half' normally when the engine is running it shows 'full', which lead me to think the alternator is maybe not charging. This cycle of showing half and full varied during the journey.

There are no warning lights on the dash either so when finally got to work I popped open the bonnet to have a quick look under and belt seemed fine as well as connections.

On the return leg of my trip home I started up and the Jazz fired up as normal not like first thing. But I decided to keep an eye on that battery indicator and it was sometimes showing full and other times half. But one thing I did notice was that the change from full to half and vice-versa was when the car felt a bump in the road. So like me your thinking a loose connection somewhere. But where?

When I got home I put a voltmeter across the battery and it read 12.7 volts, fired up the engine and it shows just over 14 volts so the battery and charging seem ok. The battery connections are nice n tight. The connectors on the alternator I can see but getting to them not so. Plus the engine is a bit on the hot side. Not sure I could check them even if the engine was cold. The space is so tight.

Anyone with any thoughts before I reluctantly send it to a garage?

marcel

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2004
Re: Alternator - loose connection
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 05:46:59 AM »
It's worth checking the tightness of the auxiliary belt first. It could be a bit on the loose side and not making permanent contact with the alternator especially when going over bumps. There could be some occasional slipping of the belt whenever there are such sudden movements.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 05:56:41 AM by marcel »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Alternator - loose connection
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 02:25:35 PM »
Take a look at the earth mounting point, as well as the terminals.

Tags: