Author Topic: Accelerator pedal detent.  (Read 4222 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Accelerator pedal detent.
« on: June 15, 2018, 11:45:13 AM »
As my car is now well bedded in I was exploring its capabilities yesterday. I have come to the conclusion that the detent near the bottom of the accelerator travel is an economy stop. The CVT has dropped to a suitable ratio before you arrive at the detent and the engine releases more power once you pass the detent. I was in sport mode and this combined with a full application of accelerator travel is not something that would be required on a regular basis. It gives most unlike Jazz performance but produces a big smile!

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: Accelerator pedal detent.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 12:21:00 PM »
Could be. I've also noticed that if you go past the detente by accident then release it the deceleration can be quite violent.

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 12:32:59 PM »
The effect was quite smooth in my car, this may be the CVT. The extra 30 odd BHP certainly make their presence felt.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 12:48:14 PM »
It also acts as an overide for the speed limiters

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 12:56:21 PM »
I have never used the speed limiters, other than a check to prove they work. I prefer cruise control. I would think that switching the limiter off at a high power output would not be a good idea, particularly in slippery surface conditions. The cruise control overide is smooth in its operation.

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 01:02:01 PM »
I have never used the speed limiters, other than a check to prove they work. I prefer cruise control. I would think that switching the limiter off at a high power output would not be a good idea, particularly in slippery surface conditions. The cruise control overide is smooth in its operation.
I use them all the time, except when motorway driving, when I use the cruise control.  A very quick dap on the throttle will cancel it until the car speed drops below the current limit or another sign is encountered.  We have a stretch of road where a 20 limit is set for tracked vehicles (within a 40 limit).  That is where I dab the throttle.  Works a treat.  I think slippery surface conditions would have to be very severe for my little 1.3 to get into any difficultioes.

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 01:40:59 PM »
Does your quick dab of the throttle include  operating the the accelerator detent you describe as an overide? My car would rapidly be at licence thretening speeds with that amount of throttle.

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 01:44:19 PM »
Does your quick dab of the throttle include  operating the the accelerator detent you describe as an overide? My car would rapidly be at licence thretening speeds with that amount of throttle.
Yes it does.  I would estimate around 0.25 seconds.  I want a car like yours  :)

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 03:35:10 PM »
Yes it does.  I would estimate around 0.25 seconds.  I want a car like yours  :)

Maybe you should buy a 1.5 Sport CVT then. In my car if you pressed the accelerator in the way you describe the CVT would be in its equivalent of first gear and the engine revs would be north of 6,000 before you hit the detent, let alone full travel. I will leave you to figure out what happens next.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:42:22 PM by Skyrider »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 03:49:50 PM »
That is a thing I loved about automatics. There are a set of lights at the start of the M8. I loved getting stopped at the front of the queue. There was always some speedster in lane 2. I would drop out of Drive, and on the green lights I would floor it. The kickdown would operate and I would be off like a scalded cat. It would change up, just before the rev limiter, until such time as I bottled out, fearing licence threatening penalty points.

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 05:20:17 PM »

Maybe you should buy a 1.5 Sport CVT then. In my car if you pressed the accelerator in the way you describe the CVT would be in its equivalent of first gear and the engine revs would be north of 6,000 before you hit the detent, let alone full travel. I will leave you to figure out what happens next.
Well I guess the whole kickdown thing is designed for automatics to do just that.  Having not driven one, tbh I don't even know if the speed limited overide works like that on a cvt.  I am very impressed that it responds in a split of a second though.  Perhaps you could give it a go sometime, I would be interested to know exactly what it does as I am concidering a cvt for my next one.  You litterally just dab it to the floor and release it straight away.  It will emit a beep.  Of course if you drop back within the limit again, it will re-engage.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 06:02:38 PM »
Could be. I've also noticed that if you go past the detente by accident then release it the deceleration can be quite violent.
That is in the CVT, pre-facelift version. It's only happened once or twice and may be the result of a rapid 'down/up' on the pedal. Perhaps it has some logic that decides if you let the pedal back up within half a second it should help you back off using engine braking. Either that or it's a bug. It was certainly an unpleasant experience.

It's fine if you just release the pedal after several seconds but an immediate release seems to be violent.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 06:06:51 PM »
That is a thing I loved about automatics. There are a set of lights at the start of the M8. I loved getting stopped at the front of the queue. There was always some speedster in lane 2. I would drop out of Drive, and on the green lights I would floor it. The kickdown would operate and I would be off like a scalded cat. It would change up, just before the rev limiter, until such time as I bottled out, fearing licence threatening penalty points.
Unfortunately (or maybe not) the Honda CVT doesn't support fast starts. It's probably trying to protect the belt but even if you immediately floor the accelerator past the detente you're not going to see the revs go any higher than 4,000 until the car has got well underway. You can still out accelerate most drivers simply because most drivers barely nudge the accelerator but you can forget any attempt to 'burn rubber'.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 06:19:19 PM »
It's only happened once or twice and may be the result of a rapid 'down/up' on the pedal. Perhaps it has some logic that decides if you let the pedal back up within half a second it should help you back off using engine braking. Either that or it's a bug. It was certainly an unpleasant experience.

It's fine if you just release the pedal after several seconds but an immediate release seems to be violent.
Probably just as belts are positioned for lower gearing.

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 10:21:53 PM »
Unfortunately (or maybe not) the Honda CVT doesn't support fast starts. It's probably trying to protect the belt but even if you immediately floor the accelerator past the detente you're not going to see the revs go any higher than 4,000 until the car has got well underway. You can still out accelerate most drivers simply because most drivers barely nudge the accelerator but you can forget any attempt to 'burn rubber'.

Mine does not work like that. It is easy to provoke the traction control into action when accelerating on wet roads. Fortunately I was taught accelerator control during my HGV training, don't use more than you need and dont use it if you can see that you will have to slow ahead. Sounds obvious but how many drivers do you see braking hard for a light that has been red for a while or a give way that you could see from way back?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:15:58 AM by Skyrider »

Tags: