Author Topic: Jazz ES-T Sat nav HDD 2010  (Read 8352 times)

A1Bowl

Jazz ES-T Sat nav HDD 2010
« on: July 31, 2010, 05:09:28 PM »
Hi, just taken delivery and trying to work out a couple of things with the sat nav.

map updates, where do they come from, anyone any experience

POI's any chance to add speed cameras, sorry i mean safety cameras.

Love the car, even the I-shift.

Any advice most welcome

guest238

• Topic Starter
Re: Jazz ES-T Sat nav HDD 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:08:44 PM »
Slightly off topic but is it voice activated like on the Civic/Accord?

That is so cool. Like KITT from Knight Rider....

....but without Hasselhoff. 8)

A1Bowl

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 04:21:28 PM »
No it isn't, could have been had i paid even more for it....

Got a bit of sense from the dealer, apparently the unit is manufactured by Clarion to Honda spec so Clarion don't support it with map up dates and Honda don't have an update planned till September.

Will be interesting as the mapping on my new car is at least 2 years out of date.

I sense a battle coming on.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 12:30:10 PM »
Never had a car with built in sat-nav but IMHO my Garmin 1490T (5" screen with lane assist, junction view, lifetime traffic info and bluetooth with voice activation) beats the system in my brother-in-laws brand new Lexus hands down. It has the added advantage that I can use it out of the vehicle for both off road (cross country) and city pedestrian mode.  I have no trouble getting free unit software updates from Garmin and can get lifetime map updates for about £150.  I use speed (sorry safety) camera database from pocketgpsworld.com, its updated every two weeks for only £20 a year.  (Apparently Lexus 'navigation system' can add over £2K to vehicle price).

Its convenient for manufacturers to add Satnav to the HMI display in the car that is already used for touch screen control of radio, aircon, rear camera etc. but remember the old saying 'jack of all trades but master of non'!
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

A1Bowl

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 07:57:14 AM »
Hi Culzean, don't doubt the garmin package is excellent but disagree with you on terms of practicality. No holders on the windscreen and everything in one box and then in one place is great. The Jazz satnav is excellent. my wife can use it and not get lost so it must be good. my only problem is that Honda are particularly slow at coming forward, even to the extent of having no user manual for any product available for download. Check out some of the other manufacturers and see what I mean.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 11:09:54 PM »

Will be interesting as the mapping on my new car is at least 2 years out of date.

Doesn't really matter in reality - the roads don't change that much.  And with pretty well everything on hold now, they're not likely to change in the next few years, either!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 10:05:38 AM »
The roads do change more than you think, I update maps regularly and I can still find myself coming up to islands that aren't on the sat-nav, and also finding that the new road I am on shows me driving across a field and the sat-nav keeps trying to re-calculate my route.

On the other hand, I don't think that sat-navs that show the speed limit have any chance of keeping up with the ever-lowering speed limits on our roads, I am always amazed that the speed limit on a main 'A' road can drop from 60 to 30 for  a mile or two just because there are a couple of houses.  It used to be a legal requirement that to introduce a 30mph speed limit the street lighting had to be really good, but nowadays councils seem to introduce 30 limits as and when they please, even with no street lights.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything