Author Topic: Engine start surprise.  (Read 2394 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Engine start surprise.
« on: June 11, 2018, 01:06:23 PM »
I have always started manual transmission cars with my foot on the clutch regardless of if it was an interlock or not. This morning while distracted by a female bending my ear I started my CVT without a foot on the brake, it was in Park and started normally. I found it surprising that there is not a brake/start interlock.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Engine start surprise.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 01:28:10 PM »
All of my five CVT's that I  have owned start in Park without a foot on the brake,the transmission is locked in Park after all. You need to apply the brake to get out of Park though.

Vic.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 02:19:04 PM »
A female bending your ear, you say.
It would seem all car manufacturers have one of those fitted as standard for as far back as I can remember,

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 02:32:01 PM »
One of my teenage granddaughters is about to start driving lessons, no doubt I will get plenty of driving advice in the near future!  :-)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 06:21:31 PM »
One of my teenage granddaughters is about to start driving lessons, no doubt I will get plenty of driving advice in the near future!  :-)

The female of the species are good at giving unwanted driving advice, young or old. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 10:28:58 AM »
VWs (so I guess Audi, Skoda etc) certainly require clutch to be depressed, or brake in autos.

I think manual cars should be left in gear but Jazz driving daughter won't do it in case she forgets.  I have to be careful to remember to leave it in neutral when I drive it.

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 10:39:22 AM »
I will just have to press the footrest in my CVT!

Having always pressed the clutch I have now almost retrained myself to press the brake when starting the car.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 11:22:08 AM »
No harm in having your foot on the brake as you start. At least you will check the servo is working!

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 12:27:51 PM »
No harm in having your foot on the brake as you start. At least you will check the servo is working!

Good point, I was taught that one during the brake system theory part of an HGV course a few light years ago. Exhaust the vacuum first for a proper check. The only HGV that I used that did not have air brakes was a Green Goddess.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:44:30 PM by Skyrider »

guest7494

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 10:56:19 AM »
I have always started manual transmission cars with my foot on the clutch regardless of if it was an interlock or not. This morning while distracted by a female bending my ear I started my CVT without a foot on the brake, it was in Park and started normally. I found it surprising that there is not a brake/start interlock.

Ive just tried my CVT but did not start until Brake Pedal depressed.????
But I think that is the best way, safety first.
 8)

Tags: