Author Topic: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often  (Read 79557 times)

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
Re: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often
« Reply #195 on: May 20, 2018, 04:00:23 PM »
My EX Navi, is a month old, now. Not had any problems..... Yet!

Yesterday, I inflated to, "holiday load", pressures, and re-calibrated. For the first time.

I find it is easier to photograph the appropriate pages, to my phone. Rather than have the book, in the car with me.

Works for me!  ;)
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #196 on: May 20, 2018, 04:15:08 PM »
Do all cars fitted with the TPMS have false reading problems or only Honda ? It looks like it could become one of those systems where everyone,including dealers, will say "Oh they all do that."
Is it another dismal failing in Honda's 'infotainment' System?

Vic.

My tyre alarms have been self inflicted, I don't think Honda or any other manufacturer has an unreliable tyre warning system. It is a mandatory requirement, I don't think the manufacturers would get away with an unreliable system. I have not seen a a big problem reported in the motoring media although I will accept there maybe a few faults on individual cars.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #197 on: May 20, 2018, 09:37:24 PM »
Garage  on phone, tells me setting in is in the deep reaches of touchscreen

NOT the touchscreen....but you have probably discovered that by now.

I'd give the garage a bit of "polite feedback" about that fake info.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2018, 09:24:03 AM »
Do all cars fitted with the TPMS have false reading problems or only Honda ? It looks like it could become one of those systems where everyone,including dealers, will say "Oh they all do that."

Vic.

I don't think it's a specifically Honda issue. Honda's system is different to that used by many others in that it relies on the ABS sensors picking up a change in diameter and thereby triggering the alarm. That's why it's called a Deflation Warning System as opposed to the more common system whereby there is a sensor on each individual tyre. These sensors are battery powered and send a signal to the car when any individual tyre deflates by 20% or more. The advantage of this system over Honda's is that it can identify the exact tyre that it is at fault. The problem with this type is the batteries can go flat and/or the sensor fail. Repairs can be expensive.

I know we should take the internet with a huge degree of caution but there are a lot of forums, posts, youtube videos, Honest John enquiries etc etc reporting problems either with false alarms or the system failing in some way. Indeed you can now purchase devices to "defeat" the system. If these systems were robust and trouble free no such market would exist.

I guess it depends on how you define reliability. Let's say 90% of drivers never experience a problem. That leaves 10% who do. What I'm trying to say is that faults with these systems are not uncommon.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2018, 09:29:50 AM »

Here is one such system on the market to defeat the tyre pressure monitoring system. I guess these are illegal!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2018, 09:38:13 AM »
The TPMS defeat systems would probably be an MOT fail under the new MOT rules introduced yesterday. Much like the DPF removals. This saga reminds me of the DPF disaster stories when they were introduced. I owned DPF fitted cars for ten years, never had a problem or saw the motorways littered with dead diesels either. Maybe I am just lucky but I am yet to have a lottery win!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:21:44 AM by Skyrider »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #201 on: May 21, 2018, 12:49:15 PM »
The TPMS defeat systems would probably be an MOT fail under the new MOT rules introduced yesterday. Much like the DPF removals. This saga reminds me of the DPF disaster stories when they were introduced. I owned DPF fitted cars for ten years, never had a problem or saw the motorways littered with dead diesels either. Maybe I am just lucky but I am yet to have a lottery win!

Definitely an MOT fail. I guess you would have to remove it before the test! Neither of my 2 diesels had DPFs but my daughter's last car, a diesel Qashqai, did have one and it never gave her any trouble. Key here was she used the car as it was meant to be used - regular motorway work. An acquiantance of mine had loads of trouble with his though but self inflicted. He bought a diesel to do 3,000 miles per annum almost all of it round town!

To be fair to Honda, when I bought my Civic, they did ask me about driving style and specifically warned me off diesel.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #202 on: May 21, 2018, 02:01:55 PM »

TBH I have never had any false warnings of the tyre deflation system on either my Jazz which I had for three years from new or my present Civic, once initialised and set when pressures were checked or adjusted or new tyres were fitted I found the system appears to work without any problems.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #203 on: May 21, 2018, 05:47:44 PM »
I am going to regret this but now two weeks since my last false alarm!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #204 on: May 21, 2018, 06:08:57 PM »
I am going to regret this but now two weeks since my last false alarm!

Don't tamper with your tyres or the system!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #205 on: June 03, 2018, 10:21:22 PM »
I did a run today that included all the previous triggers, warm weather and cruising at or near motorway speeds. No false alarm. Just looking at the extract from the handbook above and I may have missed out part of action 4. I am not sure I pressed SEL/RESET on the exit screen because you can just scroll right past it - the system allows you to do so. On the last recalibration I made sure I did it.

Not quite ready to eat humble pie yet but I won't complain if I have to!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #206 on: June 04, 2018, 08:32:32 AM »
I did a run today that included all the previous triggers, warm weather and cruising at or near motorway speeds. No false alarm. Just looking at the extract from the handbook above and I may have missed out part of action 4. I am not sure I pressed SEL/RESET on the exit screen because you can just scroll right past it - the system allows you to do so. On the last recalibration I made sure I did it.

Not quite ready to eat humble pie yet but I won't complain if I have to!

If you had not done the recalibration properly I am sure the warning would not have been cancelled and the problem would have manifested itself straight away or at most after a few miles, not hundreds. 

Don't get the knife and fork out just yet.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2018, 10:13:29 AM »
I was just in my local Honda dealer and noticed the attached on the wall of the waiting area. Interesting that they've found it necessary to compose and display this, presumably they get lots of customer feedback about it.

Meanwhile I've never had a TPMS warning, despite regularly checking and adjusting tyre pressures. Makes me wonder if it's actually working !

Edit: sorry about the landscape format, it was portrait before I uploaded it and I don't see how to change it !
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:13:39 AM by ColinB »

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #208 on: June 14, 2018, 11:39:35 AM »
This may save some neck pain ;)

I am surprised re-calibration would not take care to different tread wear on the axle.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:41:18 AM by mikebore »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #209 on: June 14, 2018, 11:54:41 AM »
I am surprised re-calibration would not take care to different tread wear on the axle.
Perhaps, once the tyres warm up, there is a significant enough difference with uneven treads to trigger the warning, even after cold calibration.

Tags:

anything