Author Topic: Ctek Multi XS-3600 (MXS 3.6) smart battery charger  (Read 21728 times)

bill888

• Approved Member
Re: Ctek Multi XS-3600 smart battery charger
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 04:51:53 PM »

Have you checked with your previous battery, if you start your car is the nominal voltage drops below 9V?
Cheers!

No, I didn't check the voltage while trying to crank the engine with the old battery.  The engine always starts very quickly at the flick of the ignition key (even last winter), and I don't really like continuing to crank the engine on the starter more than necessary after engine has fired TBH.

2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 05:05:53 PM »
I did not mean to crank the engine longer after start.
Some meters are having the option to show the lowest and highest measurement (displayed with smaller numbers ).
If your meter does not have that than need somebody to stand by the car with the meter at the moment of the car start and read the voltage (and remember the lowest number - you can even try with your new battery and repeat it after 5-6 years when need a new one again).
Doesn`t matter anyway! (If the voltage was dropped below 9V the battery needs change.)

mod: Today morning I have checked my battery (before the 1st start, Bosch Asian Silver, 40Ah, Made: Feb 2006, bought June 2006).
Terminal voltage: 12.55V
Minimum voltage: 9.87V (at the engine start)
Maximum voltage: 14.55V (charging).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:00:07 AM by DV »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 02:50:41 PM »
Just a quick note - sulphation occurs in a lead acid battery when it is left below 50% charge for long periods, ie short journeys, lots of starting,  use of headlights, heated screens, heated mirrors, wipers etc. etc.

The car battery is probably the most neglected part of a car, most people never think about it until it fails (normally on a cold winters morning).   A decent battery will cost from £60 to £80, and one that price will give at least 4 - probably 5 years of good service - (about £15 a year or 30p a week), most people spend more than that on chewing gum!

It's not only your battery that suffers from low mileage, the rest of the car - ( 99% of the wear takes place in the first couple of miles of a journey) suffers as well (including the oil, which gets full of acidic pollution from cold engine running).

There is a myth about low mileage cars that they are worth more and are a better buy - it's complete hogwash - give me a higher mileage one any day!

Try this websites for battery info
http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/00.Glossary/

http://www.batteryfaq.org/
quote from above website-----
When a battery is left in a discharged condition, continually undercharged, or the electrolyte level is below the top of the plates or stratified, some of the soft lead sulfate re-crystallizes into hard lead sulfate. It cannot be reconverted during subsequent recharging. This creation of hard crystals is commonly called permanent or hard "sulfation". When it is present, the battery shows a higher voltage than its true voltage; thus, fooling the voltage regulator into thinking that the battery is fully charged. This causes the charger to prematurely lower its output voltage or current, leaving the battery undercharged. Sulfation accounts for approximately 85% of the lead-acid battery failures that are not used at least once per week.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:18:39 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bill888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
This morning, I wired up a pair of old 50w halogen downlighter bulbs to the old Yuasa 36Ah battery, to evaluate how much Ah capacity was really stored in the battery.   Admittingly, this won't simulate the real effects of a starter motor which would be affected by high internal resistance within a poor/sulphated battery.

Discharge test no.1:

At start, 12.4+ volts (no load)
After 1 hour: terminal voltage is  11.70v/8A under load. Estimated 8Ah drawn.
After 2 hours: 9.34v. Total estimated 15Ah drawn.
After 3 hours: 6.76v/6A. Total estimated 20Ah drawn.
After 4 hours: 4v/4A.  Total estimated 25Ah drawn.

Approaching 5 hours, 2 volts under load at which point I disconnected the lamps.  The open circuit voltage measured around 7.8v after about 10 minutes.

25Ah equates to an estimate of 60-70% charge drawn from the battery, which seems consistent with previous estimates of charge level.   

I had hoped to test the Ctek charger's stage 1 - disulphation mode, but upon reconnecting the charger, it appears to have gone straight to stage 2 - bulk charging (constant current).  I guess the terminal voltage of 7.8v clearly wasn't low enough.   The charging voltage had climbed to  about 10.5 volts after 5 minutes. 

I also observed the Ctek charger got Very hot while charging, perhaps while delivering fully 3.6 Amp charging current.   In hindsight, when the charger was attached to the battery in the car, the charger only felt warm to hot.

Update   

After 11-12 hours, the Ctek indicated the battery was fully charged (stage 4 - fully charged/pulse maintenance charge mode).  The terminal voltage has only fallen from 13.18v to 13.16v in the past hour.  ie. it has not fallen below 12.8v within a few minutes to cause the Ctek charger to switch back to charging mode.   Discharging the battery seems to have resolved this issue.

The charge level indicator on the top of the Yuasa battery is indicating the battery requires charging.  Prior to discharging, the indicator used to report the battery was OK even when there was a low charge level (12.05v) many months ago.  I suspect the indicator was previously faulty/unreliable.   It may now perhaps be providing a true indication of the current charge level.

Discharge test no.2:

Initial voltage: 12.57v under 8A load.  (13.13v no load)
After 1 hour: 11.93v/8A
After 2 hours: 9.39v
Test halted.   Open circuit terminal voltage had slowly risen so far to 11.85v after 45 minutes.

Examining the outer case of the Yuasa battery, it is possible to check the acid level.  I also observed there appear to be some sort of white deposit sitting at the bottom of each of the six cells viewed through the casing.  Varies in height from 1cm to 2cm measured from bottom of case  I think it is lead sulphate deposits.  I understand if the deposits become too great, it can short out the plates in one or more cells.   The battery would then need to be replaced. 

Conclusion: Negligible improvement in estimated maximum stored Ah capacity compared to yesterday's test.   Best estimate of 70%.   The charge level indicator on the battery also shows the battery needs charging. 

I've also observed that to read the charge level indicator correctly on the Yuasa battery, you have to be at least a foot or more above/away from the battery and looking directly down onto the lens.   If you are too close or looking at the the indicator lens at an angle, you may incorrectly see a feint blue ring surrounding a grey middle ring encircling a red dot and misinterpret it as a fully charged battery.    If the battery is sufficiently charged, the blue ring is Very bold in appearance and surrounds a red dot.

Update

The old Yuasa battery had been sitting in the garage for the past two months.   I've now noticed the charge indicator now shows the battery is in Good condition.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:39:16 AM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

guest765

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 12:20:02 AM »
absolute top bit of kit......ive had mine a couple of years now when i go to the coast for awhile i just connect the cetek to my other car and leave it......also vice versa.........when battery is full it turns itself off until the charge drops then it turns it back on again.......best £50 ive spent ;D

Tags:

anything