Author Topic: SE rear brakes  (Read 615 times)

orcadian

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz SE
SE rear brakes
« on: April 12, 2021, 06:50:03 PM »
Bit of a lockdown job really but decided to strip, clean and generally check the rear brakes on our early Gen 3.  All quite straightforward Honda stuff, so no real surprises for a 27,000 miler.  Sometimes, especially after washing the car, there is the familiar clonk as the pads free themselves from the discs - had it before on other cars and it's usually the pad 'ears' tight in the calliper mount bracket.  Sure enough, discs good, pads fine but quite tight in the mount, even though there are stainless slipper plates in there.  Decided to remove the bracket which has bolts with about 6 threads too long - so that extra thread was rusty and took a lot of back and forth moving to eventually get those bolts out - and no, you can't get to the rusty bit with a wire brush!  The slider pins were very free and well lubricated.  I stripped the mount bracket of its pins, stainless plates and rubbers and soaked it in Bilt Hamber DEOX-C which brings the metal up like new again.  A couple of coats of Electrox zinc rich spray and everything reassembled without drama.  Before reassembly I also removed, de-rusted and re-sprayed the disc shield which is held on with 3 off 6mm bolts.  A few minutes with a fine file on the pad 'ears' soon had those ready to fit back - with a little smear of 'Corrosion Block' grease.

All in all a worthwhile little job which will save a lot of anguish as the miles increase and new pads and discs might eventually be needed.  Yes, I did both sides!

If you look after your own servicing, it might be worth just removing and cleaning those calliper mount bolts - with a few more years on, they could well snap during removal.  Another rather stupid part of this set up is that the calliper sliders are free to rotate - even though they have a square head, so you need TWO spanners to remove the bolts from them - whereas other manufacturers make the square rest against a projection on the calliper..

Ian

Tags: