Author Topic: Remove Jazz radio and create a DIY Ipod connection  (Read 23601 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Remove Jazz radio and create a DIY Ipod connection
« on: October 03, 2006, 07:11:12 PM »
Here is some information on how to connect a Ipod or similar device to your Honda Jazz’s factory-fit audio unit. You may also find this useful for connecting CD autochangers.

This will involve removing the audio head unit.

This project is suitable for Jazz owners with the factory-fit radio/CD or radio/cassette unit with CD changer control.
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/audio.htm
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 04:53:06 PM by RichardA »

guest102

Re: How to remove Jazz radio and create a DIY Ipod connection
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 06:12:11 PM »
Thanks for the link - spent some time looking for the two screws to remove the head unit and replace with c.d player…. Always much easier when you know …
For those that haven’t found them yet on the Jazz there are two 8mm vertical screws concealed behind the heater controls - take off the bottom panel to get access - undo the screw and the head unit slides out ..Regards Bob. R.

guest90

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 11:11:11 AM »
Hi there,

I’ve just picked up a second hand Jazz (loving it so far) and I’m keen to be able to play minidiscs and mp3, so this looks like a great option.

I’m fairly confident at getting to the back of the stereo but I’ve never been too handy with a soldering iron though, does anyone know if it’s possible to get a lead ready madeup to plug in the back?

If not, then any tips most welcome

ta
Andy

guest337

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 01:13:12 PM »
Have removed the three screws (one in the heating controls and the two vertical ones behind and above), but the cd/radio console remians immovable. I have tried pulling it forwards from under the facia - ie. at the bottom where the panel is removed, but nothing moves - even a bit! Is it possible that there are other screws? or could I have undone the wrong ones? or equally is it just stuck in very well. As I understand the diagrams, the console slides forward, what do you grab onto to pull?

I had quite a struggle to get the lower panel off….perhaps if they have never been disturbed since first assembly they are well stuck.

Comments/help much appreciated

neils-home

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 09:11:22 PM »
Same problem here, removed all three screws but the head unit will not move at all. I have put as much pressure as I dare but realy cant get it to move, even 1mm. Is there a trick to getting it out or a special tool???

guest102

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 09:21:13 PM »
I have an interface which plugs into the back of your existing head unit and has outlets for c/d changers and MP3 players. I bought it to fit a c/d changer and then got an integral one instead so it was never used….
PM me with your email addy and i’ll send you a picture if you want it

guest90

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 11:12:17 AM »
Hi Bob.R

I’ve sent you a PM

guest436

Re: [HOW TO]: Remove Jazz radio and create a DIY Ipod connection
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 09:54:23 PM »
I've had various radio's out (on my Civic, other half's Yaris to name but two) and I can say its never easy with modern anti-theft radios. But worth it...got my iPod connected via a proper iPod kit controlling the 'pod via the head unit controls.   8)

edit by Admin - removed old smileys

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 04:34:22 PM »
I did enquire with the dealer about removing the radio ages Ok when I thought about adding a CD changer, and they admitted it's not an easy job and some radio units have been damaged in the process. You've been warned!   :)

edit by Admin - removed old smileys
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 11:59:13 AM by RichardA »

guest528

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 01:19:47 PM »
Having just bought my wife a new Jazz 1.4 Sport CVT, I have just fitted rear parking sensors and a CK3100 Parrot bluetooth kit.

As many above, I was unsure how to remove the radio console to fit the Parrot kit, but I managed it on my Civic 2.2 SGT, so it can't be any harder than that!

Having searched google, I found little help, only the advice about removing the two vertical screws as above. I did this easy enough, but it was still pretty well fixed, as others have found.

Having done similar things a time or two before, I just had enough confidence to pull a lot harder than you would expect to have to, and it does come loose. After to two screws are removed, it's only fixed by about half a dozen spring clips, and it WILL come.

Mine first came away in the lower left corner, but it's best if you try and keep it as straight and level as you can when you pull it. That's not so easy, since there's nothing to hold onto at the top. I've found using a plastic spatula from the kitchen helps to open up joints, and shouldn't leave any marks. You can also use masking tape to sheild the plastic trim if you do need to prize it open a bit.

guest410

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 01:20:05 PM »
Just fitted a Connects2 adapter to play and charge Ipod (ebay £29 ;)) for my daughter's nano.

Haynes manual very helpful, though I'm not sure removing all the heating wire cables were necessary (did so however), and the fact Haynes miss out removing the lower dash footwell cover, to access a cable was confusing me  >:((placed to floor by 3 stiff rubber pegs).

I'd advise that when removing the 2 inner screws, either side of radio, that a magnetic tipped driver is used.

Most Honda trims are 'bashed' together (-spring catches precisely but brutally forced together at manufacturing), pulling out the radio/heater control unit is tough, as long as you've removed the screws it will snap out (in terms of force it was even tighter than the lower 3 heater dial fascia).

Anyway, got braver/stupider and ran cable through blank next to cigarette lighter in the centre console, so all that's left is a requirement for a small rubber grommet :D!

guest593

Re: Remove Jazz radio and create a DIY Ipod connection
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 04:10:36 PM »
I've just finished adding an Ipod control cable to my 2004 Jazz. It was fairly easy to get the heater switch case of and the 2 other screws but I can tell you it took a hell of a lot of pulling to get the radio out. At one stage I was worried I would damage the radio but it came out ok just needed some brute strength that's all.
Once out it was just a simple case of routing the cable and connecting it to the back of the radio. Ipod works perfectly. Should say the type of cable I used is the one that controls the ipod through the car radio and charges it as well, bought of Ebay.
 :D :D :D

guest1482

Re: Remove Jazz radio and create a DIY Ipod connection
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 09:47:05 PM »
Aww, wish I could do this, but I am not brave enough! Nor do I have access to a soldering iron........... Can I go anywhere to get this sort of thing done? Like a garage? How much would it cost?

Tags:

anything