Author Topic: Jazz 2007 headlight bulb replacement ?!  (Read 4192 times)

Vigman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4. Automatic
Jazz 2007 headlight bulb replacement ?!
« on: February 13, 2021, 03:15:31 PM »
Having looked at YouTube , I can't believe how difficult Honda has made changing a headlight bulb on my 2007 Jazz (UK)

The best video shows removing the front bumper and the headlight housing to remove the headlight assembly just to get at the headlight release clip which seems utterly ridiculous !!

Another video seems to show there is access under the wheel arch liner??

Both are difficult for a standard driver and impossible for a disabled one (not wheelchair bound but unable to carry out strenuous physical activity) like myself.

It's crazy I can't use the car with a main beam blown until I can get to a garage? I've ordered some Osram H4 bulbs on Amazon for delivery tomorrow (a Sunday) but can't find a garage in West Oxford to do this on Monday morning which is a pain as I have hospital appointments that will finish in the dark next week.

I thought I'd seen bad design before but making the replacement of a critical component which is usually simple, a garage job, is ridiculous. Would the AA do this at the roadside?

Please can someone let me know which is the simplest method please? I'll get both main bulbs changed so they match.

In the meantime please find that designer so I can give him a good kick up the ...........

TIA

Vigman

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Jazz 2007 headlight bulb replacement ?!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 03:18:32 PM »
The wheel arch liner is the easiest way, but it doesn't all have to come off. Try Halfords. They supply AND FIT bulbs for you for an additional £16.90 (bulb £8.90).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 03:21:53 PM by Jocko »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 03:49:07 PM »
Yup - Mk1 headlight bulbs are a PITA,  but not the worst.  I used to take wheel off ( check brakes at same time ) and peel under-arch liner back,  always found nearside bulb easier because i am right handed ( and the screenwash reservoir gets in the way on drivers side ) - when I did a lot of miles in MK1's, many in the dark, I used to change both bulbs every year on a nice warm, dry summers day.  The plastic liner is a lot more flexible in summer,  can be tough and even crack on a cold day.   If proper quality H4 LED bulbs been available back then I would have bought them in a heartbeat and swapped them when I sold the car.  You can just about get access if you turn front wheels fully to make more room behind headlight, but I always found taking wheel of a lot better.

If you do them yourself remember that of the 3 location lugs on an H4 bulb ( about 120 degree spacing) the widest one faces upwards when they are installed,  makes it easier as space and visibility is real tight around the bulb.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 04:11:47 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Vigman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4. Automatic
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 05:11:56 PM »
The wheel arch liner is the easiest way, but it doesn't all have to come off. Try Halfords. They supply AND FIT bulbs for you for an additional £16.90 (bulb £8.90).

Thanks. On a local group someone said Halfords won't touch the Jazz headlight bulbs at our nearest branch!?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 05:55:19 PM »
I think they turn their nose up at anything you can't do yourself.

Bulb fitting is only available on select vehicles please get in touch with your local Halfords for more information.

Please be aware that all fittings are subject to pre-inspection in-store.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/services/halfords-car-bulb-fitting-service.html

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 06:29:04 PM »
I think they turn their nose up at anything you can't do yourself.

Bulb fitting is only available on select vehicles please get in touch with your local Halfords for more information.

Please be aware that all fittings are subject to pre-inspection in-store.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/services/halfords-car-bulb-fitting-service.html

They will have a few cars on their list of 'hard to fit' category, to charge £9 to fit a bulb to mk2 would be daylight robbery.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 07:20:36 PM »
I put my reg in, it came back with the car details, then quoted me £16.90.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 08:19:04 PM »
I put my reg in, it came back with the car details, then quoted me £16.90.

They also quote £16.90 for our mk2 Jazz, which is a doddle... and also quote £16.90 for a Renault Modus, which AFAIK Halfords have always refused, as the bumper has to come off. I tried a few registrations for different cars, and they all quote £16.90.

I understand that it's down to the individual branch's discretion whether they do them or not, they have a blacklist that they check when you roll up.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 08:42:17 PM by sparky Paul »

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 11:33:19 AM »
I tried to change one of my bulbs, even asked my dad (trained as a mechanic out of school), both us had no luck. In the end I paid my local independent garage that services and repairs my car a fiver to change it for me, he found it real PITA.

My dad worked with British Leyand and Renualt cars over the years and had some interesting stories of the silly design features of those cars - I think Mk1 Jazz headlights must rank high up that list!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 11:59:46 AM »
I once had to change the thermostatic valve attached to the heater matrix on the SAAB 99. I think the heater matrix must be the first thing to come down the production line then the rest of the car is assembled around it.

I avoid using my lights as safely as possible to try and put off as long as possible the need to replace a bulb!

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 12:46:10 PM »
I avoid using my lights as safely as possible to try and put off as long as possible the need to replace a bulb!

I use my lights all the time without fail. Mind you, if I had to remove the bumper to replace the bulb, I might rethink it! It's absolute bul****t design to involve removal of body parts to replace a bulb. 

I look at modern LED lights, such as Audi sweeping indicators, and wonder how much they will cost to replace!!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 01:33:37 PM »

I use my lights all the time without fail. Mind you, if I had to remove the bumper to replace the bulb, I might rethink it! It's absolute bul****t design to involve removal of body parts to replace a bulb. 

I look at modern LED lights, such as Audi sweeping indicators, and wonder how much they will cost to replace!!

I also use my lights on car at first sign of reduced visibility, and on modern motorbikes you cannot turn therm off ( do Volvo make motorbikes ? ) -  lights are your best friend on a motorbike,  which is why I fit some LED DRL as soon as I get another bike. a SMIDSY ( sorry mate I didn't see you ) is the most common form of motorbike accidents ( not helped by the very rapid acceleration and small frontal profile of a motorbike ).  I also fitted a flashing auxiliary LED brake light to present bike, flashes for 5 seconds when brakes first applied then goes steady.  Have to consciously apply brakes on my bike to activate brake lights if anyone is following me,  as a V twin the engine braking is awesome and brakes only really needed in traffic and to come to a complete stop.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 01:44:08 PM »
I too use my lights in reduced visibility, headlights not just sidelights, but in good visibility, I don't switch my lights on until sunset (what passes for lighting up time these days). And even then I still have my lights on before many, especially those that drive around with front DLRs and nothing else.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 04:03:18 PM »
(what passes for lighting up time these days). 
:D :D I think some folk like to play the 'headlight challenge' eg how dark can it get before they put them on! Fools. 

For me, dipped headlights whenever the car is moving, even in sunny weather.

@culazean My '06 CBF 1000 has the lights on all the time, only a high beam switch. I think it's a euro safety thing.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 11:49:07 AM by Westy36 »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 04:26:17 PM »
I think some folk like to play the 'headlight challenge' eg how dark can it get before they put them on! Fools. 

I think many of those driving around on DRLs at night, and in poor visibility, are completely oblivious to the fact that they are doing anything wrong. There was a time when a lack of tail lights would guarantee you a pull.

Tags: