Author Topic: Pay per mile  (Read 2417 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Pay per mile
« on: April 29, 2021, 03:14:16 PM »
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Pay per mile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 06:23:23 PM »
Great for the future. Would cripple me at the moment.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 06:37:05 PM »
I agree with the principle (£20 per 1000km won't break the bank) but not some of the details. For example, SUVs should be charged a lot more than smaller cars and the scheme could sensibly include congestion charging / road pricing. How will the charging be worked out? Someone checking the odometer once per year or by loads of cameras. How easy is it to "clock" a digital odometer?

I've long said that the gov't should abandon the freeze on fuel duty. An extra 3p or whatever in tax is small compared to the fluctuations in fuel price arising from imbalances in supply and demand but cumulatively could have enough impact to improve the economics of going electric. Using a public charger to charge a battery is about the same cost per mile than putting petrol into my Crosstar.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 07:01:04 PM »
Terrible idea. Fine if you've the money, not so good for NMW workers relying on their cars to keep the country going.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 07:08:17 PM »
Two methods of extracting money from road users already exist, the vehicle excise duty and fuel tax, fuel tax won't work so VED could be used. Why spend money on setting up a new system which successive governments are notoriously bad at.

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 07:10:35 PM »
Terrible idea. Fine if you've the money, not so good for NMW workers relying on their cars to keep the country going.
At the moment we pay by the mile in a roundabout way in that we pay tax on our petrol. The more you use the more you pay in tax. I wouldn't imagine we would be paying more, just those that don't currently buy petrol (EV drivers) will be paying for their driving. Should satisfy the EV haters. The pay by the mile will replace the other taxes we currently pay as drivers.
Putting the tax on VED is very unequal. The pensioner who uses his car to go shopping once a week is paying for the rep who clocks up hundreds of miles per week. Charging per miles means you pay for what you use.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 07:13:20 PM by Jocko »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 10:18:20 AM »
It's not just the move to EVs which will hit the gov't revenue. By now having a car which does 70mpg instead of 50mpg I'm paying 40% less fuel duty per mile. If everyone moved to hybrids with 20% better fuel economy than whatever vehicles were previously used then that has a big financial implication.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 11:50:20 AM »
Broadly I'm in favour but the transition to such a system would require a lot of thought. People who continue to drive ICE vehicles are effectively paying a form of charge per mile in fuel duty so to slap a per mile charge on top of that would be unfair especially to the less well off.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 01:00:56 PM »
How do we feel about pay per mile to coincide with the petrol/diesel ban ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-9521283/Per-mile-road-pricing-effective-way-plug-Treasurys-40bn-tax-hole.html

They will need a tamperproof way of recording mileage.. in each vehicle.  as it is impossible to monitor road usage by car...think of all the small side roads..

I foresee large scale fraud.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 01:27:21 PM »
How do we feel about pay per mile to coincide with the petrol/diesel ban ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-9521283/Per-mile-road-pricing-effective-way-plug-Treasurys-40bn-tax-hole.html

They will need a tamperproof way of recording mileage.. in each vehicle.  as it is impossible to monitor road usage by car...think of all the small side roads..

I foresee large scale fraud.

System will no doubt be GPS based because some roads will carry higher mileage rate.  Mileage will be recorded on one of those huge centralised databases that governments are so good at  :o

They will regularly be hacked and data will disappear ....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 02:00:33 PM »
What is wrong with the old system of road tax based on vehicle type, etc.

No expensive infrastructure required and they just bring EV cars into the equation. EV cars still need roads and road maintenance so should help pay for it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 02:19:12 PM »
What is wrong with the old system of road tax based on vehicle type, etc.

No expensive infrastructure required and they just bring EV cars into the equation. EV cars still need roads and road maintenance so should help pay for it.

It will partly be used to discourage traffic out of congested areas, roads in cities will be charged 10x rate per mile of country roads....  The fuel tax at the moment at least means those who use the most pay the most, VED is just a blunt instrument that takes no notice of mileage.  I have no doubt at all that the government already have a plan using chips in cars and smart meters to charge more for electricity used to charge vehicles - even at home.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 03:39:54 PM »
My plan is to get a MK4 and hold onto it for about 8 years, like my current Civic.

By 2030 I may not need a car and excessive road pricing would confirm it.

I just feel sorry for those who have to commute.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 06:00:04 PM »
Every time an EV is charged all the drivers journeys are logged then sold on the internet to the data hovering companies....
What a way to provide advertising fix via charge points.
Roll on small engines petrol/hydrogen vehicles.
Or better still old cars with petrol engines & turbochargers - hangon got one already

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 06:08:33 PM »
GPS is easily blocked so I don't see how that could be used. A sealed odometer would be the only way to go.

Tags:

anything