Author Topic: Rust on rear driver side door  (Read 1014 times)

georgeb

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz MK1 1.4
Rust on rear driver side door
« on: October 14, 2020, 06:11:45 PM »
I've just spotted some rust on my new to me 2007 Jazz along the top of the rear drivers side door (pictures attached). A close inspection of the door seal didn't show any obvious problem so I'm not too sure how the water is even getting in! Is this a problem anyone else has faced?

The current plan is some waxoyl and a new door seal but I'd love to hear any better suggestions.

Barryl

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2006
Re: Rust on rear driver side door
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 08:28:16 PM »
Both our old Jazz I'm scrapping and the replacement have this.  Even though we live in a most extreme area, by the sea, with constant salt spray, I suspect it is a common problem ?

Incidentally, both cars are 2006, the scrapper owned from new and just failed its MoT on a rusty sill (noisy gearbox and slipping clutch too ....).  The replacement, for 1200 pounds is in comparison immaculate.  Both cars in Cornwall for most of their lives.

I've not tried removing the trim, but if you do I'm sure you can improve things at this stage.  I suspect there is a sharp edge with little paint on it underneath the rubber ?

The picture I've attached shows a hole through the rear door where it is almost a single skin.  It was so bad (I thought it was the black trim bubbling at first), but it was terminal rust.  A place to watch !

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Rust on rear driver side door
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 12:00:27 PM »
I would pick a fine day remove the door seal, expose the inner door , treat with anti-rust [ Loctite 7503 ] after wire wool or wet & dry paper on loose rust. Undercoat grey primer then top coat in Jazz colour.
For a quick job this weather part remove the seal along top of door then remove loose rust then Loctite 7503 onto metal turns black and with second coat will help untill warmer weather replace seal.

Tags:

anything