Author Topic: Rear seat / C pillar knocking noise  (Read 8024 times)

Rabiedmushroom

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 1.4EX Elite plus
Rear seat / C pillar knocking noise
« on: April 07, 2013, 03:14:56 PM »
An annoying clonking knocking noise has developed in my Jazz. Its a late 2008 EX (Japanese built). I've taken EVERYTHING out of the boot area, including the parcel shelf, to check where its coming from. Its a heavy metallic 'thonk' and seems to be in the rear seat or C-pillar area - on both sides of the car.

It seems to do it with the seats either in normal position, or magic seats up. But not when they are fully down. The car has to be travelling, but it doesn't seem to be affected by speed, braking, turning left or right, or if its cold or hot inside/out. It still does it if the seatbelts are done up or not. Nothing obvious seems to be loose, the plastic panels are not cracked or pinged out of shape, nor are the seatbelt or seat mountings undone. I'm worried its something to do with rear airbags, the seatbelt mechanism, or safety of the rear seat catch.

My car just randomly 'clonks' as I drive along. Its driving me nuts!  :'(

Before I take it down to Honda and ask them to check it out, has anyone else come across this problem?

Jazz Hands

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 Si
Re: Rear seat / C pillar knocking noise
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 03:46:55 PM »
have you investigated fuel tank tube / fuel tank ?

I'm thinking fuel tank, and noise is being transmitted via tube when fuel sloshing about
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:57:26 PM by Jazz Hands »

guest671

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 08:22:16 PM »
I have the same model as you (2008 EX - Japanese made) and last year had the same problem as you. It was driving me nuts too so I took it to my local Honda garage. The mechanic knew without looking what the noise was. He grabbed some tape and came out and fixed it. Turns out it was where the catch on the back of the back seat loosens and makes a clonking noise. He wrapped some tape round it and magically the noise has gone. He said it was a common problem and they were going to write to Honda and ask for a more permanent fix to this problem. I never had any feedback from this.

guest806

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 09:22:42 PM »
Evening, can you confirm where the tape was placed, I think I may have the same problem.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 08:12:31 AM »
Around the "U" shaped bolt that is attached to the body
If music be the food of love, play on

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 11:02:06 PM »
I have a 2006 Jazz and have a bit of thunk every so often. I might have a look. Hope its this as it would be a nice easy fix  ;D

guest907

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 10:55:16 PM »
I had exactly the same problem on a previous Jazz and my cure was to spread thin layer of Vaseline on the seat striker post and make sure some is spread on the black rubber semi circle buffer at the corner of the latch itself on the seat.

I was convinced the noise was under the floor on the n/s but amazed how the seat can make such a deceiving noise.

Rabiedmushroom

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 08:10:12 PM »
Thanks. I've got the car booked into my local Honda to see what they make of it.

Rabiedmushroom

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 06:56:39 AM »
Well the answer is yes, it's a problem with the rear seat catches. According to the Honda technician it is quite common for the first of the GE Jazzes before the facelift model. It's a 10 minute wait for them to adjust it, however you have to pay £labour because its an adjustment, not a claimable warranty item. Honda are not interested in feedback because its such a minor fault and its not on the current model.

However it was £20 well spent because the knocking noise was driving me crackers!

Tags: