Author Topic: Air Filter Replacement - Is It Worth Buying A Genuine Honda Filter ?  (Read 3593 times)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
When I bought our Jazz last year, I had a look at the air filter and was happy it looked ok. After its oil & filter service and MOT this year, I decided to have another look at the air filter.

From the top (pic1), it looked ok to me. But when I lifted it out, the underside of the filter was very dirty, so I ordered a replacment.

Have a look at the new filter, Bosch. Really shows how dirty the old Honda filter was, but also shows how many more 'fins' the Honda filter has compared to the Bosch filter.

Now I've never been one for original parts, but having seen the differences in filters, maybe its worth buying original. Cox list the filter at £25.76, I paid £8.22 for the Bosch.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Air Filter Replacement - Is It Worth Buying A Genuine Honda Filter ?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 06:40:47 PM »
I have used both. I never noticed any difference other than in my wallet.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 08:29:27 PM »
Now I've never been one for original parts, but having seen the differences in filters, maybe its worth buying original. Cox list the filter at £25.76, I paid £8.22 for the Bosch.

Buy the Bosch and change it 3x as often as it is 1/3 the price you can change it every year - filters get an easy time in UK anyway compared to a lot of countries, except when that Sahara sand blows in..... ( coming later this week, so you car may look like it just took part in the Paris - Dhaka rally  :o ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 08:58:02 PM »
you can change it every year
My manual says clean it every 6,250 miles and replace it every 12,500 miles, which is every year for me anyway.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 09:58:43 AM »
My manual says clean it every 6,250 miles and replace it every 12,500 miles, which is every year for me anyway.

Most people don't even cover 6250 miles in a year.   I leave my oil filter in for 2 years these days,  when i used to replace it twice a year.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 10:45:55 AM »
I favour blueprint filters from authorised outlets.
The one benefit of the web is the choice ....

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 11:56:05 AM »

My service book says interval is 25,000 miles.

12,500 is for severe conditions.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 12:02:31 PM »
I buy Honds OE oil filters.. (cheap from http://www.tegiwaimports.com/). Change with oil every year..

I buy Blueprint/Bosch aiir filters. Change every 20k miles.

No point in spending too much money for the same task.

And I was edukated in Aberdeen  :o

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 12:05:51 PM »
They're cheap enough to replace often at c£8 each, but, the Bosch looks a lot less filter for the money.

It'll be fine for our Jazz. I'll take it out in 6 months and see what it looks like then.

Presumably with less filter the car will breath easier and I have unleashed another 0.03 BHP !!!  8) Exciting times!

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 12:11:10 PM »
As said in earlier posts, air filters get a fairly easy life in the UK, the air quality is pretty decent these days in all but the most congested traffic areas.
I've done air filter development in the long distant past. The filter life is based on an increase in pressure drop at given airflow rate, and in reality in the UK 25k miles is usually perfectly OK. The life DP increase is often taken as around 5"H2O in old money, or around 1.5% of atmospheric press. You can take that as roughly the decrease in max power if you wish, and you'd never notice 1.5%.
Air filters used to be paper fibre (cellulose) based, it was laid down in progressively finer layers so the dirty side was open fibres to catch big dust, then it got finer through to the clean side to catch smaller stuff. The clean side of the paper was usually marked with a stripe. The grading maximises the dust capacity for a given DP.
Modern filters are made from synthetic fibre but made with the same principle of graded pore size, the big difference being the much greater thickness for the material so more dust capacity generally and better life performance.
I'd be fairly relaxed about using any good branded filter, Bosch/Mahle/Mann etc from a known supplier, I'd avoid sourcing from anonymous fleabay sellers, there are loads of fake parts around and considering the relatively low cost and ease of sourcing from good known retailers then why bother.
The one thing I personally wouldn't use is one of the well known re-usable oiled type "performance" filters, basically they don't generally catch much fine dust once the oil disappears, and the oil can mess up MAF sensors.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 12:15:27 PM »
My service book says interval is 25,000 miles.

12,500 is for severe conditions.
I don't have my service book to hand, I just go by the spiel in the owner's manual, a copy of which I have on my laptop.

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 12:50:12 PM »
Yeah, in my service book it says every 25k. Strange how it's changed.

I note how small the air filter is. It's about half the size of most motors I've had.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 12:58:36 PM »
I don't have my service book to hand, I just go by the spiel in the owner's manual, a copy of which I have on my laptop.

Yes, I've got that chart in the handbook, but the page is headed "Maintenance Schedule (Except EU)" (no jokes please!). If you notice, it also says change the fuel filter every 50,000.

On the previous page, it says refer to the separate service information booklet that came with your vehicle. Anyway, that's what it states in the service book, every 25,000, or 12,500 for severe conditions. That's the interval on the check sheet that Honda dealers use too.

I fitted one of these last time, I can recommend them - much better quality than the one that came out - I don't remember the name on the one that came out, but it was a common factor brand.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omnicraft-Air-Filter-For-Honda-Jazz-Fit-1-3-iDSi-2133117/273374545034

Omnicraft are Ford's aftermarket brand, like Motorcraft of old.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 01:02:09 PM »
...I note how small the air filter is. It's about half the size of most motors I've had.
That tends to reflect the improved performance characteristics (flow/DP/dust capacity) of modern synthetic filter medium.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 01:16:47 PM »

so you car may look like it just took part in the Paris - Dhaka rally  :o ).

I knew there was a Paris to Dakar (Senegal) rally but I never knew there was also from Paris to Dhaka in Bangladesh. ::)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 01:19:14 PM by Hobo »

Tags:

anything