Author Topic: 3rd time lucky...  (Read 4849 times)

guest1272

3rd time lucky...
« on: March 22, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »
OK, so I need some advice on how to upgrade the audio in my Jazz please :). I think the HU needs to be addressed first, so I have come up with the following ideas.

Problem 2010 Honda Jazz ES UK model (R.H.D with steering wheel controls but no tweeters) - I'm happy with the volume of the system, it's just the quality of the sound is poor with muddy bass, no midrange and shrill treble.

OPTION 1a

JL Audio Cleansweep £270
Small 4ch Amp £100ish

Total £370

Ideally, I would've preferred the cleansweep to have a built in amp and simply put the speaker wires directly into it, but I'll have to settle on spending more and buying an amp as well

Advantages: Retain the OEM look as well as the steering wheel controls and clock etc.
Disadvantages: Expensive and there may not be enough space behind the centre console to mount the amp (which is why it needs to be small)

OPTION 1b

Single DIN HU + pocket spacer OR Double DIN HU £230ish
RHD Fascia kit NOT MADE
Radio aerial adapter £20
Steering wheel control adapter £20
wiring harness adapter £15

Total £285 + cost of the fascia kit when someone makes one

A lot more leads to buy to ensure steering wheel as well as factory wiring integration (even the aerial connector is an odd shape :()

Advantages: Much more flexible in that I can pick and choose my HU and there's no need for an amp. Ability to add a sub at a later date as most HU's have pre-outs nowadays
Disadvantages: Not an option as I cannot find a RHD version of the Scosche or Metra fascia kits anywhere anyway

Now onto the speakers

OPTION 2a

4x coaxials to simply replace the existing stock ones £100ish
4x speaker brackets not made in the UK yet or simply re-use the OEM ones by cutting the factory speakers out and discarding them and placing the new ones inside £0
Factory trim removal tool £5

Advantages: Retain the OEM look with no drilling - simply drop in replacements
Disadvantages: May not sound the best?

OPTION 2b

2x Coaxials to replace the rear speakers £50ish
2x Components to replace the front speakers £100ish
4x speaker brackets not made in the UK yet or simply re-use the OEM ones by cutting the factory speakers out and discarding them and placing the new ones inside £0
Factory trim removal tool £5

Advantages: Better sound up front (where I want it ;))
Disadvantages: More expensive and requires drilling/mounting new holes for the tweeters (and I have no idea where to mount the crossover either).

I'm leaning towards options 1a and 2a at the moment but which combination would you recommend and why? (bearing in mind I'm finding it difficult to source the fascia for RHD here in the UK for now :(, and I think an OEM look wouldn't be that bad really :))

Thanx for any help  ;D

Tags: