Author Topic: Using an iPod through the Jazz GE's USB  (Read 7617 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Using an iPod through the Jazz GE's USB
« on: February 21, 2010, 08:57:21 PM »
Anyone ever tried it?

Can you use the USB cable supplied with the iPod or do you need a dedicated cable?

I read the new Ford Fiesta needs a 'Y' cable which plugs into both the AUX in (for sound) and USB (for iPod control and power) which to me sounds like cost-cutting.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Using an iPod through the Jazz GE's USB
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 09:46:20 PM »
According to the GE's manual, it's supported without any extra leads. It's supposed to even show a Honda logo on the iPod. The car's audio system understands certain low complexity AAC files (as used on iTunes). I've tried AAC/M4A files on a USB stick (I haven't got an iPod) but couldn't work out the exact format it wants.

JOCK55

• Approved Member
  • Returned and hopefully not forgotten!
  • My Honda: 2009, 1.4 EX Manual
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 01:14:01 PM »
I use an iPod all the time in my Jazz. It works just fine with just the USB cable that was supplied by Apple. The steering wheel controls operate the volume and allow track selection. I do not get a Honda logo on the display of the iPod, but I do get a message on the audio player that an iPod is connected to the AUX socket.

A good interface, however, it would have been even better if they had included a holder for the iPod or a division in the central console that would fit the iPod. As it is you just have to let it rattle around in the largest slot available in the console. I guess there ar so many sizes and shapes of iPod it may be somewhat impracticable to do this.

By the way, I have backed up some of my iTunes library onto CD and it displays and plays these discs just as it would the iPod.

Regards,

Jock
My other car is a 2015 Range Rover Sport....
No, seriously, it is!!!

guest1160

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 08:02:05 AM »
I have just starting using my I-Pod classic with the apple usb cable supplied.  All works fine, displays the Honda logo and display ipod usb on the radio.

I am finding it very difficult to find my way around the artists/albums/playlists from controls either on the steering wheel or on the central facsia  >:( and the ipod is locked out so cannot use that either (not a good idea any way while driving).

Has anyone got any clear instructions/expertise on how to use the functions properly, the Honda manual doesn't giver a lot away.

;D

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:55:01 AM »
Pushing the central button on the radio puts you at the top directory (folder) and you can select directories (turn the knob to change) with a push, then you can repeat that to drill down to an individual file. The organisation of file may be different in the filesystem than any playlist that you've set up. (This is guesswork as I haven't an iPod, but I do know that the radio doesn't have playlist support.)

JOCK55

• Approved Member
  • Returned and hopefully not forgotten!
  • My Honda: 2009, 1.4 EX Manual
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 03:29:28 PM »
From my experience of using the iPOD Classic with the radio in my GE 1.4 EX, is that it WILL play Playlists, as per Nowster described, by using the central button on the radio. As I say it does play my playlists, but not in the order they are in on the original list.

Hope this helps.
My other car is a 2015 Range Rover Sport....
No, seriously, it is!!!

Tags: