Author Topic: Noise from engine  (Read 3741 times)

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Noise from engine
« on: June 14, 2018, 10:55:25 AM »
Hi, I have just purchased a Jazz mk3 SE and have noticed when cold there is a tappet noise, however this goes when the engine is warm. The other noise is when you turn the engine off there is a noise right at the end of stopping. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Mileage 9000.   Perhaps I just need to keep an eye on it of not normal as it is a young engine.   

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Noise from engine
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 11:10:40 AM »
Hi, I have just purchased a Jazz mk3 SE and have noticed when cold there is a tappet noise, however this goes when the engine is warm. The other noise is when you turn the engine off there is a noise right at the end of stopping. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Mileage 9000.   Perhaps I just need to keep an eye on it of not normal as it is a young engine.

Either turn the radio up or get some earphones,  and remember just because you are paranoid does not mean the engine is not really about to explode.   

Tappet noises and even a bit of piston slap are not unusual when engine is cold,  if the noises are still there when it is hot though I would ask your dealer.   Honda engines are bulletproof,  enjoy your Jazz.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 11:59:50 AM »
Thanks Culzean,it’s just my mk2 engine ran like a sewing machine, of course I realise that this is a different engine. The main reason that I mention it is if there is an issue in the future at least it can be logged with the dealer. 

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 07:56:47 PM »
I popped into the dealership around the corner, they said was normal and that it was a more rattley engine than the mk2. Also that it ran with different grade oil than mk2. In my opinion the mk2 was a much quieter engine. At least it is logged with the garage now...

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 08:01:49 PM »
The cold engine rattle you hear might be the fuel injectors clicking, they work "harder" when the car is effectively on choke.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:03:43 PM by Skyrider »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 08:13:47 PM »
I popped into the dealership around the corner, they said was normal and that it was a more rattley engine than the mk2. Also that it ran with different grade oil than mk2. In my opinion the mk2 was a much quieter engine. At least it is logged with the garage now...

Don't know if you do your own oil changes,  but if you use 5W30 rather than 0W-20 your engine will probably quieten down, and oil will be cheaper.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 08:20:12 PM »

Don't know if you do your own oil changes,  but if you use 5W30 rather than 0W-20 your engine will probably quieten down, and oil will be cheaper.

A car with that mileage is probably still under warranty, recommending non approved oil is not a good idea. There is a chemical tracer in genuine Honda oil and the oil would be checked if there was an engine related warranty claim.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 08:24:20 PM »
Got a service plan so would be changed by Honda dealer...perhaps these engines get less noisy with the mileage. 

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 08:32:42 PM »
Got a service plan so would be changed by Honda dealer...perhaps these engines get less noisy with the mileage.

I would be very surprised if there was a problem with your engine. A couple of things spring to mind, the car is new to you and being a totally different car it will sound different. As it is in Atkinson mode and low powered below about 3,000 revs you may be unwittingly using more revs through the gears to make progress.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 09:53:36 PM »

I would be very surprised if there was a problem with your engine. A couple of things spring to mind, the car is new to you and being a totally different car it will sound different. As it is in Atkinson mode and low powered below about 3,000 revs you may be unwittingly using more revs through the gears to make progress.
Thank you, very helpful, have the cvt, I have noticed that the kick-down is different from the mk2 but is helpful to get a move on. As I don’t do much motorway and mostly local this is not an issue for me. Obviously economy is definately better than mk2. 

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 06:00:01 PM »

on the noise at the end is it four D D D D noise as they all do that as i checked when i first got mine and i heared two other jazzes do it too

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 09:45:39 PM »

lucky you having a dealer round the corner  :)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 11:13:33 PM »

My Mk2 was certainly quieter than my Mk3. But my Mk3 is definitely quieter with 47,000 on the clock than when it was new.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 12:50:54 AM »

My Mk2 was certainly quieter than my Mk3. But my Mk3 is definitely quieter with 47,000 on the clock than when it was new.

well thats certanly something to look forward too

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 01:06:12 PM »

was your noise a single tap tap tap that rose with revs or more of a jangle noise ? thanks

Tags: