Author Topic: A warning for all when pulling out of junctions ;)  (Read 2987 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
A warning for all when pulling out of junctions ;)
« on: February 27, 2019, 06:26:57 PM »
Pulling out of our office park as I've done many times over the past four years I looked both ways. And as always I 'walked' my eyes up the road. Closed gate to the left, silhouette of lorry parked in the distance to my right. I took extra care looking right because that's open road and the sun was obviously dazzling me. It looked clear so I pulled out and nearly got t-boned. Luckily the other driver was going slow enough to stop a couple of metres from me (possibly slowing for the closed gate he was approaching). Thankfully I saw him early enough for me to straighten up and head for the kerb opposite which gave him a bit more space. Normally we all have to turn early in order to avoid parked cars almost opposite.

But damn, that's the closest I've come in several years to a crash and this one entirely my fault. The only thing I'd have suggested the other driver do (and something for us all to think about) is to have his headlights on. His car was completely invisible to me because he didn't.

I think in future I have to be more circumspect about pulling out of there (and probably other junctions). Creep out at first - that way anyone I've failed to spot will have a bit more time and space in which to avoid me. Mind you I can't remember any other time the sun has been that much of a problem. I can only assume that most years when it's that low at 5pm it's been cloudy.

I also suspect I made things worse by double checking to my right. If I'd just looked left, right then gone as I normally do I think I've had got of their way without them having to stop.

So - be careful out there, friends :)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: A warning for all when pulling out of junctions ;)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 10:55:28 PM »
It reads very like the recent Duke of Edinburgh incident, but I'm not suggesting you give up your licence!  It's very hard to know what to do when blinded by the sun, especially when already moving at some speed.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 11:23:18 PM »
I pick up Granddaughter from school in the next village one day a week and driving back,  the last bit of the country lane turns due west and rises so the sun is level into your face - it's been an absolute nightmare this last month, even when you're ready for it to happen.

I hate that lane but alternative routes have their issues too.  Generally I'm in wife's Tiguan - I'd be even more nervous in her old Jazz.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 08:15:51 AM »
Driving instructor hat on . . . . .

I ask my pupils a question, "Would you emerge from a junction if you couldn't see any vehicles coming?"
They say "Yes"
"If you were blindfolded, would it then be safe to emerge as you can't see any cars . . . . Only emerge when you CAN SEE that its clear".

Stay safe out there, not everyone passed the UK driving test, one of the toughest driving tests in the world.

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 09:01:50 AM »
Driving instructor hat on . . . . .

I ask my pupils a question, "Would you emerge from a junction if you couldn't see any vehicles coming?"
They say "Yes"
"If you were blindfolded, would it then be safe to emerge as you can't see any cars . . . . Only emerge when you CAN SEE that its clear".

Stay safe out there, not everyone passed the UK driving test, one of the toughest driving tests in the world.
Yeah. Trouble is thought I could see. I was wearing sunglasses, I double checked the road and I was sure it was clear. Waiting for the sun to no longer be a problem was not practical - you can't sit blocking the exit from an office park for fifteen minutes at 5pm.

But someone on another forum made me realise that winding my window down might have helped me hear the approaching vehicle so that's something to take on board.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 09:06:35 AM »
If my vision is blocked I will just inch out until I can see it is clear. Hopefully someone I cannot see will see my bonnet slowly poking out and be aware of me. The only good thing about low sun is you know where it is and it shouldn't really catch you too much unaware. My wife (non driver) pulls her sun visor down at the first instance, and keeps it down for the rest of the journey. Yesterday I asked her "Is that sun visor doing a good job of keeping the sun off the back of your neck?", as we drove north out of town!

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »
I find inching out in a Jazz a much less stressful experience than my old Mondeo where the bonnet seemed to go on and on  ;)
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 10:16:35 AM »
I find inching out in a Jazz a much less stressful experience than my old Mondeo where the bonnet seemed to go on and on  ;)
Don't buy a BMW or Audi.  Nobody will let you out.  So I'm told ;)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 01:58:25 PM »

One of the things i did NOT like about my Triumph Spitfire. It felt like you was driving from the back seat.

And don't get me started on the complete lack of visibility crossing a single lane humpback bridge in the Lake District. You end up looking at a windscreen full of bonnet!

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 12:09:25 PM »
I could make an unkind generalisation about how BMW and Audi drivers seem to pull out anyway - a prejudice of mine which extends to all sorts of SUV's the (similarly bloated) modern Mini and don't get me started on the antics of Golf GTI's... But who wants to read a grumpy rant?

I have wondered if the lovely Grey Sparkle paint on my Jazz should be called Asphalt Grey because sometimes people just don't see me.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 12:50:38 PM »
 Quote from Springswood.  "I have wondered if the lovely Grey Sparkle paint on my Jazz should be called Asphalt Grey because sometimes people just don't see me".

That's exactly why the 3 Jazz cars that I have owned have all been Milano Red.
I am a firm believer in 'being seen' and there are several popular colours out there, which simply 'blend in' with the tarmac!!

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 03:32:48 PM »
Yellow is probably the safest colour, but I just don't like it!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 05:33:05 PM »
White is pretty good colour, because roadside vegetation, buildings and road surfaces are all pretty dark colours.

One good thing about the LED headlight bulbs I fitted is that I am quite happy to drive everywhere in daylight with dipped beam on nowadays, knowing that the LED bulbs are not 'wearing out' - at 18 months they have already outlasted any of the selection of higher power filament bulbs I fitted for many years which used to last on average about 15 months, and they hardly got used in daytime except in bad visibility, but these LED bulbs may well outlast me...

I know from riding a motorbike how important having lights on in daylight is for other people to see you, getting the same with a car now because of all the bright DRL you are now more invisible if you don't have lights on because IMHO people are getting less observant ( and traffic getting heavier) and only see you if your lights are on, you need to be visible with just a quick glance now.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 06:39:41 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything