Author Topic: Catalytic Converter cage - anyone fitted one recently?  (Read 1182 times)

michaelC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz mk2 2013
Catalytic Converter cage - anyone fitted one recently?
« on: September 21, 2020, 04:50:19 PM »
Hello everyone.
A friend living in the neighbourhood had their car's catalytic converter stolen.  From what I've researched, Honda Jazz cars are one of the top targets as their catalytic converters are relatively accessible.
Has anyone on this forum got one of the cages fitted?  Would Honda garages have any official protection to recommend, given that they're one of the top targets? 
Right now, I'm just backing up my car on my driveway so far that there's just centimetres of gap between the rear and the low wall! haha. but I'm sure that won't be much deterrent to determined thieves.
Cheers in advance.

Steve1962

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
Re: Catalytic Converter cage - anyone fitted one recently?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 05:48:59 PM »
Have a look here to see what this mechanic did after his dads Jazz had the cat stolen....

Steve

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Catalytic Converter cage - anyone fitted one recently?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 08:50:33 PM »
All you're trying to do is slow them down. As the guy says, if they're really determined, they'll have it anyway.

One thing I will say about cable, it either has to be welded to the cat and fixed to the car, or very tightly bound around the front pipe. Otherwise, they will have no problem slipping the pipe cutter between the cables.

I still like the idea of a couple of lengths of rebar welded to the front pipe.

michaelC

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz mk2 2013
Re: Catalytic Converter cage - [Update: NOT required for Mk2 Jazz 2009-2015]
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 03:00:21 PM »
After no responses from a couple of garages around my area, I decided to call Honda dealership and got through to their Servicing department.

They confirmed that that Mk2 Jazz is NOT susceptible to easy Cat theft! (Hurrah! ;D)
They explained its because the cat is near the engine area, so its not easy to steal.
The Mk1 however, was very vulnerable.

Having said that, they have no official solution for the Mk1 models, except to suggest you try calling around local garages to see if they can help fit the cages that are advertised online.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Catalytic Converter cage - [Update: NOT required for Mk2 Jazz 2009-2015]
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 03:44:19 PM »
TBH, I didn't notice this was in the mk2 section.

They confirmed that that Mk2 Jazz is NOT susceptible to easy Cat theft! (Hurrah! ;D)
They explained its because the cat is near the engine area, so its not easy to steal.

The mk1 is ridiculously easy to get at.

The mk2 is not easy to remove, but it's certainly possible - but time-consuming and takes some effort.

The mk3 is the best, the cat is bolted to the exhaust manifold and is tucked up behind the engine - as secure as it gets.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 05:03:40 PM by sparky Paul »

Tags:

anything