Author Topic: Retrofit USB port to ES?  (Read 10939 times)

Geoffers

Retrofit USB port to ES?
« on: October 27, 2009, 01:09:57 PM »
Been looking at doing this and came across this on eBay.

Anyone here any experience of this? Any comments welcome!

guest765

• Topic Starter
Re: Retrofit USB port to ES?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 07:50:47 PM »
Geoffers........Worisit......Wotsitdo........will it fit a 2005 se Jazz ?...... ???

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 10:50:33 PM »
Well, the EX comes with a USB port as standard. You can plug your memory sticks in to it and play direct from them.

I was wondering if this gadget is the same as the EX and whether it will just 'plug n play'!

guest765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
I would imagine it neeeds the appropriate stereo system installed.......i dont think the 005 one is advanced enough....... :(

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 08:28:11 PM »
They usually work via the CD changer connection so in theory should work with any radio with CD changer control.

I did read somewhere that with these third party USB ports you need to organize your memory stick, etc., with various sub folders to represent CD's as the radio sees the USB port as very large CD changer. In that respect it probably doesn't work like the factory one fitted to the EX.

guest765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 04:04:43 PM »
Are the stereo systems in the 2005/6 Jazz,........... Alpine units...........it does recieve the FM transmitter signals ok and plays them as MP3........investigations will continue  ;)

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 04:06:35 PM »
They usually work via the CD changer connection so in theory should work with any radio with CD changer control.

I did read somewhere that with these third party USB ports you need to organize your memory stick, etc., with various sub folders to represent CD's as the radio sees the USB port as very large CD changer. In that respect it probably doesn't work like the factory one fitted to the EX.

That's how it is described in my handbook! It is a virtual CD changer.

eljuero

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 Comfort
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 08:50:49 PM »
I don't have EX so I bought and install (well Honda for me) genuine Honda usb kit and it works without any problem. It costs just a little more (got it from USA).

Here you have instalation guide
100+1 HP

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 09:44:10 PM »
Thanks for that elijuero!
I think I may get one of these now.

guest1194

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 08:05:58 PM »
eljuero can you confirm that this usb kit for american honda fit :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-2010-HONDA-FIT-USB-MP3-PLAYER-CONNECTION-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439b2afa10QQitemZ290366093840QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

... can also be installed on in the European Honda Jazz?

At least in Spain (my Jazz is Spanish) the superior EX version that  comes with the usb connector does not have it in the glove compartment as this kit shows

Anybody has done the installation himself? is tricky?

Thank you!!

eljuero

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 08:39:20 PM »
eljuero can you confirm that this usb kit for american honda fit :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-2010-HONDA-FIT-USB-MP3-PLAYER-CONNECTION-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439b2afa10QQitemZ290366093840QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

... can also be installed on in the European Honda Jazz?

Well, I bought it for my EU Jazz Comfort from www.partscheap.com but part number is the same. So ...
My works perfectly!! I can recommend that seller. Got the item in 8 days after payment (that include customs). Hope they deliver to Spain. Best is to buy several items, "low" shipping costs all together.

Like you I had some worries. Asked my Honda dealer but they couldn't confirm. They just said they need to see it first :) :) Just go for it, its worth every €, plus it comes at least 100€ cheaper than by local Honda dealer!
100+1 HP

guest1236

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 11:10:11 PM »
did you fit this kit into the glovebox?

On the EX i've seen the USB socket is in the centre console, so it means you have to unplug the ipod every time you park up. The US Fits / Jazz have the socket in the glovebox which is a much better solution.

I'm thinking of buying an EX but might get this kit as well if it means i can fit the USB to the glovebox. I wonder if its just a case of unplugging the already fitted one and adding this kit in

http://www.partscheap.com/2010_Honda_Fit_USB_MP3_Player_Connection_p/08a28-0k1-100-f10.htm

or another option would be to try and remove the existing kit and fit a blank over the hole in the centre console. Dont know why the US ones get a different position for the socket, means Honda are making 2 different designs which seems odd from a financial point of view.

eljuero

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 04:52:17 PM »
Yes, into the glovebox.
I have ES model so USB kit is as accessorie in my model.
If my logic is correct you can install USB into the glovebox too, like in ES model.
Since EX model already have the control unit I guess you would just need attachment kit (longer cable ...). I had to buy both.
http://www.partscheap.com/2009_Honda_FIT_USB_Adapter_Attachment_p/08b28-tk6-110.htm
Do check with the seller.

100+1 HP

Tags:

anything