Author Topic: Rear wheel burning smell.  (Read 2261 times)

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
Rear wheel burning smell.
« on: November 26, 2020, 12:11:31 AM »
Noticed a burning smell from my right rear wheel recently. I put my hand on the alloy and it felt hot. All the other wheels are stone cold!

Do you think it's the rear caliper binding? Or rear brake not adjusted properly? If the former, how much do you think I will be looking at?

The Jazz is 11 yrs old with 110,000 miles. Thanks in advance!

geoffchats

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi
Re: Rear wheel burning smell.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 01:36:54 AM »
My guess, as a reasonably clued-up happy amateur, is that you have either a binding brake or a worn-out wheel bearing. Have you tried getting the car on a very slight downwards slope and seeing if the car will roll freely with all brakes off? And is there any grinding noise, even slight, when the car is being driven? Worth trying and listening. My hunch would be it's a sticking/binding brake piston...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 07:20:36 AM »
Sounds like a seized calliper to me. More likely the slide rather than a piston so a clean up may be enough. It depends what it has done to the pad; replacement pads may be required. If it is just a sticky slide, I would do the other side at the same time, especially if you end up fitting new pads.

123Drive!

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 08:01:33 AM »
Sounds like a seized calliper to me. More likely the slide rather than a piston so a clean up may be enough. It depends what it has done to the pad; replacement pads may be required. If it is just a sticky slide, I would do the other side at the same time, especially if you end up fitting new pads.

I had the pads replaced in September...not sure if the adjustment of the handbrake has any thing to do with this?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 08:52:57 AM »
If it has worn away the pad, whether it is calliper or cable, unfortunately, you may end up having to replace them again.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 10:07:36 AM »
Sadly, Jocko's spot on.

Again, I suspect someone has replaced the pads without cleaning all the scale from the calipers. They really do need to be spotless these Jazz calipers, or the new pads will stick.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 10:29:17 AM »
Do you think it's the rear caliper binding? Or rear brake not adjusted properly? If the former, how much do you think I will be looking at?

The Jazz is 11 yrs old with 110,000 miles. Thanks in advance!

I don't know if you have any DIY skills or the time or the tools, but I can say that this job could be done for free, or parts only. Search the forum as it has lots of posts on replacing the components and there is a Youtube video that helps. I do not consider myself a mechanic, somewhat similar to geoffchats description of "a reasonably clued-up happy amateur", but I managed to replace the rear discs and pads on our Jazz.  :D

123Drive!

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 01:32:18 PM »
An update. The rear caliper has been replaced as it has seized. £160 at my local independent garage. So far so good but only problem is that I now need to paint it back to yellow ....! Thanks again everyone.

Tags:

anything