Author Topic: A/C not working  (Read 874 times)

tretorn76

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2003 1,4
A/C not working
« on: May 24, 2019, 10:58:29 AM »
Hi! Got some troubles with my A/C on my 2003 Honda Jazz. The A/C doesnt seems to be working as it only produces not too cold air. Have filled the system according to the right pressure with a DIY gas refilling kit with R134A gas. The system seems to keep pressure so there are no leaks. But still no really cold air. The compressor and the A/C clutch seems to be working as I can here them goes on and off. Strangely the condensor doesnt seems to leave any water from the system as it should. Does anyone have a clue where I should begin to look?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: A/C not working
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 11:35:38 AM »
I am not able to help, except to tell you that unless the air is getting chilled the condenser will not have any moisture to deposit. Lowering the temperature is what causes the formation of ice/ water deposits.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: A/C not working
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 11:47:40 AM »
You have to be a bit careful with the DIY kits,  I use them but have learned that when pressure is low fill it up a bit at a time and check airflow temperature - too much gas is as bad as not enough as far as the compression ( heating ) / expansion (cooling) efficiency is concerned and it you overfill the aircon will not work efficiently ( and may damage compressor ) - there is a certain ( different ) weight of gas in every aircon system and what the auto machines at places like ATS do is evacuate all the gas and then put in the exact amount for the system on your vehicle.   Some pressure gauges on cheaper fill nozzles are not too accurate, Counter-intuitively you may have to release a bit of gas ( I didn't tell you to do that :-X  ) to get system working properly.  The pressure on my InterDynamics filler adapter gauge goes up to 200psi so I can check static pressure.

What is static pressure in the system?
Before the vehicle is started, the static system pressure can be read. Pressure should be very nearly equal in both gauges. Actual pressure will depend on the type refrigerant and the ambient temperature and does not show if the system is properly charged. At 85 degrees Fahrenheit, R134A shows a pressure of around 90 pounds per square inch. Much lower readings suggest the system is low on charge or contaminated with air.  Low static pressure normally shows a leak that must be found and repaired. Finding and repairing leaks are covered in the next Detailed Topic.  At least twenty-five PSI of static pressure is required, or the cycle switch may disable the compressor.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/257

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/210

The R134-a does not cool as well as the older ( ozone destroying ) R12 did and by that measure the latest and more expensive gas  ( HFO-1234yf - which sounds more like a bad password than a refrigerant gas ) required for new cars now will hardly cool the air at all.

https://www.halfordsautocentres.com/advice/air-conditioning-advice/air-conditioning-gas-changes
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 12:13:03 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything