Author Topic: 1.5 Sport  (Read 7930 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: 1.5 Sport
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2021, 02:34:06 PM »
its got a direct injection engine so may carbon up on the intake valves at higher mileages

also the top speed is the same as the 1.3 even though the 0-60 is quicker

the engine is still used in the mk4 hybrid but is de tuned to 108hp from 130hp
What can be done about the carbon build up? Higher octane fuel, V-Power etc and regular servicing?

Top speed is of no concern, I'm not going to be doing more than NSL +10% again.  :D

I have read that tyre noise on the motorway is a bit louder than the standard model. I guess a test drive is the best way to determine that. Not many on the market though.

not much can be done about the carbon buildup , if you get it you will need the garage to clean it out  as the fuel never passes behind the intake valves as on the 1.3 and keeps them clean

Yeah, dirty valves seems to be a feature of direct injection engines ( even German ones  :o ), no matter how they are driven.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2021, 03:29:08 PM »
not much can be done about the carbon buildup
What I once saw recommended was to spray water into the intake at regular intervals. As soon as it reaches the valve area it turns to steam, and effectively "steam cleans" the surfaces.
I've done, it a long time ago, with carburettor engines, where I would up the revs and slowly spoon a glass of water through the carb. Never knew how effective it was but it never did any harm. Found this reference on line.

David Andruczyk, Volunteer Mechanic at National Warplane Museum (2008-present)

That’s an old-time trick to clean the cylinders of carbon ‘in the old days’. For a good and hot engine, an appropriate quantity of water ingested while running at a suitably high enough RPM will flash to steam and effectively steam-clean the cylinders. Too much and you’ll stall it, way too much and you risk hydrolocking it as water doesn’t compress and causing severe engine damage (bent/broken connecting rods). Small amounts won’t do anything noticeable at all.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 04:09:07 PM »
You got me worried. :o However, my Crosstar has an LEB8 engine and this site https://carparts24.co.uk/spare-parts/honda/jazz-v/1.5-ehev-gr3-72kw says "Fuel type process Intake Manifold Injection/ Carburettor" which I think means port injection. Wikipedia lists a family of LEB engines https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_L_engine#LEB8_(i-VTEC_+_Sport_Hybrid_%E2%80%9Ci-MMD%E2%80%9D_(Intelligent_Multi_Mode_Drive)). Whatever went into the Mk 4 Jazz would have been selected for economy and reliability.

Also, the engine in the Mk 4 Jazz is rated at 98HP while the motor is capable of the 108HP (presumably with the engine working hard and some extra power from the battery).

2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2021, 04:12:09 PM »
its got a direct injection engine so may carbon up on the intake valves at higher mileages

What can be done about the carbon build up? Higher octane fuel, V-Power etc and regular servicing?

Top speed is of no concern, I'm not going to be doing more than NSL +10% again.  :D

I have read that tyre noise on the motorway is a bit louder than the standard model. I guess a test drive is the best way to determine that. Not many on the market though.

With the carbon build up, there is some evidence that v-power fuel does help to reduce this although you may have to use it continuously to get the benefit. My 135i has been running v-power since new and other owners claim it does help with carbon build-up although it won't eliminate it. In the US they generally use additives that you put into the engine/fuel that claims to clean it out - this will be the option we'll be going for when the time comes otherwise it will be a walnut blast which is expensive.

Tyre noise is partly to do with the tyre (e.g. stiff side walls will be noiser... ) but a large part of it is to do with the cars sound insulation and deadening. As the Jazz is built to a budget it lacks sound insulation, especially inside the wheel arches and bulkhead. If this is something that concerns you, you can have sound insulation retrofitted which will make a considerable difference but also adds weight to the car. I tried to do this myself in my old civic type-r and it definitely made a difference.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2021, 04:24:04 PM »

With the carbon build up, there is some evidence that v-power fuel does help to reduce this although you may have to use it continuously to get the benefit. My 135i has been running v-power since new and other owners claim it does help with carbon build-up although it won't eliminate it. In the US they generally use additives that you put into the engine/fuel that claims to clean it out - this will be the option we'll be going for when the time comes otherwise it will be a walnut blast which is expensive.

Tyre noise is partly to do with the tyre (e.g. stiff side walls will be noiser... ) but a large part of it is to do with the cars sound insulation and deadening. As the Jazz is built to a budget it lacks sound insulation, especially inside the wheel arches and bulkhead. If this is something that concerns you, you can have sound insulation retrofitted which will make a considerable difference but also adds weight to the car. I tried to do this myself in my old civic type-r and it definitely made a difference.

The fuel never goes near the inlet valves, so cannot really change anything.  As for the Jazz being built to a budget and lacking sound insulation the main 'budget' for vehicles is their weight and as you say sound deadening adds weight which is bad for MPG. With all the extra gizmos cars today are bigger and heavier than ever, this means getting better MPG is hard, and more money has to be spent on systems with ever diminishing effects..  Tyres are you best bet to reduce road noise,  but on some surfaces even the best tyres struggle to be quiet.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2021, 05:53:57 PM »
We ran an Octavia VRS for 3 yrs, and that had Dunlop Sportmaxx 225/40-18. Mrs W didn't mind the ride, and in fairness it was her car, but it got on my nerves. Sports suspension and big wheels aren't really my thing, athough the performance was fun when the mood takes you. The car had to run on high octane fuel, which at one point was nearly £1.70 a litre!

The Jazz Sport has a fair amount of power, and the wheels don't look that big. Only a test drive will confirm. We all have different ideas of what is ok and what's not. If its only a little more firm and noisy, then probably worth that for the extra shove.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2021, 06:10:57 AM »
I've had a 1.5 litre 130 hp Jazz Dynamic (sold as Sport in UK) for a year now. I like the performance, it's very lively from 3000 rpm to redline, but at the same time humble to cruise high gear at low speed. 8.7 seconds from 0 to 100 km/h is nice. I would call it at least warm hatch.

My biggest complaints besides the annoying nanny-state systems are sun reflection from dash to windscreen and uncomfortable seats and especially headrests forcing head too front. I know it's not safe, but I have my headrest turned around to allow more comfortable head position. But these are all valid to 1.3 litre models as well.

Regarding carbon buildup, people in US, where that same 1.5 litre 130 hp engine is the only option, there are credible opinions that the best and maybe the only way to avoid buildup is to use the performance regularly, i.e. accelerate often with full throttle and high rpm. Not any problem for me.

My typical fuel consumption per tankful is 5.5-6,2 l/100 km (43-38 mpg) depending on weather and usage. I do not try to drive economically.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2021, 10:44:12 AM »
I've had a 1.5 litre 130 hp Jazz Dynamic (sold as Sport in UK) for a year now. I like the performance, it's very lively from 3000 rpm to redline, but at the same time humble to cruise high gear at low speed. 8.7 seconds from 0 to 100 km/h is nice. I would call it at least warm hatch.

My biggest complaints besides the annoying nanny-state systems are sun reflection from dash to windscreen and uncomfortable seats and especially headrests forcing head too front. I know it's not safe, but I have my headrest turned around to allow more comfortable head position. But these are all valid to 1.3 litre models as well.

Regarding carbon buildup, people in US, where that same 1.5 litre 130 hp engine is the only option, there are credible opinions that the best and maybe the only way to avoid buildup is to use the performance regularly, i.e. accelerate often with full throttle and high rpm. Not any problem for me.

My typical fuel consumption per tankful is 5.5-6,2 l/100 km (43-38 mpg) depending on weather and usage. I do not try to drive economically.
Once warm, I always give my cars a decent bootful of throttle. Not full, but a good press. I also take them to at least 4000 rpm. So on that basis, maybe more time at high revs, the carbon build up will be reduced. Interesting thanks.  :D Having had bikes for years, revs don't concern me at all.

Re turning your headrest the other way round,  whilst probably not the best for protection from whiplash, it will be 1000% better than cars that never had any headrest !!

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2021, 12:07:53 PM »
Re turning your headrest the other way round,  whilst probably not the best for protection from whiplash, it will be 1000% better than cars that never had any headrest !!

Sure, yes. I would like to modify the tilt system to get it more straight, but I didn't find the way to get into the mechanism.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2021, 01:55:08 PM »
Sure, yes. I would like to modify the tilt system to get it more straight, but I didn't find the way to get into the mechanism.
This could help.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2021, 02:00:30 PM »
Not really, because it's rather padded.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2021, 07:43:15 AM »
5.5-6,2 l/100 km (43-38 mpg)

That's mpg US or 51 - 45 mpg UK so pretty good.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2021, 06:20:20 AM »
Oh, I didn't know there are different numbers for UK and US, and such big difference!

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2021, 07:43:53 AM »
Oh, I didn't know there are different numbers for UK and US, and such big difference!

We  have the long or imperial gallon in the UK,  the short gallon in the USA.

There is a significant difference in the two volumes.

10.00 imperial gallons =  12.00 US  gallons

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2021, 07:45:46 AM »

1 US gallon = 0.832674 imperial gallon

(Don’t you just love that “imperial”? I suppose that’ll have to go soon ...)

Tags: